Forum Index » Photography » Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: lion. on 12/04/2013 18:13:57 MST Print View

Thanks Dave.
I just came back with many more pictures from the last couple of days, but none come close to the others :(
Many nighttime ones and a few at five thirty pm, half an hour after I was there.....but the lion came too close to the camera and I have dozens of shots like this

Chest

Chest

Lion

The others are hard to beat, but I like getting to know the pattern of this cat.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Me on the trailcam looking a bit worried on 12/04/2013 20:40:44 MST Print View

Approaching the camera; I have a hat with eyes on it, a dog, a hiking pole and....if you look closely I have my knife drawn in this picture. I only do that in this particular spot on the trail where the big cat seems to hang out a lot even in daylight :)

Kat

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Me on the trailcam looking a bit worried on 12/04/2013 21:35:32 MST Print View

You've posted some great pictures here. Mountain lions can be scary - glad you are taking some precautions!

I've seen two mountain lions in the past two years. One from the safety of my car. And the other one on the trail. I had stopped to take a break near a small creek and a mountain lion came out from some brush on the other side and began growling at me. I suspect he may have just killed a deer (I had scared away a group of about five just a few minutes earlier). My dog (chow-spitz mix) immediately began whimpering and hid behind me and we slowly backed up and then basically ran out of there.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
hollywood sign on 12/07/2013 23:01:15 MST Print View

some scientists are tracking a cougarhere in LA in the hollywood hills where a cat roams.f

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: hollywood sign on 12/08/2013 02:08:12 MST Print View

I dunno. The shadows in that photo are all over the place, as though it was done with studio lighting. Suss, a bit suss.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: hollywood sign on 12/08/2013 02:12:06 MST Print View

The cougars in Hollywood are a completely different species.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: hollywood sign on 12/08/2013 04:06:42 MST Print View

> The cougars in Hollywood are a completely different species.
Ah ... yes, but do they wear collars quite like that? :-)

Cheers

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
real on 12/08/2013 08:57:46 MST Print View

http://www.panthera.org/node/4206

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Amazing photos, cougar risk on 12/08/2013 10:39:53 MST Print View

Really cool photos. Quite an accomplishment getting them.

I think it's natural to get a little nervous knowing their are mountain lions in the area, but the danger likely isn't as high as people might think.

There are perhaps 30,000 mountain lions in the U.S. http://mountainlion.org/FAQfrequentlyaskedquestions.asp

There have been about 8 people killed by cougars in the U.S. since 1980, about 33 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

So about .24 people are killed per year in the U.S. by cougars.

There are about 17,000 murders per year in the U.S.

About 1 out of 20,000 people commit a murder in a given year in the U.S.
http://bucktrack.blogspot.com/2011/02/bears-should-you-be-afraid.html

So for 30,000 people in the U.S. there would be about 1.5 murders in a year vs .24 deaths for 30,000 cougars.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Amazing photos, cougar risk on 12/08/2013 12:07:40 MST Print View

I agree that the risk is not very high for the average person. Hiking daily on a trail that is visited several times a month by two mountain lions is a little different though. I still do it, but I believe the precautions I take and the bit of fear is not uncalled for.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/08/2013 12:13:06 MST Print View

I am going to go higher up the trail this afternoon. Ideally I would love to place the camera at the top of one of the steep trails with a beautiful ocean view. That would be a sweet shot :)
Wish me luck!!

Edited by Kat_P on 12/08/2013 18:17:17 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Amazing photos, cougar risk on 12/08/2013 12:21:49 MST Print View

"So for 30,000 people in the U.S. there would be about 1.5 murders in a year vs .24 deaths for 30,000 cougars."

Ah, but how many of those murders were committed by disappointed cougars.....

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Me on the trailcam looking a bit worried on 12/08/2013 17:25:58 MST Print View

" have a hat with eyes on it, a dog, a hiking pole and....if you look closely I have my knife drawn in this picture."

Your dog is your best asset. He/she'll pick up the cat's scent and let you know there's one nearby by basically going nutso.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/08/2013 17:42:04 MST Print View

Kat, that almost looks like the hill above the coast.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 02/02/2014 14:46:26 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/08/2013 18:10:51 MST Print View

Something like that....

Edited by Kat_P on 12/08/2013 18:16:45 MST.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/10/2013 09:36:10 MST Print View

"Suss, a bit suss."

Anyone here have a translator for this? Best I can google, Suss = realize/grasp/investigate.

Is suss Oz for shenanigans?

Katharina,

Keep the pictures coming. This is one of my favorite BPL threads.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/10/2013 09:41:05 MST.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Suss on 12/10/2013 11:48:33 MST Print View

=suspicious/suspect?

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Suss on 12/10/2013 12:00:18 MST Print View

"=suspicious/suspect?"

That'll work. Thanks.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 16:52:08 MST Print View

These are from my two lower cameras, closer to the house. I have not checked up higher; it is getting too close to sunset ...but I am hopeful.

Deleted for the time being. Sorry but People stealing my pics got to me. Will try to watermark.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/04/2014 14:10:31 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:24:03 MST Print View

Excellent work. I like the daylight shots better, but this is good for nighttime.

Geez, I wish the U.S. Army had something this good back forty-odd years ago. All we had were Starlight Scopes, and everything was green.

Now, go look back over your recent shots for the last few weeks and study the animals. Does it look like one animal that shows up time and time again? Or, do you have a whole pride of mountain lions haunting the area? I think that I've seen at least two mountain lions in your shots, but you probably have the high resolution images that may reveal more.

It appears that the exposure is more accurate when the animal is farther away. Can you say about what distance that is? Some trail cameras are more sensitive than others. Or, rather, some trail cameras emit a higher power of infrared light.

--B.G.--