Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 17:26:41 MST Print View

Just a preview. I have over 100 from this morning :)

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:28:14 MDT.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 17:56:57 MST Print View

Wow! Great photo!

That one looks like he could use a meal soon - keep wearing your hat!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: re: Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 18:05:08 MST Print View

Here are a few. Hard to choose.

Many more will be on Flickr

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:32:08 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:16:17 MST Print View

Date and time are wrong. I didn't set them on my camera. But this is 5 minutes up the hill from the other one.

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:33:55 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 18:21:10 MST Print View

Whoa Kat!!!

I'm in awe.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:22:00 MST Print View

These are all so cool Kat, thanks for sharing. That's a beautiful lion you've got in your backyard.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:39:02 MST Print View

I am really enjoying seeing these, Kat! Thanks so much for posting them. It's pretty amazing to see these cats in such detail; they are beautiful animals.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:47:22 MST Print View

That is too cool how low that cat can crouch and move. What would happen if see hung some meat about eight feet up in front of the camera? A jump shot!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 19:41:01 MST Print View

Thanks everyone for coming along with me on this little journey. It's been very satisfying. I took my daughter along with me this afternoon and when we put the SD card in the field viewer and saw the first two close up pictures she was ready to go home asap. :-0

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 19:42:03 MST Print View

Kat, these are so cool! I'd love to know more about all this. What do you look for in a camera that can do this kind of stuff? Are they heavy, could I take one backpacking and set it up near camp to see what critters visit me during the night? How do you know where to set them up?

Steve G
(sgrobben) - M

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 20:35:42 MST Print View

Amazing photos! Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
santa cruz pumas on 11/26/2013 20:55:38 MST Print View

Are you in touch with these guys? http://santacruzpumas.org/research/
I bet they would love all the data you're collecting.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Nice on 11/26/2013 21:32:59 MST Print View

I have lived in the middle of them for 13 years and hiked all over the place around here. I know they have seen me, but I still have not seen one in the wild. Guess that is their specialty, so no surprise. A few days ago there was a hullabaloo a few houses up, but of course I missed it, where a guy found one clamped to his dog and had to kick it to get it off. Apparently the dog was not too bad off. Maybe mountain lion plays with their food for a bit sometimes too - like a house cat.

Anyway, jealous!

The cat in your pictures doesn't look all that well fed - though maybe I'm comparing them to the fat and happy ones at the desert museum.

Edited by millonas on 11/26/2013 21:35:56 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
trail camera on 11/26/2013 21:36:27 MST Print View

I left my trail camera out on Sunday night near Columbia, and all I got was one stinking raccoon video.

--B.G.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: trail camera on 11/26/2013 22:47:49 MST Print View

Just had the family gathered around the computer oohing and ahing over your pictures. We're interested in trying this out too and would love to hear more about your hardware.

Love how that mountain lion stalked your camera.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: trail camera on 11/26/2013 23:01:28 MST Print View

Thanks again for letting me share these with you.
@Doug and Ian, I am organizing some info and more details about this little trail camera expedition I have been on. Thanks!
@Mark, I have been extremely lucky here and I know it. Just the fact that the pictures have gotten better and better is a blessing. This cat is the smaller one. I don't think it's skinny though. It's a bit stretched out in the first series I posted today, as it just came up a side trail.
@Sharon, I know about the Puma Foundation, but I have not been in touch with them.
My landlords are just as excited as me and just had me over to show them a slideshow on their big screen. They already offered to get some higher end cameras and to let me use one of their ATV's to go to the more remote trails on the ridge.....

@Craig, Hiking Malto and the others thanks so much.

@ Bob, sorry you did not have anything more exciting on there.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Just saw a different mountain lion ( collared) on the way home.. on 11/27/2013 21:49:47 MST Print View

My daughter's first mountain lion, on our road. She got a good look at it; it climbed up the rocks on the side of the road, in the dark. I stopped and handed her the flashlight and she opened the window and pointed at it and it looked back at her ...
This one had a collar on it. One of the ones the Puma Foundation has tagged and is tracking.
Another 30 yards and a bobcat jumped across the road too.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Just saw a different mountain lion ( collared) on the way home.. on 12/02/2013 15:42:04 MST Print View

Saw this video today and thought about your cats

http://www.wimp.com/meetslions/

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Lions on 12/03/2013 21:04:31 MST Print View

@Ian
I saw that. Very cool!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
lion. on 12/03/2013 21:18:10 MST Print View

Kat,

Those pictures are the coolest. Thanks for sharing them!