Forum Index » Photography » Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 18:51:23 MST Print View

I went for my camera check a little later than usual, after sunset. This camera is on a trail that goes up the mountain. Less than 100 yards from tha cabin.
I brought a field viewer with me, crouched down, put the card in and after several fox pictures here came the mountain lion one. I got up as quick as I could just a bit shaky.
I usually bring my dog but he was sore so I went alone..
Knife in hand and with quite the heartbeat I walked back home just a few minutes ago.
Yes, I was a bit scared...

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:22:28 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 18:57:23 MST Print View

"Yes, I was a bit scared..."

No kidding, you should see the picture he got of you! :-)

That is very cool Kat (no pun intended, well, maybe...).

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:04:46 MST Print View

Congrat!

I'm jealous.
I'm envious.
I'm motivated.

Good job!

Just remember, s/he has been there all along and hasn't been interested in you. Nothing has changed.

More when you get a chance, please.

Edited by greg23 on 11/12/2013 19:05:32 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:11:26 MST Print View

Thanks. I am thrilled. Those are the only lion ones I have. Plenty more bobcats, foxes and deer on that trail within 2 days. I figure now I will get more ...

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:11:59 MST Print View

Normally a big cat like that will attack a smaller human if it can jump you from behind. Then it tries to bite on on the back of the neck. So, wear a football helmet and football shoulder pads so that it can't get a good bite.

Bear spray would be another good tool to have.

--B.G.--

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:15:09 MST Print View

Kat, you did do it! Very cool to share it with us. I've never seen a big cat in the wild, at least not in the U.S. I actually hope that I never get that close to a big cat, no matter what Greg suggests. But Kat P., just wondering... did you find any cat pee after it was over? Just teasing ya a bit...

Great work with the camera!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:31:08 MST Print View

For the next attempt, how about smearing some tuna fish on the tree to get a close-focus shot?

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:33:29 MST Print View

Bob, I tried something like that and got over 100 pictures of a skunk.....
I think I will put my other camera on the same tree, but facing the other way.

Gary......cat pee....the mountain lion or did you mean I peed my pants? :)
Neither though.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:46:44 MST Print View

For most animals of this nature, the standard bait is canned cat foot, covered by a thin layer of lard or grease to keep it from drying out too quickly. I would try to leave it about two feet high on a tree. That way, the smaller animals can't get to it.

--B.G.--

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:47:10 MST Print View

I'm jealous! And it is hard to make me jealous about North American megafauna. Bighorn, Dall, Moutain goats, Grizzlies, Brown, Barren-ground (yeah, those are different), black bears literally for breakfast, tons of elk (Roosevelt, Tule, Rocky Mountain, Manitoban), moose, caribou, bison, pronghorn, white-tail, black-tail, mule, lynx, bobcat, jaguar, peccary, blah, blah, blah.

It is pretty much down to mountain lions and wolverines for me.

And you saw one of those. Cool!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:55:05 MST Print View

Kat isn't going to get any night wolverine shots in California, but the high population of deer will entice just about any self-respecting mountain lion to that area.

David, I have the ones on your list except for jaguar and peccary, and I have only one wolverine.

--B.G.--

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 19:57:14 MST Print View

Cool! Sorry you were scared.

We have friends who live on a rural lake and there were kitty sightings in the area. They had goats too, which is like a Denny's sign on the interstate for a big cat. They go to the mailbox with a big dog and a 12 gauge. There are black bears too.

Another cool thing to do is to rake out some smooth dirt or sand in that path. The tracks can be great. Salt licks can attract all kinds of hooved critters.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 20:12:23 MST Print View

I don't think I will bait....but thanks for the tip Bob.
I also got to know, as in tell apart, some of the younger deer and would rather not influence things one way or the other.

Here is a cute deer one from the camera another 50 yards up on a different trail.

Deer

These two are from the same spot, camera, within a couple of days.

Fox

Bobcat

Busy trail.

Edited by Kat_P on 11/12/2013 20:15:10 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/12/2013 20:23:37 MST Print View

I don't think there's any reason to be scared.

Mountain Lions are pretty common but they don't like us to see them.

I've seen Mountain Lion tracks on top of mine from the previous day.

They're in the brush, watching you all the time.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Cool photos! on 11/12/2013 20:26:51 MST Print View

Cool photos, thanks for sharing.

I've never been able to get my camera out and turned on fast enough to capture even a half ways decent bear or mountain lion sighting.

I'm lucky to catch a glimpse of them. And then they're gone.

Are you using some kind of motion trigger for these photos?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Cool photos! on 11/12/2013 20:35:46 MST Print View

Hi Nico,
I use "trail cameras" which are triggered by motion and changes in temperature. Depending on the camera you can have it more sensitive ( but will get every little bird in there) or less sensitive. Some can do video. My nicest one, the one I used here, only takes pictures and does have a slight red light when it captures, but it's speed and recovery time are great. Another camera is completely covert when it shoots, but it has a much slower recovery rate between shots.
I have seen this cat before but never even came close to having enough time to take a picture, nor was I anything like this close.

Jerry.....I am not worried, but I would not say that there is no reason to be concerned. That isn't very good advice. I think I am about the right amount of concerned. I still go out, enjoy the trails but I have an adequate dose of fear.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Cool photos! on 11/12/2013 21:06:15 MST Print View

Appropriate paranoia is a good thing.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Cool photos! on 11/12/2013 21:13:44 MST Print View

Kat, some of the better trail cameras have more batteries inside, and that leads to more available power for night infrared illumination.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a wireless link inside that could transmit those images over to your house? You could just sit at home and see what was happening. There are some like that, but the wireless range is pretty limited.

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Cool photos! on 11/12/2013 21:18:41 MST Print View

I didn't mean to be disrespectful or anything : )

I get scared from Mountain Lions, like the time I saw tracks on top of mine. It was following my tracks, so it must have been aware of me. I camped near by that next night and was a bit freaked. But not enough to go someplace else : )

Or the time the fire was dieing down and I was about to go to sleep, and then I saw two pairs of eyes go by in the dark 100 yards away. I don't know what type of creatures they were, maybe Coyote or Mountain Lions, or Deer? I threw on some logs, and after a while I got tired and just went to sleep anyway.

Sometimes I put a sturdy stick next to me, or trekking pole - might be a good defensive weapon.

Got to get one of those cameras...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Cool photos! on 11/12/2013 21:22:29 MST Print View

"Wouldn't it be nice if there was a wireless link inside that could transmit those images over to your house? You could just sit at home and see what was happening. There are some like that, but the wireless range is pretty limited."

There are trail cams that will send a picture to your cell phone, provided of course that it can connect. And cell coverage can now be found in amazing places.

Edited by greg23 on 11/12/2013 21:23:01 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cool photos! on 11/12/2013 21:28:41 MST Print View

One model will send the image wirelessly to a controller that is up to 500 feet away. Then you get the image file from the controller. The purpose behind that is that your valuable images do not exist at the trail camera, so there is little point in a thief trying to steal the camera, and they don't know exactly where the controller is hidden.

Kat will probably need to bury a high-capacity fiber optic cable down her driveway and along the road so that she call haul all of the images back to her place. A year from now we will be paying annual memberships to view her wildlife shots.

--B.G.--

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Great photos! on 11/12/2013 23:34:54 MST Print View

Kat,

Great photos! We know the mountain lions are out there, but it's great to see them.

I feel privileged to have seen two in 30 years of tramping around these mountains. Ironically, one of those sightings was in our back yard, about 20 feet from my office window. I don't worry about mountain lions. I worry a lot more about human attacks than wildlife attacks.

I hope you get lots more photos, and share them.

-- Rex

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re:"Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!" on 11/13/2013 04:53:13 MST Print View

Very cool, Kat!

Thanks for sharing!

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Cool cat, Kat! on 11/13/2013 16:05:46 MST Print View

You have a right to be proud and excited!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re:"Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!" on 11/13/2013 16:20:39 MST Print View

Next, you want to get the mountain lion to pose for the camera.

mountain lion with an appetite

That's why I mentioned using tuna on the tree.

---B.G.--

Erik G
(fox212) - F

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Very Cool on 11/13/2013 16:35:43 MST Print View

Kat, that's awesome that you got some pics of the beast!!! Mountain Lions are truly impressive creatures. I wonder if they like catnip the same way their little domestic cousins do...

I've seen one mountain lion, on my parents' old property in the Napa Valley. It had gotten over our 8' perimeter fence/wall and seemed to be unable to find a way out. For a couple weeks it was stuck on our property (so it seemed), and I saw it a few times retreating into the woods. Also heard it 'roar' a couple times as I came home from work in the evenings and that was quite thrilling...Nice kitty... :)

I might have to get me a few of these trail cams...

Edited by fox212 on 11/13/2013 16:36:57 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Very Cool on 11/13/2013 17:25:16 MST Print View

Thanks everyone for indulging me with this .
I placed another one facing the other way. I should probably stay away a few days...
I see what you mean Bob; did you take that one?
Believe me I almost stopped at the store to get cat food...:)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Very Cool on 11/13/2013 22:10:09 MST Print View

Yes, I shot that one in 2008. Yes, a long lens.

I think a trail camera is good for little critters like your grey fox, or maybe a skunk.

--B.G.--

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Locale: NW New Mexico
another bpl lion on 11/15/2013 13:01:00 MST Print View

I saw this thread a few days after a very close (8 yards) encounter with a mountain lion in the Zuni Mtns, NM.

lion in center

I was turkey hunting (stalking and chirping) at the time, and watched the lion for about 2 minutes at that distance before it seemed to finally identify my totally camo position (un-gloved hand to take pic seemed to give away my postion) and started to crouch and lean in closer. I yelled and fired over its head to scare it off. BPL inspired gear on the hunt was a SPOT, Gtx roclite boots, 7oz. rain gear. This was the second lion (different location) I had seen in 4 days, and the second chance inspired me to take the chance, remove my finger from trigger, and try to get a photo. Much like Kat's experience; one of the best adrenaline shots in years!

gun barrel @ bottom of pic, lion above @ 8 yards

Gun barrel @ bottom of pic, lion at center of pic @ 8 yards. Pine cones and needles in foreground show relative proximity.

Edited by kbuggie on 11/15/2013 13:06:40 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: another bpl lion on 11/15/2013 14:50:11 MST Print View

That gun barrel sticking up there makes it look like a video hunting game.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: another bpl lion on 11/15/2013 15:16:28 MST Print View

@Kevin,

8 yds!

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Re: Re: another bpl lion on 11/15/2013 15:28:00 MST Print View

@Eugene, yup 8. Went back the next day with a friend to verify distance and measure tracks. Think it was a female or young Tom. I was just off of a MTB trail (Berma/Quaking Aspen) you might have ridden in the Zuni 50/100 endurance race

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 11/16/2013 13:14:38 MST Print View

Kat...that's awesome! Now when are we going to see the Sasquatch pics???

Matt

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Met it on the trail :-0 on 11/17/2013 09:39:22 MST Print View

Yesterday I hiked the trail a little further up the mountain to place a camera where I was hoping to get daytime footage. I had hiked up further on another trail before; this one was new to me, but prints and large scat were a good indication that this trail was used regularly by the mountain lion.
This time I did bring my dog, wore a pack high on my back and a hat with sewn on eyes on the back....
My dog was constantly in my way, right by my legs; it was windy which I did not like because even though I kept talking to my dog I thought the sound was nor being carried in the direction we were going.
We walked around a corner and there it was, about 15 yards from us. My dog Is half blind with catharacts, almost deaf and generally clueless and did not see a thing. The lion looked up and took a few very slow steps back before leaping off the trail. My dog never noticed a thing but made sure to roll in the freshest lion scat he found.
On one hand it did not feel too threatening because the cat looked like it just wanted to get away as quickly as possible; on the other hand I do feel like this was a bit close for comfort and maybe I am pushing my luck a bit.
I placed my camera near that spot.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Met it on the trail :-0 on 11/17/2013 10:15:00 MST Print View

Hot Zone!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Met it on the trail :-0 on 11/17/2013 11:38:39 MST Print View

We walked around a corner and there it was, about 15 yards from us.
Notice an adrenaline surge, perhaps?

My dog never noticed a thing but made sure to roll in the freshest lion scat he found.
Could it be that our Kat has joined Andrew Skurka in that elite club of those who've scared the scat out of large predatory mammals? (he-he)

We have infrequent lion sightings in my locale (northern midwest) but they are transients. Seems likely that Kat's is a resident.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Met it on the trail :-0 on 11/17/2013 14:26:38 MST Print View

@Jim

Yes, adrenaline rush and rapid heart beat for sure.
My dog Spotty, poor thing, I guess he was trying to take on the smell of a big cat. Like many dogs he seems to love rolling in some awful smelling dead things too...

This one does seem like a resident. I have found the bones of 3 fawns and one five point buck nearby. I think it is pretty young. I hear the younger ones and females have a smaller radius of territory and circle around more often. Bigger guys make bigger rounds.

@Bob
Your picture is clearly far superior than any of mine. I wasn't really even hoping for a National Geographic type shot; I am just glad to have something. I would love a face shoot, though.
I am also doing this to get a pattern of this and other animals that come by.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Met it on the trail :-0 on 11/17/2013 15:10:58 MST Print View

"I would love a face shoot, though."

That could be arranged.

I would construct a small temporary blind (Brit: a hide) and keep my eyes open overnight.

Yes, these trail cameras are good for scouting purposes, just to see what animals are out there and at what times of the night.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Met it on the trail :-0 on 11/17/2013 15:16:59 MST Print View

"Seems likely that Kat's is a resident."

There are at least a couple of dozen mountain lions active in the Santa Cruz Mountains. They thrive anyplace like there where there are lots of deer around. Then also, some of the residences are suburban and rural, and they have pets running loose in the yard. The mountain lions have been hitting them pretty good around Felton.

--B.G.--

Big Daddy
(Warrior) - F
Wow on 11/21/2013 11:15:17 MST Print View

It would be thrilling to capture such a beautiful animal. There have been a few spotted about 25 miles away from me, which is very unusual for this part of the country. (Central Illinois)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Wow on 11/21/2013 13:48:15 MST Print View

If there is enough natural deer food in your area, then there will be some deer. If there are enough deer in your area, then there will be some mountain lions. They especially like it if there is enough underbrush and trees for good hiding. Although mountain lions are capable of swimming, they really don't like to swim much. So, if you have big rivers that block the mountain lions from getting into your area, you might need to venture out farther to find them.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Wow on 11/21/2013 15:05:00 MST Print View

The Puma foundation says there are about fifty in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
I think if anything that is a bit conservative. Just one mountain north of me a camera captures five different animals within a four month period.
Deer are definitively abundant here and the lion population has steadily been increasing and coming closer to inhabited areas.....including one that snatched a chihuahua from an "upstairs" deck a couple miles from here.
While I am glad to know they are here, I also know that the more frequent attacks on live stock will not end well for some of these cats. One more reason, really, for me not to bait them.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Bobcat and lion on 11/21/2013 17:41:35 MST Print View

The mountain lion came back but the video I got in the rain wasn't very good. I took my nicer camera in because of the rain and left my cheaper one out, oh well.
My other camera got some bobcat pictures that came out ok.

Bob

Bob

Bob

Bob

The little video is here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katpierini/

Edited by Kat_P on 11/21/2013 18:00:26 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Bobcat and lion on 11/21/2013 17:50:18 MST Print View

It would be so cool to have a live camera link.

Heheh-- it would be fun to have a speaker and a remote mic.... BOO! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{cat hitting sound barrier}. I do that to neighborhood cats stalking birds. I've got a couple to do full back flips. I'm so bad....

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Bobcat and lion on 11/21/2013 18:03:34 MST Print View

Excellent.

I have a Bushnell as well, but I don't have as much ready access to animal trails.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 15:39:45 MST Print View

I am placing the camera up the trail a little further, following tracks on the path. I am still not sure which way she ( I think) comes down, but this is one of her paths up the mountain.
I will upload a little frontal video on Flickr as well

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:24:34 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 15:46:25 MST Print View

Excellent.

Well, the Kat and the cat are headed in the right direction.

Next, get some natural debris like a dead tree branch and put it along that path to "funnel" the cat in the direction that you want, maybe toward the camera. You don't want to block the path, because then it will go around outside of the camera frame.

Next, we want to see the cat in the hat.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 16:21:41 MST Print View

I think I found what you are talking about. The trail makes a sharp turn, but the tracks go right through a small funnel down the hill at the turn. I placed my other camera right where I think it walks from there. There is a big root sticking out and I strapped the camera right there.
This is too much fun.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 16:59:26 MST Print View

Kat, keep us posted with your results.

I have a Bushnell, but I don't live close enough to the woods to use it daily.

A friend wanted me to use it to get images of a wood rat, but they aren't much fun until you see them climbing.

--B.G.--

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 17:52:31 MST Print View

Nice kitty. Keep the pictures coming!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/24/2013 13:28:09 MST Print View

Busy night around here. I am not positive, but this lion looks bigger to me than what looks to be the female from yesterday. Also reading up on these cats, the males leave scrapes and this one definitively made a pile of cones and sticks and left a very large scat, just off sight of the first camera..
Until now this looked the trail up, but this guy ( ?) came down it and then went to my furthest camera as well.
I am only posting a few, but this was the best day yet. Within a couple of hours there were deer :(, a skunk, the older bobcat and this mountain lion.

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:25:42 MDT.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 10:11:01 MST Print View

Wow those are some great pictures! You are really fortunate to have this kind of wildlife in your backyard but I must admit that it'd give me the heebie-jeebies knowing that big buy is lurking in the immediate area.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 11:57:16 MST Print View

Amazing!

But now I'm a bit hesitant to bring my kids to your house...

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 16:42:47 MST Print View

"Also reading up on these cats, the males leave scrapes and this one definitively made a pile of cones and sticks and left a very large scat, just off sight of the first camera.."

Excellent pictures! I thought the bobcat was a cheetah at first, with the long legs and short muzzle, but the short tail gave it away, not to mention you're not in Africa. Just a first impression.

I read somewhere that mountain lions bury their scat. Did this one make any attempt to cover up?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 16:54:06 MST Print View

@Ian.
I am definitely circumspect and a little afraid as well. I now wear a hat with big sewed on eyes in the back. I heard villagers in India wear masks on the back of their heads and it has cut down on attacks from Bengali Tigers, because cats like to attack from behind and big eyes are a deterrent.

@Casey.
Well, we would just stick close by....I have little ones that visit and used to let them hike a few yards ahead of me on the trail. Not anymore; I carry them now.

@Tom
This cat made several scrapes on the trail and left the scat right on top. I cannot tell you how strong it smells.....pretty amazing. In my series of pictures on Flickr you can see the last one when only the tail shows and it's all curled up while "depositing the scat". It was just beyond the range of the camera. My cats bury theirs, but from what I read when big male cats do this they are leaving a clear message; either just marking their territory or leaving it for a female. I repositioned the camera.....we'll see.

Edited. Tom, I did not upload all the pictures, but after the last one at 7:16:53 there were three more just showing the tail and giving a hint of what was happening there.

Edited by Kat_P on 11/25/2013 16:57:51 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 17:45:59 MST Print View

"This cat made several scrapes on the trail and left the scat right on top. I cannot tell you how strong it smells.....pretty amazing. In my series of pictures on Flickr you can see the last one when only the tail shows and it's all curled up while "depositing the scat". It was just beyond the range of the camera. My cats bury theirs, but from what I read when big male cats do this they are leaving a clear message; either just marking their territory or leaving it for a female. I repositioned the camera.....we'll see."

I'll be looking forward to the next chapter.

"Edited. Tom, I did not upload all the pictures, but after the last one at 7:16:53 there were three more just showing the tail and giving a hint of what was happening there."

Deleted. Apologies for attempted humor in a serious thread. :(

Edited by ouzel on 11/26/2013 15:24:10 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 18:33:32 MST Print View

Hey Kat, are you worried at all about your house kitties with these big kitties roaming around?
Awesome pictures, hopefully you can get one of a mountain lion during the day.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 19:24:27 MST Print View

Justin,
Yes, I am worried. We have two cats. Mama cat is mostly indoors and I close the window at night so she stays in. Our boy cat "Banana" is a hunter and travels far and wide; he did not get fixed until he was bigger and he usually comes home only two or three times a week. Thankfully he has been here this whole last week, which makes me wonder if he knows the big cats are around and he is choosing to stay safe. Honestly I think with him it is only a matter of time, sooner or later something will get him; I may sound calloused, but I am not. I care about this cat a lot and I try to keep him in when I can. I know some people think I should just make him an indoor cat only, but I won't; he is having a great life and I will not force him to live indoors only. I know I might get flamed here...

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 19:33:08 MST Print View

"I know I might get flamed here..."

You sure shouldn't. It is the way he was meant to live, free until he dies. The only problem comes when cats live free in urban areas, where they kill inordinate numbers of song birds and dig their cat holes in other people's gardens. I'm glad you didn't fix him until he was older, too. That way he hopefully got to experience that part of a free cat's life as well. Good for you.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/26/2013 00:52:20 MST Print View

Nice pics Kat!

I agree with your attitude re: the house cats--to some extent nature has to run it's course despite human feelings and attachments. Hopefully the house cats are smart enough to stay out of trouble, and hopefully the big Cats are not inclined to eat something that might sort of smell akin to themselves.

Btw, re: India and tigers, i've heard that too, but i've also heard that some of the tigers have caught on to the trick, and it's not a deterrent as they seem to be able to tell the difference after awhile--but this seems to be rare from what i've read.

Oh, i've heard that for Cougars, cinnamon actually acts more like catnip with them, than catnip does with certain other species of cats. Might be interesting to see a reaction to it on camera sometime. I learned this at the Big Cat Rescue down near/in Tampa Bay FL wherein they house many different kinds of big cats. Oddly, some big cats really prefer catnip, and some really prefer cinnamon, and i seem to remember that cougars tend to prefer the cinnamon overall.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 17:26:41 MST Print View

Just a preview. I have over 100 from this morning :)

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:28:14 MDT.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 17:56:57 MST Print View

Wow! Great photo!

That one looks like he could use a meal soon - keep wearing your hat!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: re: Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 18:05:08 MST Print View

Here are a few. Hard to choose.

Many more will be on Flickr

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:32:08 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:16:17 MST Print View

Date and time are wrong. I didn't set them on my camera. But this is 5 minutes up the hill from the other one.

Edited by Kat_P on 04/25/2014 09:33:55 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Day time!!! Close up shots on 11/26/2013 18:21:10 MST Print View

Whoa Kat!!!

I'm in awe.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:22:00 MST Print View

These are all so cool Kat, thanks for sharing. That's a beautiful lion you've got in your backyard.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:39:02 MST Print View

I am really enjoying seeing these, Kat! Thanks so much for posting them. It's pretty amazing to see these cats in such detail; they are beautiful animals.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 18:47:22 MST Print View

That is too cool how low that cat can crouch and move. What would happen if see hung some meat about eight feet up in front of the camera? A jump shot!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 19:41:01 MST Print View

Thanks everyone for coming along with me on this little journey. It's been very satisfying. I took my daughter along with me this afternoon and when we put the SD card in the field viewer and saw the first two close up pictures she was ready to go home asap. :-0

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 19:42:03 MST Print View

Kat, these are so cool! I'd love to know more about all this. What do you look for in a camera that can do this kind of stuff? Are they heavy, could I take one backpacking and set it up near camp to see what critters visit me during the night? How do you know where to set them up?

Steve G
(sgrobben) - M

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: Re: From other camera on 11/26/2013 20:35:42 MST Print View

Amazing photos! Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
santa cruz pumas on 11/26/2013 20:55:38 MST Print View

Are you in touch with these guys? http://santacruzpumas.org/research/
I bet they would love all the data you're collecting.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Nice on 11/26/2013 21:32:59 MST Print View

I have lived in the middle of them for 13 years and hiked all over the place around here. I know they have seen me, but I still have not seen one in the wild. Guess that is their specialty, so no surprise. A few days ago there was a hullabaloo a few houses up, but of course I missed it, where a guy found one clamped to his dog and had to kick it to get it off. Apparently the dog was not too bad off. Maybe mountain lion plays with their food for a bit sometimes too - like a house cat.

Anyway, jealous!

The cat in your pictures doesn't look all that well fed - though maybe I'm comparing them to the fat and happy ones at the desert museum.

Edited by millonas on 11/26/2013 21:35:56 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

trail camera on 11/26/2013 21:36:27 MST Print View

I left my trail camera out on Sunday night near Columbia, and all I got was one stinking raccoon video.

--B.G.--

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: trail camera on 11/26/2013 22:47:49 MST Print View

Just had the family gathered around the computer oohing and ahing over your pictures. We're interested in trying this out too and would love to hear more about your hardware.

Love how that mountain lion stalked your camera.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: trail camera on 11/26/2013 23:01:28 MST Print View

Thanks again for letting me share these with you.
@Doug and Ian, I am organizing some info and more details about this little trail camera expedition I have been on. Thanks!
@Mark, I have been extremely lucky here and I know it. Just the fact that the pictures have gotten better and better is a blessing. This cat is the smaller one. I don't think it's skinny though. It's a bit stretched out in the first series I posted today, as it just came up a side trail.
@Sharon, I know about the Puma Foundation, but I have not been in touch with them.
My landlords are just as excited as me and just had me over to show them a slideshow on their big screen. They already offered to get some higher end cameras and to let me use one of their ATV's to go to the more remote trails on the ridge.....

@Craig, Hiking Malto and the others thanks so much.

@ Bob, sorry you did not have anything more exciting on there.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Just saw a different mountain lion ( collared) on the way home.. on 11/27/2013 21:49:47 MST Print View

My daughter's first mountain lion, on our road. She got a good look at it; it climbed up the rocks on the side of the road, in the dark. I stopped and handed her the flashlight and she opened the window and pointed at it and it looked back at her ...
This one had a collar on it. One of the ones the Puma Foundation has tagged and is tracking.
Another 30 yards and a bobcat jumped across the road too.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Just saw a different mountain lion ( collared) on the way home.. on 12/02/2013 15:42:04 MST Print View

Saw this video today and thought about your cats

http://www.wimp.com/meetslions/

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Lions on 12/03/2013 21:04:31 MST Print View

@Ian
I saw that. Very cool!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
lion. on 12/03/2013 21:18:10 MST Print View

Kat,

Those pictures are the coolest. Thanks for sharing them!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: lion. on 12/04/2013 18:13:57 MST Print View

Thanks Dave.
I just came back with many more pictures from the last couple of days, but none come close to the others :(
Many nighttime ones and a few at five thirty pm, half an hour after I was there.....but the lion came too close to the camera and I have dozens of shots like this

Chest

Chest

Lion

The others are hard to beat, but I like getting to know the pattern of this cat.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Me on the trailcam looking a bit worried on 12/04/2013 20:40:44 MST Print View

Approaching the camera; I have a hat with eyes on it, a dog, a hiking pole and....if you look closely I have my knife drawn in this picture. I only do that in this particular spot on the trail where the big cat seems to hang out a lot even in daylight :)

Kat

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Me on the trailcam looking a bit worried on 12/04/2013 21:35:32 MST Print View

You've posted some great pictures here. Mountain lions can be scary - glad you are taking some precautions!

I've seen two mountain lions in the past two years. One from the safety of my car. And the other one on the trail. I had stopped to take a break near a small creek and a mountain lion came out from some brush on the other side and began growling at me. I suspect he may have just killed a deer (I had scared away a group of about five just a few minutes earlier). My dog (chow-spitz mix) immediately began whimpering and hid behind me and we slowly backed up and then basically ran out of there.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
hollywood sign on 12/07/2013 23:01:15 MST Print View

some scientists are tracking a cougarhere in LA in the hollywood hills where a cat roams.f

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: hollywood sign on 12/08/2013 02:08:12 MST Print View

I dunno. The shadows in that photo are all over the place, as though it was done with studio lighting. Suss, a bit suss.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: hollywood sign on 12/08/2013 02:12:06 MST Print View

The cougars in Hollywood are a completely different species.

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: Re: hollywood sign on 12/08/2013 04:06:42 MST Print View

> The cougars in Hollywood are a completely different species.
Ah ... yes, but do they wear collars quite like that? :-)

Cheers

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
real on 12/08/2013 08:57:46 MST Print View

http://www.panthera.org/node/4206

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Amazing photos, cougar risk on 12/08/2013 10:39:53 MST Print View

Really cool photos. Quite an accomplishment getting them.

I think it's natural to get a little nervous knowing their are mountain lions in the area, but the danger likely isn't as high as people might think.

There are perhaps 30,000 mountain lions in the U.S. http://mountainlion.org/FAQfrequentlyaskedquestions.asp

There have been about 8 people killed by cougars in the U.S. since 1980, about 33 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America

So about .24 people are killed per year in the U.S. by cougars.

There are about 17,000 murders per year in the U.S.

About 1 out of 20,000 people commit a murder in a given year in the U.S.
http://bucktrack.blogspot.com/2011/02/bears-should-you-be-afraid.html

So for 30,000 people in the U.S. there would be about 1.5 murders in a year vs .24 deaths for 30,000 cougars.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Amazing photos, cougar risk on 12/08/2013 12:07:40 MST Print View

I agree that the risk is not very high for the average person. Hiking daily on a trail that is visited several times a month by two mountain lions is a little different though. I still do it, but I believe the precautions I take and the bit of fear is not uncalled for.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/08/2013 12:13:06 MST Print View

I am going to go higher up the trail this afternoon. Ideally I would love to place the camera at the top of one of the steep trails with a beautiful ocean view. That would be a sweet shot :)
Wish me luck!!

Edited by Kat_P on 12/08/2013 18:17:17 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Amazing photos, cougar risk on 12/08/2013 12:21:49 MST Print View

"So for 30,000 people in the U.S. there would be about 1.5 murders in a year vs .24 deaths for 30,000 cougars."

Ah, but how many of those murders were committed by disappointed cougars.....

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Me on the trailcam looking a bit worried on 12/08/2013 17:25:58 MST Print View

" have a hat with eyes on it, a dog, a hiking pole and....if you look closely I have my knife drawn in this picture."

Your dog is your best asset. He/she'll pick up the cat's scent and let you know there's one nearby by basically going nutso.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/08/2013 17:42:04 MST Print View

Kat, that almost looks like the hill above the coast.

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 02/02/2014 14:46:26 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/08/2013 18:10:51 MST Print View

Something like that....

Edited by Kat_P on 12/08/2013 18:16:45 MST.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Going higher up this afternoon. on 12/10/2013 09:36:10 MST Print View

"Suss, a bit suss."

Anyone here have a translator for this? Best I can google, Suss = realize/grasp/investigate.

Is suss Oz for shenanigans?

Katharina,

Keep the pictures coming. This is one of my favorite BPL threads.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/10/2013 09:41:05 MST.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Suss on 12/10/2013 11:48:33 MST Print View

=suspicious/suspect?

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Suss on 12/10/2013 12:00:18 MST Print View

"=suspicious/suspect?"

That'll work. Thanks.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 16:52:08 MST Print View

These are from my two lower cameras, closer to the house. I have not checked up higher; it is getting too close to sunset ...but I am hopeful.

Deleted for the time being. Sorry but People stealing my pics got to me. Will try to watermark.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/04/2014 14:10:31 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:24:03 MST Print View

Excellent work. I like the daylight shots better, but this is good for nighttime.

Geez, I wish the U.S. Army had something this good back forty-odd years ago. All we had were Starlight Scopes, and everything was green.

Now, go look back over your recent shots for the last few weeks and study the animals. Does it look like one animal that shows up time and time again? Or, do you have a whole pride of mountain lions haunting the area? I think that I've seen at least two mountain lions in your shots, but you probably have the high resolution images that may reveal more.

It appears that the exposure is more accurate when the animal is farther away. Can you say about what distance that is? Some trail cameras are more sensitive than others. Or, rather, some trail cameras emit a higher power of infrared light.

--B.G.--

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:26:05 MST Print View

OK, last few times I was very suspicious, seeing the cat looking into the camera all the time, that he/she was hamming it up. Now I am sure! LOL

I suppose it may be able to see some of the IR, and may be curious. Or maybe I am imagining it.

Edited by millonas on 12/16/2013 17:30:32 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:31:28 MST Print View

@Bob,
I think there are two cats here. One seems older and could be the mom, since mothers and daughters can somewhat share the edges of their territories. Not sure though.

The Reconyx I can set with the infrared going further out, which makes the closer shots less clear, or with less range, which makes the shots better. I just switched yesterday to lower quality but longer infrared reach because I had many dark shots where something came by but not close enough. Now I wish I had left the higher quality setting since it came so close...

I agree the daytime ones are "it" and there may be some up top; I will be checking in the next few days.

@Mark,
Yes, if it looks straight at it it sees a faint red glow. That's why some people have them higher up because the animal won't look right into them.
My other camera is completely covert but the pictures are not as good. I might switch location, we'll see.

Edited by Kat_P on 12/16/2013 17:33:45 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:37:05 MST Print View

It's too bad that trail cameras like this store only JPEG images. If they could store RAW images like an expensive camera, then slightly better images can be coaxed out of it.

And then... if you worked in the design shop for Reconyx or Bushnell, and you could make improvements to the design, what would you try to get them to do?

I have a Bushnell.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:42:03 MST Print View

I'll have to think about that Bob....but having RAW images would be good.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:49:23 MST Print View

At some point in time eight or ten years ago, Dr. Rodney Jackson was doing trail camera work in Tibet, attempting to photograph the elusive snow leopards there. They didn't have quite the same kind of camera hardware then as we have today, and they had to mount the expensive cameras inside steel boxes with heavy rocks over them. I attended one of his presentations in SF, and he was trying to recruit volunteers to go over to Tibet and help him. I think they had regular walking patrols to change the batteries and look for photos saved.

Kat, we could sign you up for this.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 17:54:30 MST Print View

I am in!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 18:30:07 MST Print View

I think I understand what he's trying to say.....

.kat's kat

Edited by idester on 12/16/2013 18:33:21 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 19:13:22 MST Print View

Too funny Doug!

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: The cat is back. More pictures. on 12/16/2013 19:16:08 MST Print View

The big kitty has a hairball.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

This cat is smart! on 01/03/2014 18:31:26 MST Print View

This afternoon I hiked up and found that this Mountain lion walked behind two of my cameras and then changed course all together avoiding my third one.
The ground is dry, but I have gotten better at seeing the tracks; he ( I think) walked right behind and must have smelled them from the unfortunate angle. The spot where I got the most pictures has been avoided and I saw a new trail/ scramble a few yards from it.

And so it goes, trying to get some more shots of this beautiful creature. While have to admit that I am a little disappointed right now, I also see how much I have learned from this experience and my continued search. I hike with new awareness, not only prompted by a bit of fear, but by my observing paths, tracks, broken branches, scat and smells. I have been reading about these cats as well .

In the meantime, here are a few smaller cat ( bobcat) pictures. This old guy is all over every night.
He always climbs on the rock that I had placed to strap my camera on.

Bob

Bob

Bob

Bob

Bob

And this odd kat shows up all the time too :)

Kat

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: This cat is smart! on 01/03/2014 22:13:50 MST Print View

I'm rooting for a Grey Fox next :-)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

For Mark on 01/03/2014 22:26:55 MST Print View

Fox

Fox

Fox

Fox

Fox

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: game cameras on 01/03/2014 23:07:05 MST Print View

This is really cool.

I need to set one of these up in my back yard. We have raccoons and opossums all over the place-- six miles from downtown Seattle. But then there are beavers, bald eagles, gray herons, coyotes, and there have been a couple bears and cougars over the years.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: For Mark on 01/04/2014 00:15:27 MST Print View

Sweet! I really like seeing them in the SC mountains!

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Pictures on 01/04/2014 00:45:32 MST Print View

Awesome work Kat. Your photos are a treasure.
I've been hiking the southern end of the Arizona Trail for years, have seen four lions, and recently there has been a lot of jaguar activity here. I'm not exactly terrified but I have stayed away from the Santa Rita section of the trail, as there has been over ten separate groups of photos taken by game and fish with their game cams there in the first six months of 2013. There is also jaguar activity in the mountains east of us on the New Mexico/Arizona border, as documented by a local rancher here named Glen Warner in his book "Eyes of Fire". The jaguar is a completely different type of cat, they do not fear man and are legendary in Mexico for their boldness. I hike alone a lot so I'm extremely vigilant (for this reason and others), and it pays to be constantly analyzing track and watching the wind direction. The birds will go silent if there is a predator around also. I used to ride horses all the time and they always told me when a big cat was around and I felt safer with them, but they have passed away and I'm afoot now.
We have finally replaced our old game camera with a new one, and have a functioning horse trough in our pasture where we set the camera up and are hoping to some day get a photo of a jaguar or mountain lion. We have already gotten photos of bobcat, javelina, coyotes, deer and an occasional kit fox, and of course lots of jackrabbits.
Your pics are really cool. Such a variety of wildlife near your home is wonderful and shows a very healthy ecosystem.

Edited by Drusilla on 01/04/2014 08:26:04 MST.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re: wildlife pics on 01/04/2014 05:42:01 MST Print View

Kat, I've really enjoyed this thread! Thanks so much for sharing, and keep em' coming!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: This cat is smart! on 01/04/2014 07:39:44 MST Print View

Really enjoying your pics Kat. Keep 'em coming!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Thanks, and a few more on 01/04/2014 08:08:21 MST Print View

Thanks everyone!

These are still from my very lucky day a while back.
I love how many different expressions this guy has in such a short period of time.

Deleted for the time being. Sorry but People stealing my pics got to me. Will try to watermark.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/04/2014 14:13:02 MST.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Re: Thanks, and a few more on 01/04/2014 08:10:34 MST Print View

I'm really liking these photos too, Katharina, but I'm glad we don't get mountain lions where we hike!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Thanks, and a few more on 01/04/2014 10:36:14 MST Print View

Nice pictures, Kat

That Bobcat sitting on a rock reminds me of domestic housecat behavior

William, I think there are Mountain Lions everywhere. They just don't let you see them.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Big cat is back :) on 01/06/2014 18:31:42 MST Print View

I went to check on one camera and found a large fresh scat right in front of it...only problem the batteries were dead and the card empty :(. That's what happens with the cheaper camera that does not tell you the battery status!

The next camera on it's path caught 6 pictures and an 18 second video. This is my Bushnell, which is nice for the video and the pretty good quality pictures, but it's much slower than the Reconyx.

Such a pretty animal . Those paws!!

Edited by Kat_P on 02/04/2014 12:50:08 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Big cat is back :) on 01/06/2014 19:14:31 MST Print View

Very nice pics of the cat, Kat.

The ability to monitor remote locations at very low cost is pretty amazing. It opens up all sorts of research possibilities. I mean, beyond the usual Big Brother and Peeping Tom stuff - actual science and more definitive wildlife management data.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
SC Cougars on NPR on 01/07/2014 08:24:55 MST Print View

Did anyone hear this story on NPR about the Santa Cruz Puma Project?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: SC Cougars on NPR on 01/07/2014 08:31:52 MST Print View

I did. The Project is run by a researcher at UCSanta Cruz, where I work.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Link to video on 01/07/2014 08:42:56 MST Print View

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katpierini/11809668824/

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Link to video on 01/07/2014 13:01:50 MST Print View

Just look at those giant paws! Look at that fat tail!

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Link to video on 01/07/2014 13:23:40 MST Print View

Fantastic!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Link to video on 01/07/2014 17:39:52 MST Print View

What a beautiful animal. Nothing moves quite like a big cat. He sure is one wary critter. It's no wonder we don't see them very often.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Link to video on 01/07/2014 19:04:51 MST Print View

@Bob, I agree, those paws are phenomenal; probably my favorite part of this last series.
@Nick, thanks! And thanks for the shout out on my hats as well :)
@Tom, yes, a wary critter, but I have some thoughts of what was going on there...
A little bit of background.
I think this is a male, given the way it scrapes and leaves scats piles on top of the scrapes. I also think this is a young, 18 to 24 months old cat, because it still has a bit of spots on his coat. ( I have been reading up on them, including all the great work from the Puma Project).
This particular spot is where it seems to spend some time at, versus just walking by. This is where it usually either heads down a steep bank into a rocky gulley and eventually a small creek. This is also the spot where it seems to cut the switchback and just heads up straight and then shows up at another camera more in the open, but usually at night. This time it chose to go straight through, avoid the open trail and get into a rocky bank most likely heading up but hugging the mountain through a more protected area. I have another camera set up higher where it seems to climb back onto a trail from that side but I have not checked it; trying to give the cat more privacy in that upper area. The spot in the video is also where it has left two visible scrapes that could indicate the edge of it's territory. So my theory is that all the circumspection could be about any or all of the following:
1. Here it smells my dog, a horse, the bobcat, me etc.
2. Here it is possible that it may meet another male, which is a big deal as the chances of getting killed by another male are quite high. This possibly being at the edge of it's territory means it really needs to pay attention.
3. Leaving a scrape is also how they hope to attract a neighboring female.
4. It was trying to decide which way to go?

I also think that it just ate a big meal, for it to come from the lower neighborhood in the morning.

This afternoon I went to a midway point where I found old tracks. I hauled up half a plastic barrel and was able to tap Into the water line and filled it. I also wet the sandy clay all around the water container hoping to get some good fresh tracks that could tell me which way it goes from there.

Meantime, one of neighbor cats tracked by the PumaProject has been getting Into trouble in the little town four miles from here. Last week it took a cat from someone's yard right in front of them right before dark. It also snatched a small dog from a deck but dropped it when the owners went at it. Most of the pets and livestock troubles seem to come from collared cats around here; makes me wonder if the repeated capture and collaring from humans makes them more used to humans..

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Lions on 01/13/2014 21:47:23 MST Print View

Down here folks catch lions eating dogfood off their porches and drinking water from fountains and pools. Same thing with the bears. And coati mundi and javelina. And yes I think they get familiar with more contact and it leads to unfortunate circumstances. Nice filming Kat. That cat sure was thinking about something with that twitching tail!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Lions on 01/14/2014 07:41:57 MST Print View

"...makes me wonder if the repeated capture and collaring from humans makes them more used to humans..."

Or if repeated human, et al, contact (encroachment) leads to capture...

Edited by greg23 on 01/14/2014 07:54:12 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Lions on 01/14/2014 10:03:46 MST Print View

Yes, encroachment on their territory is definitively an issue. However, where I live there are far less people now than 100 years ago. On the other side on the mountains is a different story.
Drought must play a part is seeing more of them, since they are after deer and deer come down to irrigated areas even during the winter..

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Lions on 01/14/2014 11:34:03 MST Print View

Glad to see all of your work is still progressing. The cat in the video is beautiful. I'm no expert, but from what little I know, I'd agree he looks like he's pretty young still.

One thing I've noticed with many of sequence shots and the video is the cats seems to be very cautious in their movements when in front of the camera. They spend a lot of time looking at, or toward the camera, and in some cases even getting down low to "stalk" the camera. Made me wonder if the cats can hear the camera shutter clicking or the camera(s) triggering on when the cats approach, thus causing the cats to act/move with caution.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Lions on 01/14/2014 12:20:25 MST Print View

"if the cats can hear the camera shutter clicking"

Most of these cameras are noiseless. The shutter function is electronic, not electromechanical.

I suspect that they are curious about that strange object strapped onto the tree, and it might have some human scent around it.

--B.G.--

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Got a Mountain Lion photo in Alaska. on 01/14/2014 18:15:14 MST Print View

Mountain Lion Operating System

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Got a Mountain Lion photo in Alaska. on 01/14/2014 18:34:14 MST Print View

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 06:34:06 MST Print View

I've been looking at and searching for mountain lion photos lately and found two of mine claimed by different people in Virginia and Tennessee.
"Check out what my uncle's trail cam got on his farm!!"
" look what's been lurking behind our house...:-0!!! "

I guess it's easy to snap a picture with an iPhone or ipad of what is one the screen. Anyways, I changed my settings on my Flickr page so only friends and family can see them. If I know you or you come across as trustworthy, I can still give you access.

Thanks, Katharina

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 06:53:14 MST Print View

"I guess it's easy to snap a picture with an iPhone or ipad of what is one the screen."

On a PC, Alt PrintScreen captures the image on the computer screen. So will a right click and Copy Image. I sure there are equivalents on a Mac. Photoshop does the rest.

If you want to put the images up for public view you can overlay them with "see through" labels. (But if someone wants to take a little time, they can remove the overlay.)

KatsKats

Edited by greg23 on 01/22/2014 06:57:05 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 07:17:37 MST Print View

Thanks Greg. I will look into that.
I don't even know exactly why it bothers me, but it does.

Brian Crain
(brcrain) - F

Locale: So Cal
Re: Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 11:50:58 MST Print View

"I've been looking at and searching for mountain lion photos lately and found two of mine claimed by different people in Virginia and Tennessee.
"Check out what my uncle's trail cam got on his farm!!"
" look what's been lurking behind our house...:-0!!! "

I guess it's easy to snap a picture with an iPhone or ipad of what is one the screen. Anyways, I changed my settings on my Flickr page so only friends and family can see them. If I know you or you come across as trustworthy, I can still give you access.

Thanks, Katharina"

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist or anything but don't assume that it is someone snapping a screeny from your Flickr.

If you google "black pug" the 3rd image there is a black pug puppy with her tongue sticking out, closed mouth, and a green grass background... if you frequent facebook there is a good chance that you may have seen that same pic with some cute or witty caption, it has been all over the place.

My son took that picture ~3yrs ago on his iPod touch. We have never used the "cloud" on any device we own, the photo was never emailed, posted, or shared electronically with friends, family, or anyone else - it was downloaded/sync'd from his iPod touch to our home PC once and has only "existed" (with our knowledge or permission) on his Ipod and that hard drive since. I have absolutely no idea how it made it's way out but it is everywhere.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 15:14:01 MST Print View

@Brian,
That's disturbing to hear, not just for pictures, but for everything else.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 15:42:46 MST Print View

Kat,

What others do is to be expected on the Internet. Too many people do not recognize other people's property rights. Sign of the times, I guess. Don't lose any sleep over it unless someone starts making money off it or libels you.

Brian Crain
(brcrain) - F

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Re: Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 16:22:38 MST Print View

@Kat, very much so. I have always assumed that anything that I put "out" (email, texts, social media, etc.) wasn't secure ...but that picture never left my house (or so I thought). I was pretty irritated/angry/and generally at a loss to understand how - I still don't. It isn't just the NSA out there poking around ;)

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Others claiming my photos. on 01/22/2014 17:49:43 MST Print View

If the pictures were mine... What would bother me is that they stole credit for the picture. I've seen tons of mountain lion scat but zero kitties in the wild. You've put a lot of time and money into your photography and it's discouraging to see armchair quarterbacks take credit.

Again, that's me. Not trying to speak for you.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Our Kat's pics on SF Chronicle website!!! on 01/27/2014 00:18:19 MST Print View

Hey Kat - I was browsing sfgate.com tonight, saw a very familiar picture of a mountain lion, and thought "I know that lion"! Very cool that your picture was the headliner - congratulations!

http://blog.sfgate.com/stienstra/2014/01/25/pics-from-wildlife-cams-tell-a-story-30-pic-gallery/#19908101=0

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Our Kat's pics on SF Chronicle website!!! on 01/27/2014 07:03:09 MST Print View

Thanks D.k.
No new pictures, in fact I was getting a little worried but I saw the cat this morning at 5:15 and got a pretty good look at him. Caught him around the corner in a spot with steep banks on either side of the road and while he decided which way to go I saw him well enough to determine that it was the young cat that appears in almost all of my pictures.

By the way, the brownies were a hit. I ate five of them, adding to my usual "winter coat" :)

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: "your" lion on 01/27/2014 09:24:25 MST Print View

Is that the first time you've seen one of them outside the camera lens (other than while driving, as I think I remember you reporting)? That must have been a thrill.

Glad you enjoyed the brownies :-)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: "your" lion on 01/27/2014 10:39:02 MST Print View

This was while driving this morning, but I did encounter him on the trail a while back ; he could not wait to get away so it did not feel too scary, but my heart was still thumping.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "your" lion on 01/27/2014 19:26:10 MST Print View

"but I did encounter him on the trail a while back ; he could not wait to get away so it did not feel too scary, but my heart was still thumping."

Gosh Kat, that's how I felt the first time I met you! Of course, you could not wait to get away, but my heart was thumping! :-)

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: "your" lion on 01/27/2014 19:42:57 MST Print View

Doug, Doug, Doug.....

thank you.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: "your" lion on 01/28/2014 10:52:14 MST Print View

Too funny Doug!
Maybe something to do with the "feisty" reputation I seem to have ( going around at the GGG)....

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "your" lion on 01/28/2014 12:23:26 MST Print View

Enough, enough with the catty remarks.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

More pictures. The mountain lion is back! on 02/01/2014 18:08:58 MST Print View

Well I asked the mods to delete the thread because I feel that my location has been made too public and I don't like that. I have not heard back yet.
In the meantime I just got many more pictures from the last couple of days. Here are a few.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/04/2014 12:52:02 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: More pictures. The mountain lion is back! on 02/01/2014 18:35:43 MST Print View

Is the catnip working?

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin

Re: More pictures. The mountain lion is back! on 02/01/2014 18:55:24 MST Print View

Hi kat

Love the tails on those animals.

Cheers
Roger

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: More pictures. The mountain lion is back! on 02/02/2014 09:24:31 MST Print View

The catnip you put there seems to work Bob :)
Remember the upper spot, past the poison oak? There was a fresh scat there and I think the pictures in color are of a different cat than the younger one. No stripe from the eye to the temple. I think it's a female and she peed ( have pictures to prove it), later on the other guy came buy and smelled for 3 minutes.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Fun photos, Kat on 02/02/2014 09:38:53 MST Print View

"I think it's a female and she peed"

So then the cat peed cat pee, Kat P?

I hope that the mods don't delete this thread, as I am enjoying what you are sharing. But I do understand what you are thinking. If you start getting photos of camera-toting day hikers, then we'll know that the word is out about where to spot a cat. Then the cats will probably go somewhere else.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Fun photos, Kat on 02/02/2014 09:56:33 MST Print View

I think there are cats all over, but they just avoid us so we don't know they're there

Cat pee Kat P? hmmm....

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Fun photos, Kat on 02/02/2014 10:03:21 MST Print View

From reading up on the published puma project papers I learned that while they come very close to people, they do so when feeding. Daytime they go further out. Females with cubs go to even more remote areas. I do believe that more humans around will make the cats less present, but they will still come around at night.

Yes, cat pee, Kat_P, cougars......one can have a field trip here :)

It is a nice coincidence that I go by Kat, that I am a Leo and have quite the luck with big cats.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: More pictures. The mountain lion is back! on 02/02/2014 12:54:50 MST Print View

"Remember the upper spot, past the poison oak?"

Oh, yes. The rash has now cleared up.

I was in a snowy patch two weeks ago, and there were mountain lion paw tracks in the snow all over the place. It was one adult plus one kitten. The kitten always walked in the tracks of the adult. Unfortunately, the catnip did not bring them out.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Fun photos, Kat on 02/02/2014 12:58:05 MST Print View

Next, Gary will be offering to sell mountain lion traps made out of titanium wire.

--B.G.--

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Please don't delete on 02/02/2014 13:31:00 MST Print View

Kat,
I love this thread. Could it be sanitized through editing?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Please don't delete on 02/02/2014 14:02:42 MST Print View

I will try Hiking Malto.
Maybe Bob G. Could you edit the one post a way back where you guessed the location?
Thanks, Katharina

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Please don't delete on 02/02/2014 15:39:35 MST Print View

I don't there's any risk of the thread being deleted, but I'm too lazy to go back and see what words are "offensive" : )

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Please don't delete on 02/02/2014 15:40:55 MST Print View

Jerry, you are lazy indeed. Nothing offensive going on.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please don't delete on 02/02/2014 15:49:22 MST Print View

Offensive to post location?

Not enough attention span to figure out what the hell you're talking about : )

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please don't delete on 02/02/2014 16:09:47 MST Print View

Jerry please read up or quit spamming, really. Like I said, nothing offensive. Nothing offensive.ok? Nothing offensive.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please don't delete on 02/02/2014 16:32:14 MST Print View

Maybe it should be called trolling?

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Please don't delete on 02/03/2014 07:49:10 MST Print View

I now have my Flickr photos related to my trail camera set as visible to friends and family only. If you are BPL member with a Flickr account I can add you as a friend.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katpierini/

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Please don't delete on 02/03/2014 08:05:54 MST Print View

Does this imply you will no longer post the "cat of the day" here?

...wimper

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Fun photos, Kat on 02/15/2014 20:03:18 MST Print View

Just to spur you onward ...

LACat2

Edited by greg23 on 02/15/2014 20:15:19 MST.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 02/15/2014 21:19:58 MST Print View

Your Trinity Alps pictures!

Oh, add me as a friend so I can see your cats. Pitsy ATX

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 02/16/2014 16:14:12 MST Print View

Ok I will.

Thanks Greg. I got a few more last week...

Edited by Kat_P on 02/16/2014 16:20:06 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!! on 02/16/2014 18:30:53 MST Print View

me too !!!!
Austral Leo

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Couple of updates on 02/22/2014 15:48:00 MST Print View

1. A young friend in the nearby town got his first trailcamera and I helped him set it up ( not the location) and gave him some tips last Monday. Yesterday he got the camera and had several mountain lion pictures on it, bobcats and deer. In less than a week.
2. I found a freshly killed deer up the hill this morning and set up two cameras by it. Wish me luck :)

Deer

Edited by Kat_P on 02/22/2014 15:54:03 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Yup. Got the feeding on camera on 02/23/2014 14:00:41 MST Print View

261 pictures and a bunch of videos of the puma coming back to eat.
Here is one

.Puma

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Yup. Got the feeding on camera on 02/23/2014 14:15:03 MST Print View

Way to go, Kat! Good job!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

So many but this one is "special" on 02/27/2014 22:49:16 MST Print View

Literally hundreds of pictures and video, but this one is pretty special for a night time one.

Yikes

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 16:04:29 MST Print View

Maybe you are great at selecting sites, but I never would have guessed that "random" placements would ever get so much point blank activity. Guess maybe there is a whole world seething right under our noses that just slips out of view every time we walk by.

I'm formulating a theory that trailcams actually attract animal activity. :-)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 17:21:32 MST Print View

Mark,
I had posted a picture of the killed deer I found on Saturday. Then I placed my cameras on it and went back every day to move them as every night the mountain lion moved it a few feet. So it is not activity that just happens in front of the camera.
Other good pictures I have gotten were because I spent a lot of time studying the trails and how animals climb up from the creek to the ridge.
All that and luck. But no. Trail cameras do not attract activity, on the contrary.

There has been no random placement of cameras, that's for sure. If you knew how much time I have invested into this you would not be saying that. I find your post a bit of a put down.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/28/2014 17:38:04 MST.

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Re: Re: Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 17:52:46 MST Print View

Kat,
Thanks for sharing your passion and expertise in using these cameras, but I wonder if I'm the only one worried for you. Especially in the context of visiting a kill repeatedly. The lions may be familiar with your smells on the cameras and walking scent on trails by now, hopefully not losing their natural fear of you. Do you visit that kill alone to move the camera? Safety in numbers, blah bla

I know you wear that hat with eyes, but in my book this latest round of images is of higher risk to you than the others. Again, my opinion shared with utmost respect and surely something you've given tons more thought to than the rest of us, but something to think about all the while

Edited by kbuggie on 02/28/2014 17:53:36 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 17:59:10 MST Print View

Kevin, that is a fair point there and thanks for caring.
This did feel a bit more sketchy than usual and I have been more careful. I was walking with my dog when we found the kill around noon on Saturday. Middle of the day seems like the safest time of day. I took my dog with me on subsequent visits and instead of walking I rode my little Honda up to the kill. I had a knife and a screeching mace in hand.
My partner has not been very happy with me about this....but I think I am being smart about it. Still made me nervous but I think the bit of fear is healthy in this case.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/28/2014 18:04:42 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 18:48:09 MST Print View

Kat,

As I told you in response to your pm, NOT intended by any stretch of the imagination as a put down. Not sure how you got that. Perhaps just my lame way of expressing my amazement at how many good picture you got.

I have not been reading everything in this the thread that avidly, just responding to the nice pictures, so I may have missed the part where you explained all the stuff you do, and how much work you put into it, but even without such an explanation I assumed you knew what you were doing and this was a major project for you.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 19:02:20 MST Print View

Mark, maybe you did not intend it as a put down, but referring to "random placement" of cameras getting this kind of pictures really dismissed the amount of work and thought I put into it. People that know me also know that I am determined to a fault and put a tremendous amount of work into things that interest me. I have been lucky, that is true, but nothing I have done here with my cameras has been random.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/28/2014 19:22:01 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

"random" on 02/28/2014 19:47:31 MST Print View

Yeah, I have to admit that that wasn't too clear. It wasn't meant at ALL as disparagement. And BTW the silly post about the Eagle just came from me trying to imagine what the proud eagle would think if he knew he got secretly photographed during an awkward moment - wildlife paparazzi style - with his "pants down".

What I could/should have said "random" critter walking by doing something interesting. Yeah, I see how in this case the eagle was a bonus from the carcass. I wanted to ask a while back was if you saw the carcass first and planted the camera, but that was before you posted the most amazing pic so far the ML is dragging the carcass into view.

Anyway, so it at least looks like you caught the ML right after the kill! Very hard to plan that! Anyway, you should submit it some places because you are bound to win some awards for it - much better the the award-wining camera trap one someone posted IMO. That one was cool, but looks a bit like a diorama.

Edited by millonas on 02/28/2014 19:57:30 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

"Random" on 02/28/2014 20:04:33 MST Print View

Thanks Mark.
The picture of the lion with the deer by the throat is a series of over 100 pictures , before he dragged it off camera. I had put the camera there after he had moved the deer the previous night. So each of the four nights started with on camera footage and a bunch of lost footage after he moved it. For every good pictures there are many mediocre ones and lots more missed ones.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

This is what I mean on 02/28/2014 20:24:25 MST Print View

Here is a section of the photos that caught that one I posted earlier.
Many more preceding this is the lion walking up, eating while sitting, then lying down , then these

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

Lion

And then a few more with it just barely visible and then off camera. Every night it started nice and central and them moved off while eating and playing with it. I could have moved the camera further away but not gotten as nice a shots.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 20:45:13 MST Print View

Wow, you're getting some great stuff! But do be careful; we've only just recently become friends and I'd hate to lose you. Don't go out like Tim Treadwell....

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: This is what I mean on 02/28/2014 20:56:49 MST Print View

It might be just me, but I think the strips themselves might be interesting as well. I know you might not want to keep every frame, but a set of shots lined up like this to tell a story over time might be interesting. I could see the sequence on an art gallery wall, for instance. Obviously you can't reproduce the full color camera trap, but a flash would just scare it away. But you have this unique ability to document its behavior.

For example, I once read a book about mountain lions in Arizona, and from that I always understood they hid the carcass under a bush, or semi buried to come back to for several days. This seems a bit different. Maybe it is it cold and wet instead of hot and dry its worth it to leave it more out in the open. And then there is the "playing" part.

Edit: was just looking for it and I think it was this one: "Soul Among Lions", Harley Shaw.

On top of the fact that this seem like the only way to get information about what the ML does when no one is around, I'm guessing people who study MLs in the area would be interested.

By any chance do you know if this in one of your "regular visitors" from before?

Edited by millonas on 02/28/2014 21:29:15 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: So many but this one is "special" on 02/28/2014 21:30:01 MST Print View

Daniel....I know about Timothy and I told myself at the beginning of this adventure that I would not follow his footsteps, but he was a fool, really. :)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: This is what I mean on 02/28/2014 21:38:14 MST Print View

I will look that up Mark.
I am learning a lot about them really. The first night when he killed the deer he mainly just ate the heart and the liver and put the stomach to the side . The second night he ate some other soft tissues and the meaty legs and hind quarters. The third night he continues with the meatier parts and everything else that was getting ripe. That night he came back four times. The last night was all about the brain, really. I had read that the heart went first because of the iron. Then think it ate what might spoil first.
I have stitched some of the series together as in a movie and it tells a lot.

This is what he looked like the third night when he ate the most

Full

I think this is not the young one I have a lot of pictures of, but I am not sure.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Cat nap on 03/18/2014 15:15:04 MDT Print View

This one took over an hour nap by the camera. The best camera spot I have found.....right where they climb up from the creek to the ridge . Lots of scat and tracks indicated a good traffic area

.Nap

Nap

Nap

Nap

Nap

Nap

Nap

Nap

Edited by Kat_P on 03/18/2014 15:18:48 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Cat nap on 03/18/2014 15:17:25 MDT Print View

"This one took over an hour nap by the camera."

Maybe the catnip is working. You already know those botanicals.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Cat nap on 03/18/2014 15:20:35 MDT Print View

:) Bob.
I added some pictures since you just posted..

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Cat nip for cat nap on 03/18/2014 15:24:57 MDT Print View

Excellent. The next to last one shows the cat doing the yoga position called the downward dog. Somehow that is just wrong.

--B.G.--

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Cat nap on 03/18/2014 15:38:21 MDT Print View

CatStretch2

This stretch makes me appreciate the huge paws and massive legs.

Kat, you really found a good spot. I'm guessing there are a Lot of jealous researchers out there.

Keep it up.

Thanks.

Edited by greg23 on 03/18/2014 15:41:08 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Three different cats! on 03/30/2014 15:39:59 MDT Print View

Yup.
Two days ago I got a few (bad) pictures of a collared/tracked male that roams the area. First time I got him on camera.
Last night a new to me lion came by at 8:30 pm. At first I thought it was the same young one I get all the time, but looking closer this one is more muscular but mainly, it has a cut on it's left ear ( look to your right). The younger ( female??) as of last week did not have any cuts on her left ear, only a small one on the right ear.
My guess is the resident female is ready and the males are coming around.
I have cameras up top, but I will them alone for at least a week and then head up and see. The one from last night and the other male were both heading to the ridge, but two different ways.
Exciting!

Cats

And this one

Collared cat

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Recent pics on 04/25/2014 09:02:24 MDT Print View

Here are a few recent ones. I have plenty of nighttime shots from behind. Need two cameras at each location ;)

This is the same trail, same angle, different day. The largest and most ragged of the bobcats compared to the stocky male.

Puma and bobcat

A beautiful Kestrel

Kestrel

The resident female heading up the hill

Daytime

A foggy mugshot

Foggy

Another bobcat
Bob

Three different bobcats. The first one has long untattered ears . The middle one is the chubbiest, with smaller, rounder ears. The third has long, battlefield ears

3 bobcats

A fawn with mom..

Fawn

Fawn

Fawn

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Thanks on 04/25/2014 09:08:08 MDT Print View

Fantastic stuff. Thanks for sharing all these with us, Kat.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Recent pics on 04/25/2014 09:48:46 MDT Print View

If you hadn't have taken those pictures, would you have thought there were no Cougars or Bobcats there? They seem to normally be good at hiding from us.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Recent pics on 04/25/2014 09:55:29 MDT Print View

Jerry, I see bobcats pretty regularly but I would have thought it was just the same one. I saw the mountainlion twice at night and once on the trail....so I knew it was there but I did not know there were three. I have learned a lot from this experience and that probably been the best part. I definitively had no idea about the Golden Eagles right here.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
bobcats on 04/25/2014 11:56:21 MDT Print View

Great bobcat pictures too!

Nice!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Recent pics on 04/25/2014 15:40:28 MDT Print View

"Three different bobcats. The first one has long untattered ears . The middle one is the chubbiest, with smaller, rounder ears. The third has long, battlefield ears"

I'll bet the guy with the scars has more kids than all the rest put together.

Rough neighborhood for Bambis.

All in all a marvelous series of pictures. Thanks again for sharing, Katharina.

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
GS on 04/25/2014 18:59:07 MDT Print View

That is Good Stuff!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

From this morning on 04/26/2014 17:47:44 MDT Print View

A couple more..

And thank you everyone!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: From this morning on 04/26/2014 18:17:32 MDT Print View

It's been fun watching the grass grow.

Watching them through the seasons would be wonderful.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Few more on 05/03/2014 13:13:19 MDT Print View

No big cats since last Saturday, but a few other critters.

This is from this morning

Bobby

Bobby

One of the few resident foxes

Foxy

Foxy

This camera has the wrong date on it. Happened when I changed batteries...

Deer

If only this was a mountain lion :)

Deer

My goofy Kylie taking a trail cam selfie yesterday . My car broke down the night before; my back up pick up broke down on the way to work at 5:30 am so I stayed home and went for a ride with my older daughter. Laughed so much it hurt.

Kylie

This one is older.....me ( pun there ??) after doing some trail clearance with my 12" chainsaw :)
Weirdest

Edited by Kat_P on 05/03/2014 13:14:28 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Few more on 05/03/2014 14:36:06 MDT Print View

Good work.

Any catnip in use?

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Few more on 05/03/2014 14:53:22 MDT Print View

Hi Bob,
No, I have not used any catnip. I even have some, I just never think of it when I head out.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Few more on 05/03/2014 15:01:23 MDT Print View

It's just an idea.

Use catnip at half of your trail cameras and none at the other half. See if it makes any difference.

--B.G.--

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Few more on 05/03/2014 17:58:39 MDT Print View

"One of the few resident foxes"

Tough neighborhood for a fox to make a living.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

cat videos on 05/04/2014 11:42:29 MDT Print View

do your video cameras have audio capabilities?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2014/05/04/309038580/listen-to-these-lovely-cats-no-actually-don-t

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: cat videos on 05/04/2014 12:03:43 MDT Print View

I think those two cats are trying to determine who is alpha (or beta). The one facing the camera has ears forward, is sitting, and is confident. The other has ears back and is ready to run. The one with it's back to the camera does a "look away", an acquiescing behavior, and it eventually moves away. And nobody got chewed up.

As for why they choose that particular "vocabulary" .... they're cats. They don't sound a whole lot different than city cats on a fence.

Edited by greg23 on 05/04/2014 14:56:15 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: cat videos on 05/04/2014 13:33:44 MDT Print View

Greg, where is all of this cat language with ears explained? Inquiring minds want to know. The only thing I've seen is when a cat is mad, it lays its ears back flat like it is expecting a fight.

--B.G.--

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: cat videos on 05/04/2014 14:19:52 MDT Print View

I get it from dog behavior, but it crosses to cats pretty well. It is amazingly complex and fast.

http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Body-Language-Photographic-Interpreting/dp/1929242352/ref=sr_1_3/187-8200315-2336743?ie=UTF8&qid=1399234203&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+language

My wife volunteers for the local shelter facilitating canine "play and manners", so I've watched a lot of professionally narrated video.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: cat videos on 05/04/2014 16:53:39 MDT Print View

Interesting video Sharon. Kinda reminds me of the 'discussions' in chaff, for some reason......

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
which kind of tree is this ?? on 05/04/2014 23:28:27 MDT Print View

so: i found this awesome tree on my last trip. is this fantastic life form a giant Ponderosa, or a giant Sequoia ? or am i confused ?

i know.. it's a cs thread drift. but .. humor me ....

Thank You for your help.

cheers,
v.? tree

Edited by fluff@inreach.com on 05/04/2014 23:29:40 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: which kind of tree is this ?? on 05/04/2014 23:41:31 MDT Print View

peter, where was that picture taken and at about what elevation?
Do you have any more pictures? Can you describe the needles? That's a really blurry picture.

My guess is a ponderosa or jeffery pine. Ponderosa and jeffery are very similar trees with 3 needles per bundle. The only way to tell them apart is by grabbing a cone - "prickly ponderosa, gentle jeffery". The ponderosa has outward facing prickles and is uncomfortable to hold. With the jeffery you can hold onto a cone comfortably.

Giant redwoods don't have the typical long pine needle like leaves. They have leaves with overlapping scales, similar to an incense cedar.

I've been taking a tree/shrub taxonomy class this year and it's become a fun hobby while backpacking. I'll take samples along the way and identify them in camp.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: which kind of tree is this ?? on 05/04/2014 23:46:25 MDT Print View

Peter, hard to tell from that distance for sure, but it looks like a Ponderossa the morning after a serious bender. Fun fact about Ponderosas, on the older ones if you peel some of the bark off and sniff it it smells a little like vanilla. However if the wrong people see you doing this they will think you are very weird. True story!

Giant Sequoia (gigantea) are very isolated in certain spots in the Sierra, and are in fact gradually going extinct, or so it is speculated.

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/sequoias_of_yosemite/distribution.html

If you weren't in one of these very few localized spots you can be sure it wasn't one. It doesn't look at all like sempervirens, branches or bark - I have got them in my yard. It looks like it is a pine.

A good way to ID a plant or tree is to take close up pictures for later. On trees leaves/needles, cone/nuts and bark. Also great for flowers if you take a close of of both the petals and the leaves. So much lighter that a giant plant press like John Muir carried around in the early days.

But on the big cat front, a few days ago my neighbors a few houses up from me went around and put flyers in all mailboxes that they found two mountain lions in their driveway when the came home at night, and to keep an eye on the local pets. My first thought was "well duh, of course they are around all the time here", and then my second through was "whaa!...why couldn't they have camped in MY driveway". I still have not seen any in the flesh in spite of hearing stories about people seeing them a few hundred feet away from my house every 6 months or so!

Edited by millonas on 05/05/2014 00:09:34 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A new mountainlion from Saturday night on 05/05/2014 07:34:09 MDT Print View

This one is a male, collared and tracked. That makes for sure at least three that pass within 200 yards from my house. This one was higher up on the ridge. Left a scrape right in front of the camera.

.Make

Male

Male

And these are the three mugshots.

Mugshots

@Sharon, my Bushnell have audio capability but it has been very faint and only activated by the motion sensor.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A new male, foxes and the female is now injured :( on 05/16/2014 19:35:39 MDT Print View

The sad part first. The young female now has a big chunk of flesh missing from the top of her tail. Not only is this risky because of infection, it makes her hunting much more difficult. The long tail helps them balance during the high speed chases and this injury could make that much more difficult. I hope she recovers!
This is her the other day passing by one camera

Female

Female

And the other camera showing her injury. This location is a "community scraping area" and the males are leaving scrapes while the female just sniffed around a bit.

Injury

This is a picture of a tracked male I posted last time, but posting again because it is the same location. After this guy scraped here and just to the side of this camera as well, I added another camera pointed 90 degrees from this one to catch both spots.

Collared male

Here is the new male coming along to mark both spots.

Male

Male

This I am posting because....the muscles !!

Muscle

These next shots were way underexposed so I brightened them with IPhoto but could not get them to look the same. I have a video of this as well. Oh, dates on these are wrong, need to reset the camera ...

Scrape spot

This might just be one of my favorites

Favorite

The reason I put the camera in this location to begin with was a number of tracks I found, what it looked like on Google Earth ( a saddle that connects two basins that are divided by a mountain) and this scrape

Scrape

This last one looks like a pretty big boy. Here is a composite picture of my daughter and I with silly hats ( she wanted goofy trail cam selfies...) in the same location as the cat.

Big boy

And now my first daytime gray fox :)

Foxie

Foxie

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

You Did Indeed on 05/16/2014 19:53:58 MDT Print View

Nice.

Thanks.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: You Did Indeed on 05/16/2014 19:59:06 MDT Print View

"Nice.

Thanks"

+1

Tough luck for that female.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: You Did Indeed on 05/16/2014 19:59:28 MDT Print View

Thanks Greg.
Funny to read the title of my thread now...I was sooo excited to get those first night time shots from behind. A lot has happened since. Beyond anything I was thinking back then.

TKB 1979
(ARIZONA1979) - M

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST
Re: A new male, foxes and the female is now injured :( on 05/16/2014 20:02:00 MDT Print View

Wow!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: You Did Indeed on 05/16/2014 20:02:28 MDT Print View

Please carry on!

I'm no less excited now than I was then.

They are wonderful.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: You Did Indeed on 05/16/2014 20:02:28 MDT Print View

Now Kat will need to start leading guided wildlife photography tours of her back yard, for a fee, of course.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: You Did Indeed on 05/16/2014 20:09:41 MDT Print View

Thanks ,
:) Bob. You are the only one that has been here. These last shots are another 300 yards from the last camera we walked to, the one past the poison oak..

Edited by Kat_P on 05/16/2014 23:06:07 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: You Did Indeed on 05/16/2014 20:23:40 MDT Print View

If you guide paying clients around there, you can afford to purchase an entire bale of catnip to spread around with more cameras. That might keep the mountain lions coming around more frequently. Of course, then what would the poor gray fox do?

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

More pictures on 07/18/2014 18:56:42 MDT Print View

It's been very busy around here.

This is a mature tracked male that comes by every month or two.

Collared male

This is a pretty elusive younger cat. Date is wrong.

Younger cat

This one is another mature male that was around for a couple of weeks

Sunset

Sunset

Sunset

Sunset

Two cats one location :)

:)

Same male at night

Same male

Male

Eyes

Eyes

Male

Another wrong date, same cat

Day

A younger male, tracked. First time I get him. He went all over the mountain in one night and left. Smelled at the community scrapes but did not advertise his own presence, as not to get in trouble with other males, my guess.

Young tracked male

Young male

Young

I believe this is the female that was injured in a fight. First I thought it was a different cat but yesterday I got a daytime shot and I think it is her.

Young female?

Here is yesterday's shot, at 12:50 pm??

Female?

This is why I think it is the same young female, just a little less innocent looking . Same small cut on the top of her right ear, on our left. Now and 8 months ago.

Same cat

Now...a few others.

Bobcat from yesterday

Bibcat

Lots and lots of foxes.

Gray fox

Family sharing a meal

Bunny

Bunny

Deer too, lots of them, as you can imagine. Here a couple pictures I like

Deer

iDeer

Buck

Here is a cat, but the wrong kind :) I hope to get one with this skyline. Someday I will.

( wrong year).

:)

Edited by Kat_P on 07/18/2014 20:37:45 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: More on 07/18/2014 19:03:11 MDT Print View

"mature tracked make" ???

Maybe you should get another bale of catnip.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: More on 07/18/2014 19:07:49 MDT Print View

Fixed it.

Have not used any catnip.....get enough traffic as is :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: More on 07/18/2014 19:11:49 MDT Print View

I guess you mean an adult collared male. Something must have been lost in translation.

Yes, you certainly have the right location.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: More pictures on 07/18/2014 20:08:54 MDT Print View

Cool stuff Kat. You should open a cat hotel!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: More pictures on 07/18/2014 20:47:11 MDT Print View

"You should open a cat hotel!"

That sounds better than a cat house.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A couple more... on 07/20/2014 13:07:21 MDT Print View

Sunset girls

My new avatar :)

Ha

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: A couple more... on 07/20/2014 13:46:39 MDT Print View

Now you are going to have to write your own how-to book on this. Get one of the manufacturers of your trail cameras to underwrite the publishing costs.

--B.G.--

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: A couple more... on 07/20/2014 14:23:07 MDT Print View

Cool picture of the foxes huddled around the deer carcass. Was that a mountain lion kill they're scavenging off of?

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: A couple more... on 07/20/2014 14:34:58 MDT Print View

In I guess two of the pictures of the foxes, is that a fox pup in its mouth or something it's eating? Any pictures of little foxes?

Edited by millonas on 07/20/2014 14:39:30 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: A couple more... on 07/20/2014 14:42:31 MDT Print View

I'd be a little worried now that the lions are winking at you.....

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re on 07/20/2014 14:43:20 MDT Print View

@Bob. That would be nice...
@Ian . That was a fawn that seemed to have just starved. Maybe was abandoned. Not sure.
@ Marko That is a bunny. The following pictures show the long ears, but I thought the same at first. The three foxes eating the fawn are mom, dad and a pup.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: A couple more... on 07/20/2014 14:47:30 MDT Print View

Doug....:)

On a more serious note..there have been three incidents in our neighborhood that are a little worrisome. One neighbour had their bull mastiff killed and partially eaten two weeks ago. Another one had a mauled cow, probably from trying to defend a calf; both mom and cow are ok. Then last night a 1500lb bull was attacked, clawed all over but he will be fine. Something that attacks a 1500lb bull seems pretty bold even for a mountainlion.
I am surprised because we have hundreds of deer running about and no shortage of food.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A couple more... on 07/20/2014 14:57:27 MDT Print View

"Then last night a 1500lb bull was attacked"

Dayum!

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re on 07/20/2014 15:01:03 MDT Print View

Ah, ok. At first I thought wood rat, but then I saw the longish legs.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A few more from the last few days :) on 08/02/2014 13:08:40 MDT Print View

Hill

Hill

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: A few more from the last few days :) on 08/02/2014 14:31:59 MDT Print View

You're getting pretty good at this without using catnip.

--B.G.--

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
mountain lion photos on 08/02/2014 16:07:02 MDT Print View

Katharina
Thanks for posting. These are very cool. I was surprised by the time stamp, 7:30pm, still day light and about the same time most backpacker would be eating dinner, burping and farting the day's miles, smelling of camp fire smoke. I had guessed that they would sneak out at 2AM. I learned new stuff. thanks.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A couple more, again. on 08/17/2014 17:49:57 MDT Print View

Mostly I have some great missed shots; several dozen from behind, or too close.
Here are some that could have been. Then at the bottom a couple that worked out.

View

Almost

Almost

Almost

Selfie

Almost

This is a male ;)

Male

A gray fox

Fox

Nicer one

My favorite of the latest ones

Best one

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

re: mtn lion pics on 08/17/2014 22:08:12 MDT Print View

I haven't said lately how much I'm enjoying these. Thanks for posting. So, on the previous set, was anyone else scrolling up and down really fast to make the cat walk back and forth?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: re: mtn lion pics on 08/17/2014 22:47:48 MDT Print View

"was anyone else scrolling up and down really fast to make the cat walk back and forth?"

That is called walking the catwalk.

--B.G.--

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: A couple more, again. on 08/18/2014 00:50:24 MDT Print View

Katharina
Great photos. I'm still very amazed at the time stamp. I thought they were strictly stealthy nocturnal. Those cats have some big gloves.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: A couple more, again. on 08/18/2014 00:54:37 MDT Print View

"I thought they were strictly stealthy nocturnal."

That is the word put out by the publicist for the local mountain lions union, and the deer believe it.

--B.G.--

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: mountain lion photos on 08/18/2014 07:42:25 MDT Print View

Keep 'em coming, Kat. Very cool.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: A couple more, again. on 08/18/2014 07:47:34 MDT Print View

I like the first picture. Under side of jaw.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
re:"Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!" on 08/18/2014 13:00:53 MDT Print View

Kat, thanks so much for sharing the great pictures! My grand daughter is one of your biggest fans. We also enjoy scrolling through the Jay Wilkerson "UL Creatures" thread along with the slide shows made from my own trips.
Keep them coming!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re on 08/22/2014 11:35:06 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for the support.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Posting more, what the heck on 08/22/2014 23:47:13 MDT Print View

Why not...
Here are some I retrieved today.

Bob

Bob

Bob

Bob

Pic

Puma

Puma

Edited by Kat_P on 08/22/2014 23:48:59 MDT.