Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » U.L and hammocks?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Don (Biloxi) Carter
(donjuan70) - F

Locale: Red Neck Riviera
hammock insulation on 07/03/2007 17:48:42 MDT Print View

Richard are you saying that you wouldn't need to use the SS to attain a zero rateing just the JRB setup? please explain it a litle more indepth for me, I really want to get the most warmth possible..but not to the point of redundancy..thanks

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: U.L and hammocks? on 07/03/2007 19:06:48 MDT Print View

I would be hammocking, probably 100% of the time except for one reason. The Mrs. will not sleep by herself. Something about being "table-height" for bears.

My reasons for wanting to hammock has nothing to do with the weight savings; there aren't any weight savings.

I live part-time and hike in the mountains of New Hampshire where finding a dry, flat spot is a challenge. Finding trees is definitely not a challenge. Also, my back is as old as I am! The ground gets harder and my sleeping pads get thicker every year. (Forget sleeping in designated tent sites).

But alas, we all make compromises in life and mine is to carry the Mrs' "security" tent so that she will be my life-long hiking partner.

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: hammock insulation on 07/04/2007 08:56:55 MDT Print View

>I was wondering what kind of temps could comfortabley be attained in a hammock setup of a HH,with SS and JRB old rag as a bottom quilt and useing a no snivler top AND a nest as extra top with a JRB weather shield???

An HH with a JRB Nest as bottom quilt and a Ray-Way Deluxe with Xtra Layer 3D as top quilt (SS would be redundant, and I didn't use my JRB Weather Shield), plus clothing, worked for me at -15F, although it was a bit on the cool side. A JRB Old Rag Mtn would be warmer than the Nest, the No Sniveler and a Nest would be warmer than the Ray-Way quilt, and the JRB Weather Shield would add something. I'd be comfortable taking that combo to -25F (and I probably will, once JRB have their larger quilts available this fall).

I posted my series of cold-weather hammock tests in this BPL thread. I also detailed the clothing I wore in the hammock, with weights and lofts.

I bought a Gossamer Gear ThinLight Wide 1/4" sleeping pad and a JRB Weather Shield bottom cover for my brother as a much cheaper alternative to the HH SuperShelter underpad/undercover. The GG pad is much more durable than the HH underpad, and it can be used for ground sleeping as well. We both used this setup, and it was plenty warm down to the low +40F range (the weather didn't get down into the 30's on my recent trips).

Edited by Otter on 07/04/2007 08:59:38 MDT.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
Re: Re: hammock insulation on 07/05/2007 02:25:07 MDT Print View

I have the GG thinlight 3/8" pad, so I have a sense for what the 1/4" version might be like. My concern with any close-celled foam pad, even one as thin as 1/4", would be that it wouldn't consistently form-fit to the hammock, thus creating gaps and cold spots. The open-celled foam is very flexible and stretchy and doesn't have much problem there.

To be clear, I interpret you post as saying that your brother puts the GG thinlight 1/4" pad between his hammock and the JRB Weather Shield. If he's putting the pad inside the hammock, then disregard my comment ...

Brian Lewis

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: hammock insulation on 07/05/2007 09:03:22 MDT Print View

Don,

I own an overstuffed Arc Alpinist rather than the Old Rag Mountain. The JRB Weather Shield, No Sniveller, Nest and Old Rag Mountain would take me down to zero wearing these clothes:
Expedition weight long underwear tops and bottoms,
Liner socks, vapor barrier and down booties,
Possum Down gloves,
JRB hood,
Patagucci micropuff pullover.

I have hiked with a guy that only carries a 20 degree bag in Colorado in the winter. Snow is very good insulation and he builds a snow shelter every night. His shovel is his shelter weight.

I prefer to take insulation down to zero before I go the snow shelter route.

My winter hammock is a top entry. The bottom insulation is the JRB Weather Shield, No Sniveller, RidgeRest ccf pad and Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad. The pads give me the option to go the snow trench route if a cold front comes through.

Don (Biloxi) Carter
(donjuan70) - F

Locale: Red Neck Riviera
hammock insulation on 07/05/2007 17:35:36 MDT Print View

Richard..or anyone, what about the exped down mats? I seen those and the big 1 is 26in wide and 76in long and gives 3.5 inch loft and a 8.0 R value..now granted that sucker weights 44.4..but the no snivler combined with the nest is 40..so now I am more confused..lol anyone with info on this please enlighten me.I am leaning toward just purchaseing the 4 season set from JRB with a weather shield and getting the big exped, that way I would be ready for just about any condition the presented it self and as weather improves slowly send pieces home since it will be a dead winter start..feed back please..thanks

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: Re: Re: hammock insulation on 07/10/2007 22:26:15 MDT Print View

>My concern with any close-celled foam pad, even one as thin as 1/4", would be that it wouldn't consistently form-fit to the hammock, thus creating gaps and cold spots.

The 1/4" does form-fit a bit better than a 3/8" pad, but it is still a bit gappy underneath. Thus, while thicker than the GG ThinLight 1/8", I'm not sure it's actually any warmer in practice. It is better for ground sleeping, which is why I chose it. I think I'll probably be using the GG ThinLight 1/8" and JRB Weather Shield bottom cover more than the HH underpad/undercover in the future, because my few experiments so far show them to be about equivalent in warmth and the GG/JRB combo is both lighter and dual-use (although not comfortably).

I do have an OR Exped DownMat 7 Short, which works very well with my GG ThinLight 1/8" for ground sleeping. I haven't used it under my hammock yet.