Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: Overnight Pack/Winter Day Pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan V
(Supro) - F

Locale: Adirondacks
WTB: Overnight Pack/Winter Day Pack on 11/12/2013 11:37:47 MST Print View

I'm looking for a pack that I can use for winter day trips and general overnight trips - thinking around 30-40 L capacity.

Specifics:

- Ideally, something sub 1 lb
- Sternum strap
- Removeable or simple webbing waist strap
- Dyneema fabric (or something of comparable weight/strength)
- Simple design
- Cheap as possible

Models that I'm interested in:

MLD Burn - size Large
Six Moon Designs Feather - size Medium
Golite Peak
Other?

Let me know what you have.

Thanks!

Edited by Supro on 11/13/2013 06:29:52 MST.

Dan V
(Supro) - F

Still looking on 11/13/2013 06:31:33 MST Print View

Still looking for the right pack.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
Not sure where on 11/13/2013 09:19:30 MST Print View

you hike or what your needs are, but I use an older model Osprey Stratos 40 and have hiked a number of winter ADK peaks with that - the old ones were amazing, not too heavy, and had those wing flaps which tie up your snowshoes really securely. If you can find one of those, it'd be a bomber pack for winter.

osprey

As you can see - my hiking mates seem to agree - that's nine Osprey's out of ten hikers that day

Edited by WinterWarlock on 11/13/2013 09:23:17 MST.

Dan V
(Supro) - F

Osprey on 11/14/2013 08:38:06 MST Print View

Hey Scott, those packs look nice, but I've gotten bit by the simple and light bug and have come to prefer the basic ruc design with a simple webbing belt (or no belt). I do day hikes 95% of the time (just an occasional over-nighter) and don't carry a ton of weight.

Edited by Supro on 11/14/2013 19:16:17 MST.

Will Elliott
(elliott.will) - F

Locale: Juneau, AK
1 on 11/14/2013 09:46:22 MST Print View

You might call/email Cold Cold World world and ask for the Ozone pack to be made with a lighter material. It has an venerable alpine climbing pedigree and with the addition of two gear straps wrapped around the pack (no mods necessary), will carry snowshoes, snowboards, foam pad, etc. Crampons go under the lid and your axe fits between the back panel and your shoulder blades, as in the old days. Ice tools go inside with picks protruding on either side of the lid. It can be customized with daisy chains or whatever for lashing things on but I think it's perfect as is. Way simpler than the packs mentioned here, and amazingly, cheaper, too, despite being handmade in the US, but behind that simplicity is the utmost in refinement for day trips and overnights in the mountains or winter.

Edited by elliott.will on 11/14/2013 09:48:21 MST.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

CCWs on 11/14/2013 09:54:14 MST Print View

Funny, my dream winter pack is the Cold Cold World Chernobyl - it's not the lightest pack, but I hike with a couple of friends who have it, and it's amazing. Carries a lot, and carries well, and is tough as they come!

Dan V
(Supro) - F

Ozone on 11/14/2013 19:10:35 MST Print View

That Ozone might be the ticket. A little heavier than I'd like, but reasonable considering the material. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anyone have one for sale?

Edited by Supro on 11/14/2013 19:42:59 MST.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Re: Ozone on 11/15/2013 02:35:00 MST Print View

In all my years of hiking in the north country and being a gear head, I have only ever seen one CCW pack for sale....from the folks I know who have them they'll never give them up.

Dan V
(Supro) - F

CCW on 11/15/2013 06:42:58 MST Print View

Hehe, well I guess that means that they are worthy packs!

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Not sure where on 11/15/2013 07:40:06 MST Print View

Osprey Stratos 40 sure does look like a bomber winter pack. back straps and bottle pockets. Too bad you really can't get them any more.

My current selection is the Osprey Kode 30. Only thing it lacks is the bottle pockets.

Other selections include the REI Fall Line and Side Country.
EDIT: They're currently on sale at REI.

Edited by joegeib on 11/15/2013 07:49:53 MST.