Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"unboxing" gear reviews are dumb
Display Avatars Sort By:
Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
"unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/12/2013 09:34:23 MST Print View

Who else thinks the videos and reviews from when somebody first gets a piece of gear is kinda silly? I mean, you're videoing yourself taking it out of a box and giving us your first impressions but you haven't actually used it.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/12/2013 09:53:21 MST Print View

I have no desire of getting into the unboxing gear review business but there are times when they are helpful to me.

I really hate having to eat the cost of postage to mail something back that wasn't a good fit for me (eg a shelter I'm too tall for despite manufacturer claims). I take an unboxing video/review FWIW and find some value when the reviewer a) has the credentials to critique the build quality, b) doesn't have a reputation for being a cheerleader for every piece of gear they've ever reviewed with the perceived hopes of obtaining sponsorships, and c) provides a truly objective opinion of the product.

Edit and d) fully discloses the scope and limitations of the review.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/12/2013 10:14:51 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/12/2013 10:17:49 MST Print View

Methinks there is a place for both an initial impression and a thorough review after actual use. Perhaps the "dumbness" occurs when the reviewer takes an inordinate amount of video time performing the actual unboxing? I am less interested in the packaging material - and more interested in the gear piece itself. An initial intro -- with info on actual specs like dimensions and weights, etc. -- along with some comments on "look and feel" -- can be quite helpful.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/12/2013 10:51:16 MST Print View

I agree, dumb, but

How does the dumbness of unboxing videos compare to the dumbness of cat videos?

I can think of some cat videos that made me laugh, which was healthful

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/12/2013 11:00:44 MST Print View

Agreed. I have found that most online gear reviews and gear reviewers are not all that helpful in general. Most aren't very thorough and have never found a piece of gear they don't like. The forums here are the best resource I have found.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 11/12/2013 11:03:33 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/12/2013 17:55:43 MST Print View

There is nothing dumb about cat videos.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Unboxing reviews on 11/12/2013 20:39:16 MST Print View

I just wish when they do a backpack they would load it up and put it on. I like to see how it fits and the sizeing.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/13/2013 09:10:56 MST Print View

If nothing else these "open the box reviews" at least (usually) tell me if the stated weight is accurate.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/13/2013 10:55:41 MST Print View

The most value I've gleaned from unboxing videos is more views of a product that I can't find locally. I can decide if I want to look into it further.

Some of the reviewers are clearly clueless twits, with zero product knowledge and terrible speaking skills. Some are so bad it is hard to believe the reviewer has so little self awareness, like an American Idol contestant who can't sing on key. They can be hilarious.

Some are good and entertaining as well. The "Shug" hammock videos are gems.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/13/2013 11:04:20 MST Print View

buying stuff produces a "high" like taking drugs

unboxing it is the culmination - oh boy!, what I neat new thing

then it quickly fades and you have to move onto the next thing

vs carefully selecting new gear and using it until it wears out

"unboxing videos" show the person getting this high

I try not to get into this, but I do get enjoyment from buying new stuff and "unboxing" it, but I know it's an empty, fleeting high

"my name is Jerry and I'm a gearaholic"

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/13/2013 14:05:43 MST Print View

This is the kind of review I like :
Preliminary review
Sat 16/02/13
10:23 AM

To my great surprise this morning I received a parcel containing my new tent.
Delivery time is quoted as "up to 8 weeks" but it only took 54 days ,so I am very happy with that.
The delivery guy was very courteous and his uniform appeared to be recently dry cleaned
I like that professional touch to the delivery, it makes the whole experience so much more satisfying.
The parcel felt lighter than expected making me even more excited about the thrill of opening it up.
The box has the look and feel one usually find related to cardboard, so that is probably what it is.

Upon re entering my place ,emotionally gazing upon the parcel, I was surprised to see just how well placed the delivery label was and obviously stamped with a lot of care and precision.
The company chosen to deliver the parcel is called USPS ; never heard of them but given the high level of quality in both presentation and speed I can fully recommend them.
The detail in the printing was superb, made me feel comfortable and reassured me of having made the right choice.
Because I spent a considerable time looking at the various photos and drawings on the Web site , I am confident that this shelter not only will fit me well but should be more wind and snow resistant than I will in fact need.
At this point I felt the need for a tall half-skinny half-1 percent extra hot split quad shot (two shots decaf, two shots regular) latte with whip, so this concludes my preliminary review.

Long Time and final review
Sat 16/02/13
11:43 AM
I hate this crappy piece of junk.
Everything looked good till I opened the parcel and noticed an enormous amount of faults.
Do not buy from this vendor !!!!
For a start the colour appears to be a different shade of gray from the one on the web site.
I was fully expecting a Pantone Cool Gray 3 , this appears to be a Cool Gray 4, although having an inside colour temperature of 5250 Kelvin (accurately measured that with a Kenko KFM 3100) could give me a false impression.
The stitching lines are not parallel to each other and seem to go to different directions at random.
This may look different once erected but as it is, it is unprofessional and quite frankly below par.
Worst of all there are several bits of yellow rope, again not really matching the ones visible on the web site, that are fraying at the end.
This I find it to be disturbing and a total rip off if you ask me.
I will be sending this piece of junk back ,first thing Monday morning.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/13/2013 15:18:09 MST Print View

unboxing review from "The Onion"?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Franco on 11/14/2013 09:43:48 MST Print View

(Standing ovation)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
"unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/14/2013 15:44:10 MST Print View

It needs a lot of fine tuning but was written on the spur of the moment sometime ago after reading another one of those "I have just opened the box, had a look at it and now feel confident to recommend it..." type review.
Right now, for example, there is a post where if you carefully look at the item set up you should be able to spot an obvious problem.
Yet out of the several people commenting on that thread not one* has mentioned the obvious...
(but I can't tell you which thread)
OK, one but of course he was ignored .

Edited by Franco on 11/15/2013 13:58:32 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Stupid reviews as entertainment on 11/25/2013 20:39:30 MST Print View

I have often thought someone should start a web site or blog - possibly someone already has - with the stupidest reviews, re-posted. I'd read it! Amazon alone would be a virtually endless source of material. Youtube another.

They could have an annual awards show, like the Ignoble prize annual award. The stupid people will often even show up to get their awards, when invited. A fun time for all.

There would have to be separate categories as well. The category of people criticizing something because it is not another thing would have to be a whole thing in itself. Not sure if this should be merged with he category of people criticizing something they bought because they read what it was incorrectly.

Edited by millonas on 11/25/2013 23:01:55 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Stupid reviews as entertainment on 11/25/2013 21:33:57 MST Print View

>"the stupidest reviews, re-posted. I'd read it!

They could have an annual awards show, like the Ignoble prize annual award."

Sounds like you'd enjoy "Best of Craigslist" which is a link on each area's homepage. I do.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Stupid reviews as entertainment on 11/27/2013 10:13:36 MST Print View

Not sure if you folks have seen this, but these are the kinds of in-depth reviews I'm looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/product-reviews/0870334336

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Stupid reviews as entertainment on 11/27/2013 10:28:39 MST Print View

That's funny Jennifer! For those who have a Facebook account, you owe it to yourself to follow George Takei. He has been responsible for some absolutely hysterical Amazon reviews and other shenanigans.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: "unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/27/2013 14:15:18 MST Print View

Add me to the list that think unboxing reviews (be them textual or video) are in the dumb category.

I would say, when it comes to a video unboxing... "maybe ok" if its like, under three minutes. Give people enough time to see what the hell is looks like in somebodys hand, being worn if cloths, or whatever the case maybe. But if a person cannot do that in under three minutes, shut the hell up and don't post your video in the first place.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
unboxing" gear reviews are dumb on 11/28/2013 15:03:27 MST Print View

It's not nearly as good as Franco's review, but this was an actual review I found in BPL's Reader Reviews section 5-6 years ago when I was considering a certain shelter. I have considerably paraphrased the wording to protect the guilty, but you get the idea.

"I took the [name of shelter] on an overnight trip to xxx. It was easy to set up. The weather was beautiful with no wind. This an awesome tent!"

Not much help when I want to take the shelter where I'll be spending almost every night above timberline with daily Rocky Mountain thunderstorms!