Home Made Tent Stakes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Home Made Tent Stakes on 11/11/2013 15:50:32 MST Print View

These things can be used as tent stakes. They work well in my lawn. Haven't used them in the field.

ss

What are they? Not sure. I bought them off of a rack of accessories in a store that sold yarn, knitting supplies, etc.

I was attracted to them because of their elegance. They are hollow aluminum tubes coming to a sealed and slightly rounded point at each end. I have no idea how they make such things.

They were cheap but I can't tell you how cheap because I bought them years ago. Here's what I do know:

They are a little over 9.5" long and weigh about 11 grams each. They are .362" in diameter (a little less than 3/8").

I modified one end of one of them to get rid of the point. That one now weighs about 9.5 grams.

I added the cap from a pen to another one and that now weighs about 12.5 grams.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Home Made Tent Stakes on 11/11/2013 16:52:19 MST Print View

Knitting needles.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Home Made Tent Stakes on 11/11/2013 19:17:31 MST Print View

Thanks John. Knitting needles it is.

They seem to be readily available on the internet. Looks like the single point ones with heads would be the best choice.

Their chief advantage appears to be that some are cheap($1.50 each or less) and light. I've only tried them in my lawn, however. No real world testing to offer.......yet.

I think ones with diameters less than the ones in my op would be prone to bending but the ones I showed in the photo feel pretty stiff.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Home Made Tent Stakes on 11/11/2013 19:30:13 MST Print View

Try some aluminum gutter spikes.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Dale on 11/11/2013 20:48:40 MST Print View

Dale how much does the gutter spikes weigh?

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Home Made Tent Stakes on 11/11/2013 21:02:46 MST Print View

Dale,

I like the gutter spikes too. They would work better in hard ground than the knitting needles.

I think these knitting needles would have the advantage in soft ground (e.g. my yard) due to their larger diameter and length.

Dan, the gutter spike and unmodified knitting needle in the photo below both weigh about 11 grams.

xx

Edited by lyrad1 on 11/11/2013 21:04:22 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Also pretty cheap on 11/11/2013 21:11:20 MST Print View

I don't know how much those knitting needles cost, but the below are 75 cents per stake if you buy one pack, fairly light, probably more durable than the above, and already conveniently set up for the purpose of tent stakes.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-1000-4-Count-9-Inch-Ultralight/dp/B0030OLMWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384228930&sr=8-1&keywords=coghlans+aluminum+tent+stakes

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Also pretty cheap on 11/11/2013 21:33:20 MST Print View

Just,

Hard to beat those Coghlan stakes and you might be able to knit with them too.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Also pretty cheap on 11/12/2013 07:27:19 MST Print View

I think there are threads about the lower quality Coghlans bending easily even though they are Y stakes.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Also pretty cheap on 11/12/2013 07:52:54 MST Print View

Yeah, they do bend somewhat easily (just bent one this last weekend), but i doubt they would be any weaker than knitting needles. If they were made out of a higher grade aluminum they would be pretty sweet.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Wrong Forum on 11/12/2013 08:21:15 MST Print View

I think I posted in the wrong forum. The multi-use forum would have been better.

For those of you who already carry a half dozen fat/long aluminum knitting needles when backpacking this idea gives you stakes at no extra weight.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Wrong Forum on 11/12/2013 08:30:28 MST Print View

Now you've done it Daryl, all the UL fanatics are out destroying their partner's knitting needles. You are a chaos creator...

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Wrong Forum on 11/12/2013 08:58:51 MST Print View

(and if you listen closely and hard enough, you just may hear Daryl in the background laughing manically and with a sinister tone, "Bhwahahahahaha").

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Boye oh Boye on 11/14/2013 10:26:27 MST Print View

Turns out Boye is the company that makes these aluminum knitting needles.

Found them at Joann Fabric so I ordered a couple sizes to experiment.

Here's a link showing the #13 size, 10" long, single point. you'll have to scroll down the page to see them.

here