Enlightened Equipment Enigma WIDE now avaliable
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - MLife
enigma on 11/14/2013 11:35:56 MST Print View

Maybe this has been discussed, but how is the footbox set up? I understand you can't open it up at the bottom.... Is it sewn shut like a zpacks bag?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: enigma on 11/14/2013 12:06:25 MST Print View

I think yes is the answer but haven't seen a Zpacks. Basically its Sean closed without adding the big circle that you find in more traditional bags.

-Tim

Mark Rash
(markrvp) - M

Locale: North Texas
Baffle Design on 11/14/2013 13:07:03 MST Print View

Tim:

Did you see my (long) questions about the Enigma two posts back? If you would prefer to answer via e-mail that's fine.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Design Info on 11/14/2013 13:33:28 MST Print View

I built these baffles to fix the issue every baffle has with down shift. Most baffles can be kept from shifting by adding lots of extra down but I wanted a design that didn't need extra down that's only purpose was to keep the baffle full. I wanted narrow vertical baffles but wanted to fill less total chambers. That desire lead me to build them in the u shape so it cuts the number of chambers in half. The result was faster/cheaper to stuff than straight vertical baffles with the added reduction in shift because the straight lines were shortened. The corners stop down movement and it will only go around the corner if you move it there. Vertical baffles shift less because the down can only move head to foot which is under much less gravitational force to shift than horizontal baffles when you sleep on your side.

-Tim

Mark Rash
(markrvp) - M

Locale: North Texas
Re: Re: Design Info on 11/14/2013 14:36:05 MST Print View

That makes sense to me. For the wide version, did you add a couple of baffles (as opposed to widening the existing number of baffles)? I would definitely need the wide version.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Design Info on 11/14/2013 14:40:48 MST Print View

6" is my max baffle width. The REG is 5.5" and the WIDE has 5.8". The XWIDE will get another chamber.

-Tim