Hysol at retail stores?
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Locale: Montana
Hysol at retail stores? on 11/10/2013 11:54:04 MST Print View

Hello,

Where are people in the USA buying Hysol. I live in Asheville, NC and wonder if it is available locally. Also, never having used it, is there only one kind?

Thank you for you help

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: Hysol at retail stores? on 11/10/2013 13:38:57 MST Print View

See - http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-E-120HP-Adhesive-Strength-CARTRIDGE/dp/B000WSF5Y6

The Loctite brand is usually available at big box home stores, so I'd look on their websites to see if it's in your local store.

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Great thanks on 11/10/2013 14:48:13 MST Print View

Thank you for the info. I see that it rewires a special applicator. Is there any way around using that?

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Applicator on 11/10/2013 14:52:04 MST Print View

Hmmmmm, all the different tubes look like they take the same applicator -- maybe someone on BPL has a "hack" for this, though...not me!

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

applicator on 11/10/2013 14:56:07 MST Print View

That's what I am seeing too. Maybe, I will need to rethink my project but I will search some more first. Maybe eBay has a used applicator.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Hysol at retail stores? on 11/10/2013 15:30:12 MST Print View

The Hysol linked above is not the standard used for cuben fiber projects. It may work, but I don't know. The most commonly used is Hysol UL-09 (either LV or FL which just changes the viscosity of the product).

Hysol UL is a urethane adhesive, so when it dries it remains flexible. Epoxy adhesives almost always dry hard and are not suitable for fabric applications. So just beware.

You can get Hysol UL from McMaster-Carr or eBay and even amazon. Fastenal stores may carry it too.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Hysol at retail stores? on 11/10/2013 15:33:28 MST Print View

Looks like the gun is $22 at Mcmaster Carr:

Applicator Gun 74695A71 Each $22.10

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Hysol on 11/10/2013 19:47:18 MST Print View

Good find, Daryl. I could not find one less than $40, so just used my thumbs to push equal amounts out of each tube. Worked fine - actually more accurate, because if one tube is a little slow secreting, you can even it up.

Looking at the McMaster-Carr site, it appears that there are a variety of different types of adhesive under the name "Hysol." Only a few are urethane.

If you have access to a Fastenal store, they could order it without your having to have it shipped.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Hysol on 11/10/2013 20:11:29 MST Print View

If you have access to a Fastenal store,
I do.

they could order it without your having to have it shipped.
That's what I thought ... was still charged fro shipping to the local store.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Fastenal on 11/10/2013 20:15:05 MST Print View

Live and learn. There are sharks in the water!

James Reilly
(zippymorocco)

Thumbs on 11/11/2013 06:23:55 MST Print View

I'm glad to hear that I can do this with my thumbs. I just want to bond some tie outs so this is perfect.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor)

Locale: Northwest US
dispensing on 11/11/2013 09:28:04 MST Print View

I use a dowel with sharpie markings on it to push out the glue. That way, you get exactly the same volume of each component. As Dustin said, the stuff originally recommended by Cubic Tech, which most people use for bonding cuben, is Hysol U09FL or U09LV, not the E120 that Valerie indicated.

scott Nelson
(nlsscott) - MLife

Locale: So. Calif.
diy gun dispenser on 11/19/2013 10:41:33 MST Print View

diy hysol gun

Its funny, I just put this together yesterday. I used a caulk gun that I had (or could be bought cheap) and taped two 1/2 inch square pieces of wood as plungers. They are seperated by a broken off piece of wood from a paint stirring stick. It dispenses equally and in controled quantity. I stirred by hand and brushed on the glue to my cuben.

Edited by nlsscott on 11/19/2013 12:59:35 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: diy gun dispenser on 11/19/2013 11:31:25 MST Print View

Nice!