Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ideas for UL Activities When Hiking with Your kids

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Ideas for UL Activities When Hiking with Your kids on 11/12/2013 00:27:29 MST Print View

"Mostly, I have wide-ranging philosophical discussions with my kids. And do algebra, geometry and calculus problems."

I hate electronics, but somehow a Game Boy now sounds good :)

My boy brought a few Hot Wheels and the girl a doll. We talked a lot too, but apparently the conversations were mundane. Sometimes you have to let kids be kids. Of course in those days there were no MP3 players, so we got by without technology.

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
How about letting the kids figure out their own fun? on 11/12/2013 03:47:17 MST Print View

Finding cool rocks, catching frogs, climbing trees, building stuff with sticks, throwing stones, gathering firewood, playing hide and seek. Seems like for a lot of(most?)kids having free time to explore and create their own fun and adventures outside would be great fun.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: Ideas for UL Activities When Hiking with Your kids on 11/12/2013 10:54:16 MST Print View

First of all:

Hikin' Jim -- the tea party pics are the cutest thing. EVER. OMG. Can't stand it! :D

+1 to Sarah's "every kid is different" note. They really are (and in my experience, Aspies are fantastic hikers!!).

Many children raised in urban/suburban environments are surprisingly poor at "finding their own fun" -- probably because they have little exposure to that mindset. One of my friends (and only one) has raised her two daughters with NO television/Playstation, etc. and only limited computer time (what's necessary for schoolwork). We have gone backpacking with their family at least once a year since the girls were tiny, and despite being raised in the suburbs, they are wonderful at amusing themselves - independently - in the wilderness, because they have HAD TO rely on their own imagination for amusement all their young lives.

Interesting. I think this thread says some very profound things about our society right now (and there are good and bad aspects to where we're at!).

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Re: Ideas for UL Activities When Hiking with Your kids on 11/12/2013 13:21:04 MST Print View

My girls found a swing at Sky Meadows last weekend! (Fwiw, Sky Meadows State Park (VA)is a great place to introduce kids to backpacking. The primitive campsites are only a mile from the parking lot, well made, and wonderfully sited.) Swing

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re:Sweet Irony on 11/12/2013 13:40:14 MST Print View

PS: I have seen one sweet, sweet irony here:

It is OK to dress your kids in the newest and most high-tech gear but they must be unthethered from electronics! ;-) HAHHAH!

I drive a minivan with THREE tv's just so I can have some peace and quiet on the long drives with three kids. And I have zero mommy guilt over that. There are so MANY other things more worthy over freaking out about. Considering my kids have plenty of free time running around like wild wolves, I am OK with a electronics.

photo Bridge_zpsa44adb91.jpg

And yeah, the oldest had his headphones in his ears in this photo from summer. Whatever. Kid is 16 now and has a passionate affair going on with his smartphone I got him.

If ya'all want to sit around singing songs at night, go ahead. I'll be in my tent reading 10 novels on my Kindle app :-P Obviously my love of electronics and shiny objects doesn't keep me inside ;-)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re:Sweet Irony on 11/12/2013 14:31:27 MST Print View

Who is freaking out, and why???

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
How about letting the kids figure out their own fu on 11/12/2013 14:46:49 MST Print View

Buck....From an educators point you hit the nail on the head. They will expand their creativity, discover the environment, and become a more self directed learner.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Ideas for UL Activities When Hiking with Your kids on 11/12/2013 15:37:29 MST Print View

>"because they have HAD TO rely on their own imagination for amusement all their young lives."

My cousin got her kid lots of Legos for all the obvious reasons. Including the sets for making spaceships and stuff because they had cool parts. But she'd throw away the box and instructions before he got it and let him put the parts together his own way. I liked that approach.