Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Insulite material for cozy, where?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Insulite material for cozy, where? on 11/09/2013 14:54:46 MST Print View

I'm trying to find this material for some MYOG projects, I've emailed Big Sky International, but no response.

Any ideas where a guy might get some of this material?

Thanks, Jack

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/Big%20Sky%20%20Insulite%20Food%20Cozy/Test%20Report%20by%20jerry%20adams/

Edited by jumpbackjack on 11/09/2013 14:59:14 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Insulite material for cozy, where? on 11/09/2013 17:09:05 MST Print View

uh oh - you're looking at my backpackgeartest review : )

I think the term insulite refers to foam pads that were sold in the 1970s. I don't know if they're sold now. Also, I see Lawson has some foam pads that he calls insulite.

The material in Big Sky cozy that I reviewed is several reflective layers that compresses pretty flat. I don't know where to get that.

There is a material called Reflectix that is like bubble wrap with a reflective material. People use that for cozies. It doesn't compress as much as that Big Sky material. You can buy it at home improvement stores like Home Depot.

You could buy a "space blanket" emergency shelter. Fold it to make several layers. That would be pretty close to the Big Sky cozy material.

There's also a Blizzard Survival bag that has several layers of foil with some elastic to make an air space between layers.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Insulite on 11/09/2013 17:23:34 MST Print View

Thanks Jerry,
I have made a lot of cozies using the windshield reflective material and the stuff from Home Depot, and also from emergency blankets, but I really like the feel of the cozy material in your review, soft not crinkly, light weight and packs down pretty small.
Hopefully someone on here will be able to help me locate some.

Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 11/09/2013 17:26:17 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Insulite on 11/09/2013 17:40:49 MST Print View

soft?

I think owfinc has some reflective nylon tafeta http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html

I don't think it's as reflective as space blanket, so not as effective

You're making a cozy?

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Home Depot for a roll. Or a scrap for free. on 11/09/2013 18:14:49 MST Print View

As Jerry mentions, you can get Reflectix at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/reflectix?NCNI-5

For $0.32 to $0.44 / square foot in a roll.

I looked around but the biggest piece I have is 9" x 16" You're welcome to that if it is of use. PM me and I'll mail it to you.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Insulite material for cozy, where? on 11/09/2013 18:23:06 MST Print View

I'd ask Sarah Kirkconnell. She makes a cozy out of similar material.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Insulite material for cozy, where? on 11/09/2013 18:24:52 MST Print View

You can get Insul-Bright at most fabric stores. It is commonly used for insulated lunch bags. At best it needs a fabric cover, so the cost, complexity and weight go up.

Insultex is a house wrap product. Both these materials have been used for hammock bottom insulation.

A windshield reflector or Reflectix plus some good tape and a pair of scissors are all you need to make a good cozy.

I wonder how a recycled oven mitt would work?

I have used a Z-rest foam sit pad with some success. It is not as efficient as a nice snug cozy. You can use a. wool cap too.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Insulite material for cozy, where? on 11/09/2013 21:11:35 MST Print View

Yep, Insul-Bright is fantastic stuff.

http://www.warmcompany.com/ibpage.html

It also works in clothing and tent floor liners as well.....

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Insulite material for cozy on 11/10/2013 16:23:08 MST Print View

Thanks everybody and Sarah, looks like Insul Bright will have to do for now.

Jack

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Insul Bright on 11/10/2013 16:40:54 MST Print View

Don't feel like Insul Bright is a compromise. It is designed with that in mind. Thermolite is another possibility if you are going to sew a fabric shell shell. The arm from an old insulated jacket might be 75% of a complete insulated fabric cozy.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Insul Bright on 11/10/2013 20:22:11 MST Print View

It is a great fabric. I LOVE it! It breathes, is washable, flexible and light....what more does one need?

David Moreno
(nerrek2000) - F

Locale: North East Ohio
I'll second the notion for insul-bright! on 03/29/2014 22:23:37 MDT Print View

UL Cozy / StuffsackI just made a 1 quart freezer bag cozy from insul-bright with a covering (inside and out) of Impetus 1.0 from DIY Gear Supply.

I'm doing a thru-hike of the AT starting April 21st, and decided to combine a cozy with my cookset sack.

I made it 7 1/2 inches wide x 11 inches tall and with a cinch cord at the top. It weighs 0.917 ounces and does double duty as a cozy and sack, all for under an ounce.

The Impetus 1.0 material is very wind resistant and breathable with a DWR treatment.

I tested it out today where the wind was constantly blowing 6 - 8 MPH with a temperature of 31 degrees. I made beef Ramen with mashed potatoes using 12 ounces of boiled water, and put it in the cozy. 8 minutes later I brought it into the house and "ta-da!!" nice, hot meal ready to eat.

The only issue to be careful of is with the sewing of the Impetus 1.0 material. It's so light weight that the sewing machine tries to suck the first corner into the gap at the foot of the needle. I'd suggest starting the very edge of the first corner with the foot raised so you can hold the edge and help it start to feed through.

This combo is actually lighter than Reflectix of the same dimensions, and allows a cordlock to be used. Great foldability which works great as a stuffsack with small pots like the BPL Trappers mug where the pot is much smaller than the size of cozy needed for 1 quart freezer bag meals.

Edited by nerrek2000 on 04/07/2014 23:02:29 MDT.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Sewing on 03/30/2014 17:21:35 MDT Print View

> The only issue to be careful of is with the sewing of the Impetus 1.0 material. It's so light weight that the sewing machine tries to suck the first corner into the gap at the foot of the needle. I'd suggest starting the very edge of the first corner with the foot raised so you can hold the edge and help it start to feed through.

I have this problem off and on with various fabrics. I've been taping a piece of blue masking tape (the soft-hold easy-off type) and it helps, but then you have to pick blue tape out of the stitches.

I've been told when the fabric is pushed into the hole, to switch to a "piercing" or "sharp tip" type of needle, but have not tried that yet.

Anyone have a better method?

David Moreno
(nerrek2000) - F

Blue Painters Tape on the first corner. on 03/31/2014 22:54:20 MDT Print View

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

Leaving the foot up at first works, but makes the stitching in that corner a little loose and loopy (if that's a word). I figured it was ok though since I'd be sewing over that area again when I came back around to it. I like your idea though.

I'd even tried to get a hold of the very corner with tweezers, to no avail.

Edited by nerrek2000 on 03/31/2014 22:55:02 MDT.

William Giles
(wgiles51) - M

Locale: Central Illinois
Insul-Bright at Hobby Lobby on 04/06/2014 06:59:15 MDT Print View

Insul-Bright is available at Hobby Lobby by the yard at $2.99/yd. They also have a similar product by Pellon called Insul-Fleece in a package of about 27" X 45" for about $8.00. I bought some of each to play with. They both need some sort of cover fabric and they also recommend a layer of cotton batting for hot pads and things that get very hot. I will probably use a polyester cover fabric for a cozy as polyester will handle reasonably high temperatures.

David Moreno
(nerrek2000) - F

Insul-brite Potholder. on 04/07/2014 20:08:27 MDT Print View

0.15 oz Pot HolderIn an attempt to shave a little off of my cookset weight, I switched from a silicone rim band on my pot to an insul-brite miniature potholder with a thin cotton covering.

It shaved my weight by 0.1 oz which isn't much, but every little bit helps when I'll be doing 16 - 17 mile days on my A.T. Thru-hike.

I tried using it to pick up my pot full of boiling (rolling boil) water and hold the pot for 30 seconds. With only one layer of insul-brite, one layer of handkerchief material and no cotton batting it got a little warm on my fingers after about 20 seconds but not even close to being too hot.

This stuff is working out great!!!

I guess I should add that the potholder is a simple insulated wrap that goes from my index finger to thumb.

Edit: I finally got enough warm steady weather to get an accurate weight on this. It weighs 0.14 oz compared to the silicone pot band that weighed 0.33 oz.

Edited by nerrek2000 on 04/09/2014 04:42:15 MDT.

David Moreno
(nerrek2000) - F

Insul-brite at Jo Ann Fabrics with 40% off coupon. on 04/07/2014 20:24:25 MDT Print View

Jo-Ann Fabrics has a 40% off coupon available for download on their website through April 12th that can be used on-line or at the store. That's where I bought my insul-brite. $7.99 yd regular price / $4.79 with coupon.