Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: it looks promising on 11/11/2013 09:06:42 MST Print View

Jon
From Ken's post above

Have used it now for almost three years in all type of Michigan weather (rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow) and it has preformed beautifully. You will not be disappointed with a purchase and, as John has mentioned the 2nd generation material a step above the old.

Edited by annapurna on 11/11/2013 09:22:07 MST.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket on 11/11/2013 09:12:15 MST Print View

Its the new generation of material that got me interested. The first generation was apparently not very breathable(PU coating?). The new coating is eVent inside and out. The fabric manufacturer in claiming 40,000 breatability rating.

Rich Pais
(richpais) - M
Re: Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket on 11/11/2013 10:38:29 MST Print View

why not just get a sheddable shell? they are made of recycled tyvek and weigh almost nothing. Plus they only cost 10 bucks. I keep them in my day pack in ADK mountains - weather is too variable. 316 athleticwear has them on their accessories page

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Re: Re: it looks promising on 11/11/2013 10:49:52 MST Print View

Haha. I missed that post. I've read some of the more in depth reviews on some gear sites. They have owned them for a season or so, with moderate use.

Ken, in the three years you have used it, you haven't noticed any drop in performance in the areas that have been discolored?

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Sheddable Shell on 11/11/2013 10:59:35 MST Print View

Never heard of the Sheddable Shell. Is it more durable than driducks or basically the same thing? Very interesting. For 10 bucks, it's worth testing out. Would you trust one on a thru hike?

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket on 11/11/2013 11:34:50 MST Print View

Jon......To answer your Question: "Ken, in the three years you have used it, you haven't noticed any drop in performance in the areas that have been discolored?

>>>>NO, in fact I just came back from a 3.1ml walk. It was lightly raining when I left and half way through it started to snow.

.Weather Front

Liquid from the snow and rain just beaded with NO inner water penetration. Had the side zips open with the hood pulled over a baseball hat and warmth/ventilation was not an issue. As for discoloration the pictures in the thread will give you an accurate picture of that variable....NO change from when it was new. When I backpack I store the jacket in a plastic bag folded.

Remember..... this is a rain jacket made from 1st generation material.

Edited by KENLARSON on 11/11/2013 14:15:35 MST.

Lowell Mills
(FarmHand357) - F
How quiet/noisy on 11/11/2013 11:42:21 MST Print View

This jacket and pants sound great; just wondering if users can tell me how quiet the fabric is. I prefer a softer feel to the swish, swish of, say, nylon. Thanks in advance for any insight...

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Re: Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket on 11/11/2013 13:16:10 MST Print View

Thanks for the reply Ken. I'll add that to my data bank as I consider purchasing this jacket.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: How quiet/noisy on 11/11/2013 15:50:00 MST Print View

Lowell sez "I prefer a softer feel to the swish, swish of, say, nylon."

Doesn't the sound of the rain and wind mask the sounds of "swish, swish, swish"?

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
How quiet/noisy on 11/11/2013 16:13:17 MST Print View

Lowell....My qualitatively comment concerning the fabric is "soft" with NO SWISH, SWISH!

Lowell Mills
(FarmHand357) - F
No swish! on 11/11/2013 17:14:32 MST Print View

But Rick, beneath the ambient noise, I'll still know it's there...

Ken thanks. Now I am excited!

Edited by FarmHand357 on 11/11/2013 17:15:56 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: No swish! on 11/11/2013 18:15:23 MST Print View

Pun?

swish

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
disingenuous haters on 11/11/2013 18:59:56 MST Print View

Greg, your distinction escapes me. Must have left academia too soon. Saved me a lot of money, though. But maybe we'll get some ingenuous info from Richard when he has time for testing. Alas, it will not silence those who like to babble. At least my babble was short, though.

Tom Beno
(KillerB) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Prolite gear has a simple review of NW Alpine's shell with the same material on 11/11/2013 20:38:30 MST Print View

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/nw-alpine-eyebright-jacket-overview.html

As far as I know, only Zpacks and NW Alpine are using this new 2nd-gen cuben-eVent fabric in garments.

Prolite Gear recent stocked the (incredibly expensive) Eyebright jacket and posted a short review of it, including a "blowing bubbles" comparison of breathability. Not exactly a scientific test, but it appears noticeably less breathable than a traditional eVent shell. Nice weight, not badly priced by Zpacks, but not as breathable.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Re: Prolite gear has a simple review of NW Alpine's shell with the same material on 11/12/2013 08:08:03 MST Print View

I think $250 is a stretch for a jacket made of this material, but $600? That is absurd.