Forum Index » Chaff » I want to be a millennial when I retire...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Can you live with just 100 things? on 11/09/2013 11:57:33 MST Print View

Wow, sounds like you have a great thing going Jennifer. Good on you for being brave enough to make the changes that have allowed you to be where you are today.
A big plus, in my opinion, is that you even get to be with family. Congrats!

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Earth (mostly)
When to retire or semi-retire... on 11/09/2013 16:29:25 MST Print View

..I realized that especially if you don't have kids and don't have adventures...what the hell are we doing all this for??

Hit the nail right on the head for singles with no offspring, though some singles may be into collectibles or other hobbies requiring square footage. Even adding biking and maybe snowsports again there goes the gear closet, think I'll need a bigger square footage (paraphrasing Jaws).

I think most keep working out convention, never getting out of debt, but my thought is also a part knowing life circumstances can change, so keeping the resume updated, etc…. When to at least semi-retire is when kids are no longer an option (not relevant to the story but probably to those hitting mid-40's). That said, society assumes everyone has kids, spouse, house, car(s), and time-shares for vacation… (directly or through child support), so the economy has been set up that way (along with traditional societal expectations).

Edited by hknewman on 11/09/2013 17:23:47 MST.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Locale: Colorado
Max and Maxine on 11/09/2013 18:01:24 MST Print View

I down hill ski a lot during the winter. I see lots of Max and his counter part Maxine. Many are lower wage ski resort workers, some on unemployment and some just clipping Mom and Dad's coupons from their trust funds.

Most all are backstopped by their parents, seemingly the same situation of Max in the article.

There is so much wealth in this country, some of the millennial generation are already retired.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
What is it to be human? on 11/10/2013 06:23:40 MST Print View

What about community? Charles Eisenstein, author of Sacred Economics, explains how we now live in a society where we see each other as separate selves and we have made all human interactions some form of transaction. We have been told one story about what it means to be human, but that story isn't working anymore on all sorts of levels. Gift economies are the (past and) future. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEZkQv25uEs

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: What is it to be human? on 11/10/2013 23:13:05 MST Print View

James,
interesting video.

evolutionary traits that survived, are for people that care about their self preservation, self interest, and to a smaller extent, the interest of their immediate family and friends, not to care about strangers outside of our field of view.

Someone in a far away land, that I haven't met, is having hardship, and we are the genetic offspring of our ancestors who shrugged and said "not my problem"

Edited by RogerDodger on 11/10/2013 23:27:11 MST.