November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Suggestions for family backpack / camp in Texas?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Suggestions for family backpack / camp in Texas? on 11/06/2013 18:06:12 MST Print View

We've had to slow things down a bit since the birth of my daughter. She's now 3, and I'd like to plan to a camp / short backpack somewhere within several hours drive of Houston (where we reside). I'm thinking of hitting one of the state parks over Thanksgiving break, when I have some time off. I'd also like to give my new Tenkara USA rod a try here in Texas. I heard they have trout on the Guadalupe River?

Any suggestions from fellow Texans? Ink's Lake? Lost Maples? Somewhere farther away? We've done Big Bend and Guadalupe Mnts before but that's a bit far for a short trip, and my daughter's only 3.

John Whynot

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Suggestions for family backpack / camp in Texas? on 11/06/2013 18:41:19 MST Print View

From Houston, I'd suggest Pedernales Falls State Park or Enchanted Rock State Park. Both parks have primitive backpacking camping spots, and walk in sites...