(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Enigma Reports on 11/14/2013 07:02:04 MST Print View

I was thinking the same myself Paul.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Enigma received on 11/18/2013 06:56:33 MST Print View

I picked up my regular width, 6'5" 30F quilt at the PO Saturday. Nice and light, very nice quality, 16 oz., quilt alone on my scale. I'm 6', it came up to over my eyebrows. I think with the straps, I could have gone with the slim, with my 160lb. body. Won't get to use it until Spring. :(
Duane

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Any Enigma Quilt Reports??? on 11/18/2013 08:34:00 MST Print View

I received my 20F (reg, long) Enigma recently and used it this past weekend ...but the low was only in the mid- 30's. I was pretty hot and let the sides loose( but I sleep hot ... but I went to bed kind of chilled with wet feet). Though I did not test the 20 limit, I bought the quilt as a total solution to 3-season-ish "mountain sleeping", unless winter camping dictates a complete sleeping bag. Feeling the heat of the quilt, I'm sure it would have handled wrapped up against the coldest part of the morning.

Ed: size

Edited by hknewman on 11/18/2013 08:36:32 MST.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
My Precious . . . on 11/25/2013 18:07:42 MST Print View

I just unboxed my Enigma 30F Regular/Wide. First impressions are very positive. True to the weight on Tim's site, it comes in right at 15.0 ounces. The new material feels slightly more wind resistant than the 10d on my Rev, I obviously have to get it out to verify this, but the 10d on my Rev feels as soft as an actual silk liner I have. The Enigma is slightly more durable feeling, but still much softer than my RevX.

I'm 5' 10" and the Regular length comes up to my lower lip, providing I don't draw the cinch cord, if I do it sits just below my chin, around my neck. I'm 190 lbs and the Wide seems to give me plenty of room to toss and turn, which I do. Loft looks to be above the 2" on the site, which is fine by me.

I can't wait to get this out and may even try it this Winter if I can get out on a night that won't drop too far past the mid 20's. Looks like an awesome quilt. Now I need to figure out if I sell my old RevX or the Rev . . .

Enigma4
Enigma3
Enigma2
enigma1

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: My Precious . . . on 11/25/2013 19:10:36 MST Print View

I love the new charcoal! It should also be mentioned if I missed it before the new 10d shouldn't have down leaking issues found in the nobul1 fabrics.

-Tim

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Re: Re: My Precious . . . on 11/25/2013 19:55:36 MST Print View

Tim, this think looks awesome! I can't wait to get it "out there".

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: My Precious . . . on 11/25/2013 22:26:17 MST Print View

I will admit. I'm proud of these!

-Tim

Will Newton
(Newts) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
The waiting is the hardest part on 11/26/2013 11:43:54 MST Print View

Oh, man, it's like watching your siblings open their presents first! C'mon, USPS!

Art, you've got me thinking I shoulda inverted my Enigma colorway. Ah, well, on the next one. :)

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: My Precious . . . on 11/26/2013 12:01:12 MST Print View

Art-

Is that the black inside, charcoal grey outside, without any head and foot weather protection?

KJ

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Re: Re: My Precious . . . on 11/26/2013 12:57:16 MST Print View

"Is that the black inside, charcoal grey outside, without any head and foot weather protection?"

Yep. I did/do like the way the color strips looked, but was going for minimal weight. I figured between the treated down and the new material that I'd be ok even if a little condensation fell on the quilt or my feet brushed up against the wall. I ran out of time yesterday but will do a small water test tonight. I treated by 10d Rev with Nikwax DWR and it seems to bead up very well for short periods at least.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Water Beads on 11/26/2013 20:43:40 MST Print View

I did a water test on the Enigma tonight, nothing crazy, but put a small amount of water on a spot and let it sit for 5 mins, at that point it was still rolling around the fabric and beading, it didn't appear that anything had soaked in at all. While certainly not the kind of scientific test that some other BPLs can do, it's something. The new fabric seems much more water resistant, combine that with the DownTek and I'm pretty excited.

Pic #1 is the water spot at the beginning of the test.
h2o1

Pic #2 after 5 mins the water could still roll around, this is the same water from #1, just moved around, the Penny hasn't moved.h2o2

#3 is of the same area on the quilt with the water mopped up. Looks and feels like it was never there.h2o3

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Thanks on 11/27/2013 12:24:24 MST Print View

Art-

Thanks for that! I don't think I will need the added, more water resistant sections then for my shelter setup. Yay, to saving another 0.25oz! You will see my order on Monday Tim! :O) So excited to get away from my Marmot Hydrogen.

KJ

Edited by f8less on 11/27/2013 12:26:20 MST.

Brad Hawkins
(Biathlonman) - F
Thought on 01/05/2014 21:33:28 MST Print View

Just a thought but I'd like to see an option where you can minus the straps (stuff sack to for that matter, but I understand that could complicate shipping). Even if the savings wasn't much I've already got two sets of straps I don't use, would be nice if I could save 5 bucks and avoid them if (when?) I buy another.

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
Reg/XXL tall person Quilt perfection on 01/23/2014 19:02:05 MST Print View

So I had picked up a 30 degree reg/long enigma when Tim had his sale at the end of last year. When I received it I really wanted to love it but it was a little too short. I am 6 ft 5 about 175 and the quilt cam up to the tops of my shoulder allowing drafts to escape. I went back and forth on it and finally decided that it was not gong to work and I was relegated back to my 10D Rev 30 and 10.

I sent Tim an email regarding my challenge, to see if there was a way to add a collar to make it work and he replied to simply send it back and as soon as the Extra Long quilts was available he would send me a replacement. Well guess what showed up Monday!!

Out of the box in the big yellow bag, with all the straps and stuff sack it was 20 ounces, when I removed the quilt and weighed everything else it was just over 3 oz. on my hanging scale, so my regular width, extra long quilt comes in at just over a pound and is absolutely amazing. i can not wait to get out and play at the end of the month.

For reference, I am 6 ft 5 on a short day and this quilt covers my forehead!!!

As always Tim provides world class customer service and now I am dreaming of replacing my winter Rev with another Enigma.

Jeff

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
enigma 10 on 01/23/2014 19:24:13 MST Print View

I got to use my new Enigma 10 degree quilt 2 weeks ago in the Catskills. The temps only dipped to 20 degrees, so I did not get to really test the temp rating. I can say that it was so darn comfortable and I slept awesome with it over me. I have decided that the Enigma quilts are what I have been looking for. Perfect for useing with my bivy and/or tarp in the NE. I will be buying a 30 degree and a 50 degree Enigma to have with my 10 degree one..I think that should have me covered..no pun intended!!

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Yeah Tim!!! on 01/24/2014 06:28:22 MST Print View

I also got a chance to use my Enigma 20 in Big Bend last week...temps at altitude got to about 20 so it got a nice test, especially for someone like me who usually wants a bit more leeway than that.

First of all, this thing is SO light! It's cozy, the nylon is a dream next to the skin and I really like the new baffles. That 20 degree night started off really chilly just as I was going to bed and I was getting a little worried...I had midweight tights, a cap4 hoody and a montbell ex light puffy, and GooseFeet booties. I almost put my hiking pants on over the tights as well........

But I did fall asleep, and next thing I knew it was morning and I was sooooo toasty! I'm pretty sure it didn't really warm up that night because my platy hose was frozen solid...and all my water bladders were full of ice. The other three nights were completely fine, and I'm not sure it was much warmer than freezing those nights as well.

My only possible issue is the length. I am 5'7" and got the regular length, for people up to 5'11". But at times it did seem a bit short....not sure if it really was or if I am just used to the longer revelation (and all the other bags I've ever used). I wasn't cold, so it didn't seem to matter...but do be careful about the length if you want to order one. I think I may have just wanted to pull it up higher over my head when it's that cold out and didn't really have that ability.

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Re: Yeah Tim!!! on 01/24/2014 06:55:40 MST Print View

buy yourself a down hood...problem solved..