Forum Index » GEAR » Any Enigma Reports???

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Xwide on 11/07/2013 07:55:22 MST Print View

We'll see:)

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Between length worth stocking? on 11/07/2013 11:25:57 MST Print View

Tim, with only an oz. difference in the regular and long sizes for the Enigma's, are you going to offer a in-between size? Is it even worth carrying? Also, I sleep on my side mostly, semi-fetal position, I guess the 5'11", regular width otta work for me at my 6' height, 160 lbs.. Hmm? Still sitting on the fence between yours and brand "X". :) Shipping is extra I believe for your quilts. Thank you for filling us all in on news about your quilts.

Duane
Width of instock Enigmas?

Edited by hikerduane on 11/07/2013 11:29:40 MST.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Between length worth stocking? on 11/07/2013 11:33:08 MST Print View

Duane,

All Ready to ship Enigmas are Reg or Long

I won't do 3" height increments. That's too many templates to deal with

If you're over 5'11" get the long in the Enigma. The revelation series footbox can fit above my rating as its flexible but the enigma 5'11" fits only to 5'11".

-Tim

Roger Coffey
(tachus1) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Enigma in the mail!! on 11/08/2013 03:17:19 MST Print View

My Enigma 20 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (actually today as I'm up late with 2 sick kidos). I'll be glad to give a little looksy over for anyone interested. Might be able to do a mini review in the house. Won't have any backcountry time until the first weekend of December when it's hitting the trail in Colorado for some snow shoeing. I'm hoping to push it's limits.
My other quilts include a Nunatak Arc Expedition and a Golite 1+ season.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 06:47:59 MST Print View

I forgot to ask, does the listed weight include all the straps, stuff sack etc.? I'm focused on the listed weight in the chart. (Almost a 9 oz. savings over my WM Caribou bag), summer use. :(
Duane

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 06:53:40 MST Print View

Listed is quilt. Stuff sacks are sil/pu and add <.7oz and straps are .5oz and .7oz depending on which you use. My guess is anybody who wants one of these will grab a Zpacks cuben dry sack for it or be packing it loose in their frameless pack and will only carry the straps they plan to use, if they even use the straps, many don't. The straps can also but cut down to take weight off, they are long for most uses.

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 09:03:25 MST Print View

Thanks Tim, I'll see it in 8 days? :)
Duane

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 09:16:03 MST Print View

Probably not even! Peter is stuffing it today so it will ship tomorrow via priority.

-Tim

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
XWide and Zippers on 11/08/2013 11:23:06 MST Print View

I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", 230), and am a ground/side sleeper. My Wide/Long RevX has been great below freezing, but I've only taken it down to mid-20's. XWide would be pretty great for a dedicated winter quilt.

My dad and brother like to backpack with me a couple times of year, but they don't follow the cottage market. I've been trying to convince them to try a down quilt for a year, and they just don't believe it isn't cold. They also get stuck on the fact that I call it a quilt, and not a bag. So I definitely see a market for a fully length zipper. For my family, they'd be more easily convinced if it was "a sleeping bag that can be adapted for comfort in a wider range of temps by putting it quilt mode" than they are by the "quilt instead of bag" proposition.

Keep up the great work!

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 11:43:40 MST Print View

Tim, I work out of town so if it gets to my PO Box by Nov. 16 that would do me fine.
Duane

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 11:53:51 MST Print View

If Peter ever comes back from
Lunch I expect it stuffed today and shipped in the morning. He's been at lunch awhile though. Hmm

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 14:14:53 MST Print View

Snowmobiling? :)
Duane

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Any Enigma reports? on 11/08/2013 14:34:05 MST Print View

He's back. Stuffing now. He had saved the 2 enigmas for last so almost done

-Tim

scree ride
(scree)
closed toe box ? on 11/09/2013 07:37:46 MST Print View

Is there any way to open up your toe boxes? Gotta keep a toe out to check the weather.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: closed toe box ? on 11/09/2013 08:06:50 MST Print View

Not on the Enigma but on everything else

-Tim

Roger Coffey
(tachus1) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Thanks for the Enigma, Tim on 11/13/2013 19:27:26 MST Print View

It's here. Hanging on my wall. Taking up space beside another 20 degree down bag, that happens to be 20 years old. I guess that's the best way to understand this Enigma quilt. Side by side with a 20 year old Marmot bag, the Enigma is a revelation. What used to be top of the line, is now relegated to kids camping.
This thing is LIGHT! It's soft, with a hand not unlike the 7 denier fabric on one of my down jackets. The stitching is damn near flawless. Obvious quality.
The chambers are unique and I think with a little use, they will become my favorite. As a side sleeper, I've had issues previously with down sliding off my shoulder or hip within a chamber leaving a cold spot. Shouldn't happen here.
My first backcountry use will be high mountains in Colorado the first weekend in December. I'll put it on a Neoair Xtherm.
Nice work Tim. Thanks.

Robert Meurant
(rmeurant) - MLife
Opening the Enigma foot box - or is it a Pandora's box? on 11/13/2013 20:22:09 MST Print View

Tim, I too wonder about a zip on the foot section of an Enigma - my feet seem to be the major temperature control elements of my body when sleeping, and an Enigma that opened fully would be a great solution.

Is there some structural reason why you do not include foot box zips as an option?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Opening the Enigma foot box - or is it a Pandora's box? on 11/13/2013 22:01:39 MST Print View

With the Enigma it's all about weight. I want it to be the lightest it can and that means no zip in the foot. I hear you though and have some things planned

-Tim

Robert Meurant
(rmeurant) - MLife
Open box on 11/14/2013 00:57:30 MST Print View

I look forward to developments, and thanks for your response.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Enigma Reports on 11/14/2013 06:55:37 MST Print View

Sorry, every time I see the title of this thread, I feel like I should be reading about a historic thriller. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanalysis_of_the_Enigma

Carry on. Nothing to see here. ;)