(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Thanks Ron on 11/06/2013 11:57:59 MST Print View

That's a kind offer.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: no good deed goes unpunished on 11/06/2013 12:01:07 MST Print View

JR, I'm far from perfect, but my conscience certainly isn't ruled by standard practice. And personally I don't think that "not doing anything that isn't pretty much standard business practice now" is synonymous with doing the right (ethical) thing.
But enough of my opinions; there seems to be plenty of people who disagree. This is perhaps getting too close to chaff.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: no good deed goes unpunished on 11/06/2013 12:10:46 MST Print View

I agree that this is a pretty standard practice and no demonizing should happen. I also agree with what William wrote above, that just because something is standard practice it does not mean one cannot point out a fault with it.
So to me it's no biggie but I appreciate those that remind us that sometimes we just go along with things, eg. "standard practices" and we ought to take a double look. At least this practice, that may be questionable, is out in the open and that should mean something too.
The unfortunate part of it is that one vendor is taking the brunt of the fault here and that does not seem fair.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Kat_P on 11/06/2013 12:11:21 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: no good deed goes unpunished on 11/06/2013 12:44:08 MST Print View

no extra contest but Zpacks is advertising voting on their facebook page too... so whatever.

i figure it's all advertising. winning the award is advertising.. contest is advertising.

always amazed at how offended people get at things that have nothing to do with them and could be easily ignored by not clicking.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Re: Re: Re: no good deed goes unpunished on 11/06/2013 13:39:52 MST Print View

"always amazed at how offended people get at things that have nothing to do with them and could be easily ignored by not clicking."
Maybe I care because (perhaps uniquely on this thread) I'm a subscriber to TGO. It has its detractors in the UK, but I think it's a decent magazine. Maybe the whole idea of the awards is flawed, but that's another argument.
Has anybody looked at MLD's Facebook page recently? More people have commented that they have voted since this thread started than in the previous nearly 3 weeks that it's been up on MLD's Facebook page (including many names that I recognise from this forum). Maybe it's my age but it just doesn't seem quite right to me.
Edited to add: I want to point out again that I think MLD is a great company with great products.

Edited by WilliamC3 on 11/06/2013 13:43:12 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 17:07:47 MST Print View

Gear Deals should not be for this sort of gear givaway for a vote. There is no sale offer.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 17:24:43 MST Print View

"We will be giving away a pack later today and more gear in the days to come."

Seem like a risk-free way to score some gear. Sounds like a deal to me.
Odds of 1/∞, but it's there.

Edited by greg23 on 11/06/2013 17:27:43 MST.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/07/2013 09:06:47 MST Print View

I really like MLD gear - it works very well for me. I would not have voted simply because I didn't know about it. Did the call of a chance at free gear entice me to vote? Absolutely. Did it change how I voted? Nope.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/07/2013 11:00:08 MST Print View

To me, its more on the voter, than Ron. If the voter essentially falsifies a document by voting for MLD just to win gear, where they otherwise would vote for Zpacks (or Coghlans or whoever) then the illegitimacy it with them.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
not a fan of mld on 11/11/2013 18:29:13 MST Print View

Honestly just the vibes I get from ron bell are bad. I wanted to add a hipbelt to a newt/ questions about shelters and ron pretty much blew me off with <5 word responses that took days to receive.

I'm just saying you might be making enough money that you don't care but id be hard pressed to vote for you this way...