Forum Index » Gear Deals » Free MLD Gear

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 06:23:49 MST Print View

Due to unintended confusion about the spirit and/or content of the post, I am deleting it.

We are sorry about the confusion.

Edited by mountainlaureldesigns on 11/07/2013 08:01:12 MST.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
yay free stuff! on 11/06/2013 08:00:45 MST Print View

Cool! Just voted!

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
stupid question on 11/06/2013 08:53:05 MST Print View

Voted.

Really stupid question, but how do I "like" that post on your Facebook page? I see a bunch of "likes" have been given, but I don't see a "like" button anywhere.

I'm usually pretty good with computers and websites and such, but Facebook's interface has always confused me.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 08:53:44 MST Print View

I don't do Facebook.

I am not sure I quite understand this.

Are you asking/bribing us with a chance to win gear if we vote for your company in TGO Awards Contest? In other words, are you you trying to "fix" the voting for the TGO Awards?

You also state we must "Like" you on Facebook to get a chance to enter the drawing. I am not sure what "Like" is, but it sounds as if a company that has a lot of people who "Like" them can sell more products. Seems people should Like you, based on your product and customer service -- not because you in essence bought the "Like" votes.

Now if people buy votes in a public election here in the US, it is against the law.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I am correct, I will never buy another MLD product.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 09:11:31 MST Print View

Nick,
Social media voting is the norm. Not saying it's right, just what happens. Our little town just had a "Best of _______" campaign. Guess how the top of the heap got there.

Used to be the manufactures had to bribe a bunch of industry reps, reporters, and bloggers. Now they go directly to the consumer.

If you exclude all gear manufactures that go this route you'll probably just be left with REI.

Edited by greg23 on 11/06/2013 09:12:45 MST.

TAG in AZ
(tagiam) - MLife

Locale: PHX
I voted, but can't seem to like the post on 11/06/2013 09:14:10 MST Print View

Original post: Not sure what is going on. I tried to like; the post, but cannot figure out how.Anyway, I voted. Hope you guys win.

EDIT: Like button worked once I joined the group.

Edited by tagiam on 11/06/2013 11:57:10 MST.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 09:34:33 MST Print View

“If I am correct, I will never buy another MLD product.”

Well I will make sure I buy two pieces of MLD product to make up for it.

I don’t see anything wrong with an owner of a business to ask his cliental, who like his products, to support him by voting for him in the TGO Awards. The contest to win MLD products is just bonus for those who like his products.

But I don’t think it is really a question being wrong or correct. If you see this as an ethical dilemma and/or if you don’t like his products, don’t vote, don’t like, or don’t buy!

Edited by Sparticus on 11/06/2013 09:51:14 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 09:48:52 MST Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/19/2013 15:08:37 MST.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
liking on 11/06/2013 09:49:06 MST Print View

You have to join the group, wait a couple seconds/minute before your request is approved, then you can hit like.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
I voted for... on 11/06/2013 10:01:25 MST Print View

ZPacks

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 10:03:05 MST Print View

Nick, I don't know if it's against the rules, but it certainly seems against the spirit. Encouraging/exhorting people to vote is one thing, offering material rewards for voting is another IMHO.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
thanks on 11/06/2013 10:08:42 MST Print View

Thank you, that worked once Ron approved my request (thanks Ron).

Edited by JRinGeorgia on 11/06/2013 10:09:12 MST.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 10:11:19 MST Print View

“It is the entering to win free MLD gear by voting for MLD, that I suspect would be the issue. Clearly, it taints the voting process by encouraging you to vote for a specific manufacturer.”

I suspect it is the issue if you choose to see it that way. I don’t see it that way because the vague offer of a draw from some company would not encourage me to vote for a company whose product I did not support.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 10:17:10 MST Print View

@ Paul. And do you think everyone has your scruples or do you think some will vote simply in the hope of free gear?
This has been on MLD's Facebook page for some time. (I like MLD and their gear.) That didn't bother me too much as it would only been seen by people interested in MLD anyway. But posting it here with the thread title including "free gear" brings it to the attention of all sorts of people who are interested in getting something for free and not necessarily MLD fans.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 10:26:50 MST Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/19/2013 15:09:49 MST.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 10:39:26 MST Print View

I think that is a stupid thing to do and at this moment I feel a little bit like when G.W. announced that when he is elected we will all get our stimulus check. One big difference is that five minutes ago I liked MLD and if Ron had asked for my vote without the bribe he might have gotten it. Saying its the way things are dont make it right.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 10:58:40 MST Print View

@William - Hey, I don’t claim to be a Pillar of Virtue! I just think we are making a mountain out of a mole hill; however, I do see your point about posting it here and not keeping just on their Facebook page. That said, I was happy that Ron did post here because if he had not, I probably would have not known about the TGO awards. Having just moved back from the UK and having done a lot of hiking in Scotland, I was glad to be pointed to the awards because there were other categories where I recognized the nominees.

@Dave - Fair question. I noted Zpacks in the list and I have gear from both so I did have to think about the choice for a bit. As it stood, I voted for MLD mainly because while in Scotland I actually come across the Trail Star in the wild a couple of times and the owners were very happy with them. I would like to think that my vote was influenced by the fact that I associate that shelter with Scottish weather rather than I was influenced by free gear - but who knows.

I still think crying foul is a little much.

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
x on 11/06/2013 11:27:24 MST Print View

x

Edited by mountainlaureldesigns on 11/07/2013 08:02:23 MST.

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
no good deed goes unpunished on 11/06/2013 11:45:41 MST Print View

It's pretty much accepted fact that companies in such contests will use social media to solicit votes, and even offer contests/prizes. Very common, very much the way things are done these days, very expected. Ron isn't doing anything that isn't pretty much standard business practice now.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Free MLD Gear on 11/06/2013 11:55:36 MST Print View

@ Ron, "How great would it be if it was all dialed down a few notches?" I'm not sure what needs dialling down. Nobody seems to have got abusive on this thread; however, there has been a disagreement on whether a chance of free gear should be offered in return for a vote in a best gear competition. This is sort of debate is as it should be, in my opinion. And this would be a very boring forum if everyone always agreed.
I own a couple of pieces of MLD gear, and it's I think it's a great company making great stuff. I've also been a long-time member of the Facebook page. Moreover, there are some rather lame companies in the running for best equipment manufacturer, so although my vote went to ZPacks (for a number of reasons, their gear is generally more suitable for me), I would certainly rather see MLD winning rather than most others. However, it still strikes me as wrong to offer incentives to vote that might (almost certainly will) entice people to vote for you insincerely.