Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What ways are you reducing your "Gear" outside of backpacking?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Strategy on 11/05/2013 19:21:25 MST Print View

Perhaps the history of humanity is nothing but the history of schlepping loads from one place to another...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Strategy on 11/05/2013 19:26:27 MST Print View

Buy a house without a basement, attic, or garage.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Nirvana on 11/05/2013 19:27:56 MST Print View

YES! You got it Max.
Your parents grew up in a different time, they will deal with their basement, or you will later..
In any case you are to be commended for your insight.
When I was 20 I sold everything and all I had was in a backpack and I remained that way for five years. People called me names, homeless, gypsy, etc., but I didn't care, I was living my life as I saw fit. It was the most challenging, wonderful time of my youth. In time you will see that if you desire to have a family, that the ties, sacrifices to your freedom and ability to roam easily are worth giving up temporarily for the benefits of having a family...or not. You have a choice, and I have read that many young people are making the choice to NOT have children, not have debt and are doing just fine.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Dream Home on 11/05/2013 19:30:05 MST Print View

My perfect house is probably a Land Rover Discovery from about 2004 with plenty of fresh water storage and one of those wicked roof ladders.

lnd

Kids are inevitable. I'm the oldest of four boys and 11 cousins, I've been a babysitter for two decades. I love kids and I can't wait to raise a few.

I hear it takes two people to make them, though... so I should stop moving sometime before I'm 30.

Edited by mdilthey on 11/05/2013 19:32:42 MST.

Tam Nguyen
(FoldersUnite) - F
Here's the Tarp Guy. on 11/05/2013 19:32:07 MST Print View

He's just Mr. Backpacking in general, I think.

http://dzjow.com/author/dzjow/

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Dream Home on 11/05/2013 19:33:40 MST Print View

That Land Rover will cost you more in lift kits, tires, roof racks, snorkels, gadgets, and monthly repairs than the mortgage on a country cottage.

I like cyclist Max better.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Let's Go Deeper on 11/05/2013 19:35:35 MST Print View

>"I don't want to settle down, get an apartment, get a day job. No! I pay no rent and I don't own a car, and I'm free."

In my 20's I was working in a BP/ski shop, leading trips, and taking a lot of my own. We'd lead trips with young and middle-aged professionals who weren't comfortable planning a 9-day trip on their own, didn't have a hiking partner, or just liked the group energy. They'd hear about all my trips and lament, "When I was young, I didn't have the money for the trips, tools, and toys I wanted. Now I have a garage full of tools and toys but not the time to take the trips." They all encouraged me to keep doing what I was doing, at least for a few more years. I'm glad I did.

After my seven-year "itinerant-bum phase", I settled down, and have been doing engineering ever since (although I still take about 10 weeks of vacation each year). I ended up advancing more quickly and ending up in charge of the professionals who got a job right out of college. Typically, they didn't have the people or life skills to sell projects, smooze clients, or handle difficult technical problems that would arise.

Too many Americans are enslaved to their mortgage, their cell and cable bills and car payments. Keep being "Tarp Guy" as long as it works for you. I see people in Alaska who do it their whole life.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Kids on 11/05/2013 19:39:33 MST Print View

>"I hear it takes two people to make them, though... so I should stop moving sometime before I'm 30."

Or at least meet a girl who is under 30-35. The age 40 limit of fertility is true for some women but a disappointment for others.

Men, however, are fertile much longer, so there's no rush on that front. I didn't have kids until 38-43. Lots of guys are much older.

Or adopt.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Here's the Tarp Guy. on 11/05/2013 19:45:19 MST Print View

Thank you Tam!!! That's the one.

I've been wanting to find Dzjow's site for a while but forgot the name....Great blog that I lost in the shuffle somewhere.

A bit of an aside, but check these tarp pics folks:
http://dzjow.com/2011/06/08/tarping-with-the-grace-solo-spinntex-97/

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Life After Ultralight on 11/05/2013 19:47:37 MST Print View

I led student groups for two years. It's exactly like herding younger brothers. I'm a good enough leader that I wouldn't mind doing it for a living for a bit, but I feel pushed by being intelligent to do something worthy of being intelligent.

Right now, I write freelance, but I do it so quickly that a "work day" for me is like 3 hours long. The Max Dilthey that took 6 classes, two internships, a TA position, ran two clubs, and somehow fit a girlfriend in there is inside me, crying out to be busy and mentally challenged.

I'm going to the Southwest to be a bike tourist and memoir writer for the winter. After that, we'll see if it's time for graduate school...

This thread took a delightful turn into minimalist living. I don't know if I can properly impart how grateful I am to have fallen in with such a swell community.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Tarp guy on 11/05/2013 19:50:49 MST Print View

Oh wow, incredible pictures... now I really want to be Tarp Guy....

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Meanwhile in Phnom Penh... on 11/05/2013 19:52:22 MST Print View

I'll spare the BPL community of a multi page tirade about possessions but BLUF, it really comes down to if you own them or they own you. For me to purchase a several thousand dollar time trial bike would be unbelievably wasteful but not so for a passionate rider. I'm slowly becoming more purposeful with my purchases as I slide past middle-agedom but the reality is, it makes more sense for me to own a couple sleeping bags than to try and make one work from -20* to 100*. Also, some purchases don't work out as planned despite my best research efforts.

Anywho...... I've traveled all over the world and I found Cambodians to be some of the most wonderful and resourceful people I've ever met. They've done much to fuel my dream of burning all of my crap and moving into a school bus in the Cascades.

.Cambodia 1

.Cambodia 2

.Cambodia 3

.Cambodia 4

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Check this out on 11/05/2013 19:54:38 MST Print View

Max check out the "Overland Journal".

http://overlandjournal.com

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Overlanding!!! on 11/05/2013 20:15:53 MST Print View

Oh, that is wicked. How does their subscription work when their demographic has no home address?

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Overland on 11/05/2013 20:21:21 MST Print View

They are based out of Prescott, AZ. There is a yearly gathering at Flagstaff.
Contact address is:
Overland Journal
3035 N. Tarra Ave.
Prescott, AZ
Service@overlandjournal.com

Edited by Drusilla on 11/05/2013 20:24:00 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Strategy on 11/05/2013 20:21:47 MST Print View

"Buy a house without a basement, attic, or garage."

And resist the urge to buy stuff in the first place. It'll save you a lot of money, time and energy keeping track of it, and simplify your perspective on life.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Strategy on 11/05/2013 20:29:47 MST Print View

"Is the real nirvana in learning to get rid of excess, or learning not to pick up stuff in the first place?"

Both will lead you to a better place, but the latter will render the former irrelevant. Easier said than done in this hyper consumptive society, so I think in practice the former eventually leads to the latter as you gain life experience. Not many start out disinclined to pick up stuff, IME. There is just too much pressure to consume, peer, family example, and advertising, for most young folks to overcome.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Simple life on 11/05/2013 20:40:16 MST Print View

This thread has nothing to do with gear...

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: What ways are you reducing your "Gear" outside of backpacking? on 11/05/2013 21:12:20 MST Print View

Nick,

Welcome to the Dark Side! I saw a Niagara in the campground this weekend and it made me think of how yours was vandalized. Let the mods begin.

Ryan

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Simple life on 11/05/2013 21:15:39 MST Print View

"This thread has nothing to do with gear..."

Your response has nothing to do with gear. Pffffttt!