Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re on 11/05/2013 10:27:41 MST Print View

Is it possible they won't have to cut down any Sequoias for the new parking lot? Seems silly to save some only to cut down others. And to spend 4M to do it at that.

Ryan

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove on 11/05/2013 12:44:21 MST Print View

Go learn the real facts and quit promoting silly dreams here.

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove on 11/05/2013 12:51:48 MST Print View

I propose they remove all of the development in Yosemite, to include all roads.

Ed Biermann
(longstride) - F
Re: Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove on 11/05/2013 13:05:43 MST Print View

F bomb. not needed

Copy and pasted the article bits here.

"Most public parking, the gift shop and the tram operations would be eliminated to improve conditions for the grove’s 500 giant sequoias.

The paved surfaces and infrastructure are compacting soil, encroaching on sequoia roots and interfering with natural drainage patterns. “We know the pavement over the roots is not healthy,” said Yosemite ranger Kari Cobb.

Except for some handicapped parking near the lower grove, parking would be shifted to the park’s south entrance, about two miles away, where new lots would be built.

Shuttle buses would take visitors from the entrance to the lower grove, which has the largest and oldest sequoias and is the most heavily used.

The commercial tram operation would no longer run and access to the upper grove would be by foot only. Portions of road would be converted to trails and some trail segments would be removed to restore habitat.

All told, the project would remove nearly 4 acres of paved surfaces and infrastructure from the grove, which would remain open during the project."

The cited article nowhere mentions removing any trees. Reread.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove on 11/05/2013 13:20:20 MST Print View

"Reread."

Exactly.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove on 11/05/2013 13:52:24 MST Print View

Some moderator removed the entire first post of this thread due to language, and now it makes it appear as though Ryan's reply was the first post.

Most legitimate moderators will remove the offensive part and leave behind a note that it was edited and by whom. Not here.

Basically, Kevin Burton went on a rant about something that he didn't understand well at all.

--B.G.--

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
"would" on 11/05/2013 14:25:11 MST Print View

I notice most or all of the quoted changes were preceded by the word "would".

So I take it that this is just a proposal at this point and subject to public and special interest comments and political influence.

Many years ago there was a proposal that "would" have removed all or most improvements to the Valley and "would" have allowed no private vehicle access to the Valley; I believe a tram or buses were propose instead. After years of public and special interest comment virtually all of that proposal was abandoned.

So... don't be surprised if this one does not get implemented either. The fat people and couch potatoes want to be driven to each and every redwood tree, if possible.

Bill D

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: "would" on 11/05/2013 14:30:32 MST Print View

Bill, I think you are correct about it being a proposal. I don't think that they have started any work beyond the planning.

You referred to the Yosemite Master Plan of the time around 1980. I know a guy who was one of the original authors of that plan, and he was horrified when it never got realized, so he left his employment with NPS.

The fat people and couch potatoes do not need to be driven to each tree. They can view a virtual redwood show on the Internet. That's just as good, isn't it?

--B.G.--

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Background info on 11/05/2013 18:16:43 MST Print View

Sometimes best to dig beyond the news stories:

Yosemite NP Press Release about Restoration of the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/mgrovefeis.htm

which points to the home page for the EIS:
http://www.parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectId=38400

The Final EIS was released November 1 after revisions following 334 comments:
http://www.parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=347&projectID=38400&documentID=56090, 14 PDF files totaling 42.9 MB

With the release of the Final EIS, NPS will decide very soon without further public input, i.e. you missed your chance. Pretty likely they will choose Alternative 2, South Entrance Hub (preferred), and announce around December 1.

-- Rex

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Re: Re: Re: Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove on 11/12/2013 15:48:15 MST Print View

ha... I don't recall using profanity and I don't recall it being really a rant ... but maybe I had too much caffeine :-P

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yosemite plans to remove most development from Mariposa Grove on 11/12/2013 15:59:10 MST Print View

"I don't recall using profanity and I don't recall it being really a rant"

That is called being out of touch with reality.

That's why the moderators blipped it out immediately.

--B.G.--