Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cooking fresh tortillas and pupusas on the trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Cooking fresh tortillas and pupusas on the trail on 11/03/2013 12:47:09 MST Print View

Fresh hot tortillas are one of my favorite things, but I never thought my comal, the traditional metal plate for cooking them over a fire or burner, made sense to carry in my backpack. Until I realized I could flip over my titanium pot lid and use that.

Here it is, my ti comal over an IKEA woodstove. Originally the pot of homemade dehydrated beans was for dipping the tortillas into, but then we realized we should stuff the tortillas with the beans and some cheese and make pupusas.

The ingredients pack down small--dehydrated spicy black beans in a sandwich zip lock, masa harina (corn flour) with a little salt in another.
-Rehydrate the beans in the pot.
-Set them aside and cover the pot with foil
-Mix the masa harina with water and make the tortillas a little wetter than normal
-Heat up the pot lid on the wood stove
-Cook one side, flip to the other.

tortillas1

cheese

beans

pupusa

dinner

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Cooking fresh tortillas and pupusas on the trail on 11/03/2013 12:56:19 MST Print View

Muy bueno

We were talking about this on our last trip. Smells so good!

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Awesome! on 11/03/2013 13:49:40 MST Print View

How long do they take to cook, what did you use to flip them with, can they be thinner? Do you think this would work with a ti lid flipped over on a Caldera Cone?

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
fresh tortillas/pupusas on 11/03/2013 14:13:50 MST Print View

Looks great! I have a hiking buddy that uses a wood stove, think I'll hit him up to make these if I bring the ingred.

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Re: Awesome! on 11/03/2013 17:42:30 MST Print View

Hi Diane,

How long they take to cook is dependent on how hot your wood stove is burning (flames or coals) and how thick the tortillas or pupusas are. My pupusas took about twice as long as tortillas because they're huge and stuffed thick. How thick a plain tortilla is depends on your likes and your technique. I used to live in Guatemala, where the tortillas are thicker than in Mexico, because they're used like spoons rather than wraps, so that's the style I make. They are definitely more fragile when you make them thinner, but it just takes practice.

You'll see the edges getting dry when they're ready to flip. To flip them I used a spoon. It's good to have a pot grabber since there's nothing holding the lid in place. The photo below shows my buddy demonstrating the technique, checking for done-ness.

sean tortillas

Also, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work on a Caldera Cone in wood stove mode. But just like when you use a big pan on a small stove burner, the hottest part is what is directly over the flame.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Patrick M.
(patrat)
inspirational on 11/10/2013 20:12:43 MST Print View

Thanks for this post, I have been craving fresh bready goodness on the trail.