Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Foot odor -- just deal with it?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Luymes Ted
(start2day)

Locale: So Cal.
Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 00:19:05 MDT Print View

Okay. We all know how bad it can get just a day or two out. Is there any way of lessening this problem without adding something (and its weight and volume) to my pack?

Peter McDonough
(crazypete) - F

Locale: Above the Divided Line
Re: Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 00:33:29 MDT Print View

Two pairs of socks--one to wear, the other drying out on your pack. Wash your feet and socks at a convenient stream.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 07:09:27 MDT Print View

No, no way. But carry those disposable ethanol tissue wipes; they totally remove the odor in one application.. and work well elsewhere.
Worth the weight if you are not traveling alone.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 08:21:00 MDT Print View

Feet stink varies person to person.

For me, Pete's solution of daily washing feet / socks and switching between a part of socks worked well with any socks I tried.

I found that I needed less than that: washing my feet daily and switching between a pair of odor resistant socks (wool or coolmax + xstatic) was good enough provided the socks not being worn got some sun and fresh air (no washing required).

I know at least one person whose feet are so stinky that their only choice is to either have a pair of socks for each day (and have an Aloksak odor proof bag to store the toxic socks) or to live with the smell.

Some people have reported that using sandals helped, but that didn't make my feet significantly less stinky. I went back to highly breathable train runners.

Edited by verber on 06/27/2007 08:22:10 MDT.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
smelly socks on 06/27/2007 08:56:47 MDT Print View

I agree with Pete. I use two old electrical alligator clips tied to a small piece of line and hang wet socks on my pack while I'm hiking. A little Brommers/water in a small Ziploc - agitate and wring dry. This works well with clothing also. I'm sorry ultra-lighters. But I have a set of hiking clothes and camp clothes. I like to feel clean when I hit the hay.

Happy smells

Dave

Edited by dmgoody on 06/30/2007 05:22:53 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 08:59:29 MDT Print View

Wash your feet at least once daily. You should have something in your pack to clean up hopefully? If so, then you have something to wash your feet.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 09:07:24 MDT Print View

Something people don't think about...athlete's foot. You might not know you have it, and parking feet in sweaty shoes all day can cause a flare up. It also can cause a real stink fest.
So, it never hurts before trips to start up a regime of treatment-and yes, Minimus carries tiny packets of the stuff to take in a first aid kit.
But most of all, switching socks really does help.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 11:54:40 MDT Print View

Amputate.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Re: Re: Foot odor -- just deal with it? on 06/27/2007 12:13:02 MDT Print View

I like Jhon's idea :P

I use thin wool trail running socks, either defeet or smartwool,(for some reason, I havent had as much smell problems after switching to wool socks instead of synthetic) combined with super breathable trail running shoes. (my pick: salomon XA pro 3D)

also, whenever I take a break for longer than 5 mins, I take off my shoes and socks too let them breathe. the lacing on the salomons is nice because IT is fast to tie and untie.

the thing about mesh shoes is that it does allow some dirt and dust to get in (keeps gravel and mulch out) It is in some ways nice because it gives you a reminder that you need to clean your socks and feet (I try to do this at least daily) when you might otherwise forgett

the best thing for your feet, as far as avoiding fungus and smell, is to keep them clean and dry, and whenever possible, give them oxygen (leave the goretex for the snow only)

Edited by ryanf on 06/27/2007 12:14:37 MDT.