Forum Index » GEAR » Is there any room for a windproof fleece?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Durability. on 11/03/2013 00:18:40 MDT Print View

Windshirts don't need to be weak and fragile. I have a windshirt that could handle the worst scrub and scraping against abrasive rock. It weighs 9 oz and I bought it at goodwill.
It's just that the manufacturers choose to make their windshirts out of super thin fabric.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Durability. on 11/03/2013 00:32:27 MDT Print View

they dont ...

some running windshirts look quite durable, but they weight 8+ oz or so ...

and the old store bought windbreakers have durable fabrics ...

in fact the nylon shell pants can be more durable than some softshells as well ... but we arent taking about the UL MB ones here ... but the heavier prana zions or dead bird ramparts

the "problem" is that consumers demand the thinest, lightest windshirts/pants ... the reality is that they may not breath any better (MB im looking at you) and they give up durability in the process

;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 11/03/2013 00:44:41 MDT.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Re: Durability. on 11/03/2013 00:50:46 MDT Print View

Good point about head wear. I'm a strong believer in laminate fleece protection for my ears (I have a buff with windstopper that I use a fair amount). Full windstopper laminates on the dome (like my OR Alpine Hat) may be too much if moving fast but definitely are nice for city life. I'm still playing with hats to find what works for me in cold weather best (generally use just hoods).

SIDEBAR: I agree eric. I'll never replace my ramparts simply because I'll likely never need to. Sure I could save 5 oz and get the MB dynamos, but i'll make that 5oz up in duct tape repairs. My ramparts survive the worst desert scrub and rock (not sure about alpine granite though) and look brand new still. I'll likely horizontally outgrow them before they die on me!

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: lined windshirts on 11/03/2013 01:07:33 MST Print View

Lined windshirts like the Marmot Ether, Rab Vapour-Rise Lite Alpine, and MB Light Shell Parka are pretty awesome in colder temps and can eliminate the weight of a fleece.

Woubeir (from Europe)
(Woubeir) - F - MLife
Re: Re: Durability. on 11/03/2013 03:49:00 MST Print View

+ 1

jim logan
(jim_logan) - MLife
Reply to Max's Question of me on 11/03/2013 06:33:45 MST Print View

Max, sorry about the delay and I still haven't had time to read everything in between. Yes, I have tried other things including rain coats and a Brooks windstopper (whatever they call it) jacket. When the raincoat gets wet, it is not effective for my other purposes -- but it has done what it came to do. The Brooks jacket is nice and bright but not particularly light or effective at any one thing. Perhaps it is that when it is "that" windy I really like the extra warmth the windfleece provides. I live in an area where I must buy through the mails because Boston is probably where I would need to go to view multiple items of anything. This and limited financial resources restrict my checking a lot of alternatives, but I feel happy with the weight-warmth-windblock balance my fleece provides and I feel it could cost me a lot of money to find an effective multi-season alternative that would save a small amount of weight in the overall scheme. Remember where I started my last post: I get cold easily and I am a kinda medium weight packer.

I expect it will be tonight before I can check in again, but I'll look to read the other posts and see if my answers satisfy to the extent they can.

All the best from Maine. Jim

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Awesome, thanks. on 11/03/2013 06:41:56 MST Print View

Thanks Jim. That was informative. I see your point about cost vs. effectiveness.

Thanks for the reply!