Forum Index » Chaff » under the bridge.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
under the bridge. on 11/01/2013 21:13:46 MDT Print View

you are a joke moderator, roger caffin.

homophobic posts = fine.

criminal fraud for life member dollars = fine.

a bumped FS post = occasionally not fine.

calling out a persistent troll = immediate deletion.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: under the bridge. on 11/01/2013 21:30:31 MDT Print View

"There has been an increasing number of rather aggressive personal attacks between a small group of BPL regulars."

Links please.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
links. on 11/01/2013 21:42:44 MDT Print View

Links have been removed for your protection.

Questions are weakness.

Deletions are strength.

(Please purchase a Tunnel Tent (tm) for your unpredictable winter weather.)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: links. on 11/01/2013 22:08:42 MDT Print View

Part of me wants to ask what happened but I'll just let my imagination run with this one. Must have been a doozy.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Doozy on 11/01/2013 22:30:51 MDT Print View

It was pretty wild Ian.
David posted about a bear that shredded eric's arm( darn autocorrect keeps capitalizing, silly thing); bear thought it was a deadbird and wanted to eat it there but turns out it was a Patagucci. Dave T. asked why he wasn't carrying a suitable knife with all that bomber climbing gear. Then Ken jumps in about the hawt chick distracting eric . Someone else that now is banned said it was a gorgeous guy, not a girl, then Dave T. called him a homophobe. I came along pointing out that all these posts went straight to the NSA and Jerry said it's ok because you can't really blame this president. On and on.....and you missed it all.

I missed it too, haven't a clue.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Doozy on 11/01/2013 23:05:02 MDT Print View

Sooo... just another day in BPL land then.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Doozy on 11/01/2013 23:13:23 MDT Print View

The strange thing is that it was really about a guy with a big knife.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Doozy on 11/01/2013 23:15:08 MDT Print View

At least there were no Memes

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: under the bridge. on 11/02/2013 10:54:52 MDT Print View

"calling out a persistent troll = immediate deletion."

I must've missed something here. Are you telling me the bear attack thread got deleted because the Sultan of Snark caught a couple of well deserved elbows in the ribs? Tell me it ain't so, RC.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: links. on 11/02/2013 10:57:15 MDT Print View

"Must have been a doozy."

It was downright tame by traditional BPL standards. I am truly befuddled, given who happened to be on the receiving end this time. I guess if you whine loud enough and long enough.......

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: links. on 11/02/2013 11:31:10 MDT Print View

I wouldn't call Eric Chan a "troll", just has a very focused, one track mind. I don't always understand or agree with the persistency and repetition, but that doesn't necessarily make him a troll. I also take issue with labeling people in such a fixed/judgmental manner. Although, I would say making fun of someone's injury is borderline trollish behavior, but that doesn't make those folks trolls either, just apparently have (I will assume temporarily) severe lack of empathy for a fellow human being.

Once we start attaching negative fixed labels to another person, well that is the first step in it becoming "OK" to minimize, degrade, and de-humanize them because it becomes easier to think of them as that negative label and not a fellow human being with feelings or similarities to self. They become the "other" detached from oneself and the need to have consideration, tolerance, etc.

Is it so wearying to treat others different than self with respect, consideration, and kindness?

Edited by ArcturusBear on 11/02/2013 11:51:51 MDT.

Harald Hope
(hhope)

Locale: East Bay
eric c on 11/02/2013 12:56:24 MDT Print View

I was actually wondering what had happened to eric c, I'd noticed that in recent months he was saying some fairly odd things compared to his old self, so odd I was actually unable to follow any reason or logic in his comments at times, then I read recently that he'd been laid up with an injury and it all made sense, I know the feeling. I had suspected something had changed but I wasn't able to figure out what it was, but a serious injury explained it.

Personally I've always liked his old self here, hassling people for obsessing about gear rather than going out and doing stuff, I was wondering where that person had gone, apparently injuries frustrate him as much as anyone else. Maybe a gadfly is more accurate.

A troll is not at all someone like eric, it's someone who posts nonsense just to start arguments, to me there's more than a little truth of what eric c used consistently say about the attitude here, enough that it bugged people I think because it wasn't that inaccurate. He's corrected me a few times too when I said something that wasn't accurate, and trolls don't generally do that in my experience.

Personally though, I suggest just picking up a book by Muir or Edward Abbey or someone else who had something or other worth saying if you have enough time to waste on these forums, you'll get a lot more out of the time you spend reading, and there's a big bonus too, no annoying comments to plow through. Not that bpl isn't educational, it is, but there is definitely a mindset here among some members that is worth criticizing.

Or do some stove tests, sew a backpack, whatever. Being injured sucks though, after a while it stops being interesting.

There is a guy who posts in chaff on one subject that I consider to be a serious hardcore troll however, he spends his days making up fairy tales then posting them, I have wondered if he's mentally ill to be honest, but decided to just ignore him completely since nothing anyone says will ever shake him from his fantasies. Happily that particular troll keeps his trolling to only one topic, so it's easy to skip it, and I do.

Edited by hhope on 11/02/2013 13:01:08 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Doozy on 11/02/2013 20:01:15 MDT Print View

"I came along pointing out that all these posts went straight to the NSA and Jerry said it's ok because you can't really blame this president. On and on.....and you missed it all."

Woo hoooo, ROTFL!

Hilarious, Kat. At least something good came out of this. :)

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Doozy on 11/05/2013 17:29:22 MST Print View

"I came along pointing out that all these posts went straight to the NSA and Jerry said it's ok because you can't really blame this president. On and on.....and you missed it all."

Woo hoooo, ROTFL!

Hilarious, Kat. At least something good came out of this. :)"

Ha, ha, ha,... I should have gone on a longer trip : )

(actually, that was funny,...)

I don't see what people have against eric. He does more climbing so his gear is more robust than the average backpacker. If you're climbing or whatever, then listen to eric and if you're more average, then you can dial back some of his suggestions.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re. Deleted Posts on 11/06/2013 06:59:19 MST Print View

To Roger and All Ye Moderators:

I understand and support the need to remove inappropriate posts from time to time. But can y'all create a new "Removed Posts Branch (Read at Your Own Risk and Absolutely No Bitching)" -- so latecomers don't miss out on the excitement? Like this instance, some of us really felt like we missed out! :)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re. Deleted Posts on 11/14/2013 03:03:27 MST Print View

> I understand and support the need to remove inappropriate posts from time to time.
> But can y'all create a new "Removed Posts Branch (Read at Your Own Risk and
> Absolutely No Bitching)" -- so latecomers don't miss out on the excitement? Like
> this instance, some of us really felt like we missed out! :)

We did, but the thread deleted itself. It was last heard mumbling about 'the 3 Gs' as it left.

Cheers