Forum Index » Chaff » Man kills grizzly with...knife.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Man kills grizzly with...knife. on 11/01/2013 15:59:11 MDT Print View

Guy kills bear with nail clippers. Ripley's Believe it or not!

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/01/2013 21:56:22 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Man kills grizzly with...knife. on 11/01/2013 16:07:06 MDT Print View

and if there are any Jules Vernes fan, he published a book last week .Smiley wink

titled: Michael Strogoff, in which the book hero is attacked by a bear standing on 2 rear paws, so he stabs it in the stomach ONCE, but doesn't remove the knife, he keeps swirling it inside to scramble the bear's internal organs while keeping the quality of the fur whole and intact.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Man kills grizzly with...knife. on 11/01/2013 16:46:59 MDT Print View

Not so fast. According to the article, he may have actually shot it with his rifle first.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Only with knife? on 11/01/2013 16:54:01 MDT Print View

I wonder if the gunshot slowed the bear down at all? I don't doubt a knife would could kill a bear. I just wonder if the bear would have lived long enough to do more damage if it hadn't already been shot.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
bear on 11/01/2013 17:09:03 MDT Print View

I read in Ripleys believe it or not once as a kid, someone killed one with his bare hands.

Actually, when he was hitting the bear, he shoved his fist down into the bears throat, and the bear couldnt breathe, and suffocated.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Only with knife? on 11/01/2013 17:10:20 MDT Print View

The rifle shot was from a distance and it wasn't fatal. It most likely make the bear a little cranky. The knife stab was to the neck. Though not as heroic, because the bear mauled and crushed his arm, and the hunter is regretful that he assumed it was dead. That's why you always gotta learn from TV gangsters, and put a final round in the head, just to be extra extra sure.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Man kills grizzly with...knife. on 11/01/2013 17:11:15 MDT Print View

Pics of bear rug to follow.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/01/2013 21:56:54 MDT.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Old alaska guy punches out bear. on 11/01/2013 17:58:40 MDT Print View

" Gene drew back his left fist, and as the bear leaped at him, he threw the hardest punch of his life. He missed the nose, but struck her cocked head just under the eye. The impact of the punch combined with the momentum of the 750-pound brown was so powerful that his arm and hand went white and he had no feeling left in the knuckles. The sow's head twitched, and she bared two front teeth that were still covered with Gene's “meat,” as he tells it, before suddenly dropping with her paws under her body. Her cocked head straightened with the blow, and her nose pulled downward during her fall, ramming it into the moss. She lay motionless."

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/45097

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Old alaska guy punches out bear. on 11/01/2013 18:38:28 MDT Print View

... and then we worry about violence in the streets!

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Man kills discussion on 11/01/2013 19:15:52 MDT Print View

Took my ball and went home.

Edited by kthompson on 11/01/2013 21:17:18 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: reap on 11/01/2013 20:12:03 MDT Print View

Eric, I don't think that they were trying to make fun of your injury. I think it was more of a slow news day, so they got caught up in your style of news clips.

--B.G.--

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: reap on 11/01/2013 20:13:54 MDT Print View

"all you folks who want to talk about my gear closet ..."

I don't think anybody is making fun of your injuries, Eric. Indeed, as I posted before, I hope you recover ASAP, both for your sake and because ...

deleted

Edited by rcaffin on 11/01/2013 21:03:46 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: predictable. that's the word of the year. on 11/01/2013 20:48:41 MDT Print View

Hey, you guys want to discuss barefoot running and strength training?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Enough Guys on 11/01/2013 21:09:56 MDT Print View

There has been an increasing number of rather aggressive personal attacks between a small group of BPL regulars. A little bit of sniping is fine, but it is getting out of control. Not good, everyone. Ryan has asked that I try to keep everything pleasant.

I have deleted a whole lot of posts in this thread which were not contributing the bear discussion. Please, a bit more nicely?

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Monitor
Backpacking Light

Edited by rcaffin on 11/01/2013 21:12:41 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
nm on 11/01/2013 21:12:44 MDT Print View

forget it

Edited by kthompson on 11/01/2013 21:13:32 MDT.

David Olsen
(oware)

Eric on 11/02/2013 17:13:40 MDT Print View

Hope all is well. Sounds like I missed something.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Enough Guys on 11/02/2013 19:27:17 MDT Print View

"There has been an increasing number of rather aggressive personal attacks between a small group of BPL regulars. A little bit of sniping is fine, but it is getting out of control. Not good, everyone. Ryan has asked that I try to keep everything pleasant."

Point well taken, Roger, and I plead guilty as charged. I am a bit contrite, to be honest. However, simply deleting all these posts is simply putting a bandaid on a long festering wound. The "personal attacks" on Mr. Chan did not come out of nowhere. He has engaged in a nearly non stop stream of condescending remarks about the community at large, clearly designed to goad people into intemperate responses, ever since he showed up on this website; this is not the first time it has led to this kind of unpleasantness. Sooner or later, someone responds and then it's a downward spiral that reflects poorly on everyone involved. While I have no objection to the censorship, indeed it is RJ's and your prerogative as owner and forum monitor respectively, I would feel much better about the whole thing were you to also admonish Mr. Chan to cease his incessant provocations. Otherwise, I can practically guarantee it will happen again, sooner or later. It will certainly not come from me, for I have exceeded my LRA of all things Chan and shall have nothing further to do with him, but there will be others. You can count on that.

As a half serious aside, why couldn't you simply have moved the thread to Chaff and let him continue to receive the hiding he so richly deserved? ;0)

Edited by ouzel on 11/02/2013 19:46:38 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Enough Guys on 11/02/2013 20:46:20 MDT Print View

Hi Tom

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

> a nearly non stop stream of condescending remarks about the community at large,
> clearly designed to goad people into intemperate responses,
Ah, but one does not have to reply. Me, I usually just ignore and move on. I find that if no-one bites, trolls on any chatgroup usually give up.

> why couldn't you simply have moved the thread to Chaff
Good question. Addie used to do this for me as she had the necessary access privileges; I don't.
However, just before answering this posting I was discussing with Ryan what extra access privileges I need as Forum Moderator, and this very issue was at the top of the list! So, maybe ...

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Enough Guys on 11/03/2013 08:38:49 MST Print View

Roger,
Congrats!

And thanks.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Enough Guys on 11/03/2013 15:12:19 MST Print View

"Ah, but one does not have to reply. Me, I usually just ignore and move on. I find that if no-one bites, trolls on any chatgroup usually give up."

True enough, and I will submit that in the vast majority of cases so do I. However, in this particular case, ignoring has manifestly proven ineffective. My last borderline out of bounds interaction with Mr. Chan was some 3 years ago. In the interim, I have done precisely as you advise, but the insulting posts continue. At some point, being all too human, a slow burn grows into a flame that burns thru the bounds of restraint and I end up at this sad juncture. I guess all I am asking is that the entire burden not be placed on those of us who find his attitude and related comments highly offensive because, even if perfect restraint is exercised, the forum atmosphere will be poisoned. Restraint cuts both ways. My 2 cents, and thank you for listening.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Enough Guys on 11/03/2013 16:41:41 MST Print View

Good answer Tom. I agree.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
PM on 11/03/2013 19:59:38 MST Print View

folks if you have problems with me you can PM me ... i mean that seriously

there is no point about complaining on the forum about civility or other such if people doing personal attacks publicly on a thread that i am not even on

there are plenty of threads with a whole bunch of nastyness over the years which i never even posted on around BPL ... i mean at least a thread or two with someone calling mr jordan "lying jordan" or something or another ...

we can always dig up plenty of threads over the years where people on this thread were involved in many "condescending" attacks on others, threads where i wasnt or was barely involved in ... so theres is quite a bit of the pot calling the kettle black around here

what i do feel bad is mr caffin having to go out and delete all these posts in the middle of the night/morning

so i politely suggest that if you have a problem, PM me ... that way if you are serious about the civility on BPL, youll be keeping all the nastyness off the forums

thanks folks

;)

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Eric on 11/03/2013 20:29:48 MST Print View

@ David

i took around a 20-30 foot lead fall on the bulletheads in the chief back in June

my foot hit the slab on the way down and resulted in a torn achilles

we basically had to rap off trees and hobble/crawl down a few hundred metres of vertical terrain, fortunately no need to bother SAR as the climb was basically right out of the parking lot

soft tissue injuries are a long healing process unfortunately, but im hoping to be doing moderate short climbing by the new year

thanks for asking
eric

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Eric on 11/04/2013 11:31:41 MST Print View

Eric,

Sorry to hear about your injury and hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/04/2013 12:52:34 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Man kills grizzly with...kindness on 11/04/2013 12:36:39 MST Print View

No, really.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: PM on 11/05/2013 17:37:57 MST Print View

I don't see where all the eric hate is from

His experience is more from climbing so it isn't always applicable, but useful to many

David Olsen
(oware)

Woman stabs black bear on Northville-Placid Trail on 11/07/2013 08:29:15 MST Print View

http://www.denpubs.com/news/2013/sep/24/woman-stabs-black-bear-northville-placid-trail/

"Despite numerous attempts to frighten them off, the bears continued to follow her. Near Stephens Pond one of the bears approached her closely from behind, feeling threatened she stabbed the bear with a knife."