Forum Index » Chaff » bad dream

Display Avatars Sort By:
d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
bad dream on 11/01/2013 09:51:04 MDT Print View

OK, so last night I had a dream (probably inspired by a book I'm reading) that the sun's power was running out, and in a few days life as we know it would be over. Everyone was just hanging out in their homes, trying to stay warm, and waiting. Oddly, I wasn't particularly disturbed by the prospect. But then I found a tent, in its stuffsack, on the counter, and I thought "Oh crap, I forgot about this tent and now it's too late to sell it on BPL! Nobody will want to buy it when the world is ending,"

I think I need to get out of the house.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: bad dream on 11/01/2013 23:41:57 MDT Print View

Can't speak to your dream, but Becky and i had an odd experience a few days or so ago.

One night a few days or so ago, she asked me, "did you have a dream last night/this morning?" to which, i replied, "not that i remember, why?"

Instead of directly answering me, she started to tell me about her dream-- she had another dream about a collapse. Communications had shut off all of a sudden and out of the blue, and the government had done another government shut down except that this time there was no news, and they quietly disappeared, etc.

In the dream, there was something about the Sun but she didn't remember exactly what. Anyways, there was some kind of interpersonal thing going on with a person not involved with the local community. Before the dream could finish though, i apparently woke her up during it by yelling out loud in my sleep, "The Sun!" That's all i said apparently, but said it with urgency and intensity. (i don't remember this at all btw).

Odd that she would be having a dream about collapse, something to do with the Sun, and then me waking her up while shes having that dream by unconsciously yelling the Sun.

Edited by ArcturusBear on 11/01/2013 23:43:44 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: bad dream on 11/02/2013 08:39:07 MDT Print View

You guys may be on to something...

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-solar-flare-20131031,0,7996603.story#axzz2jRcm4GoI

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: bad dream on 11/02/2013 09:19:34 MDT Print View

"i apparently woke her up during it by yelling out loud in my sleep, "The Sun!""

How do you know you weren't yelling The Son! :-)

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: bad dream on 11/02/2013 11:49:07 MDT Print View

Well I suppose that is possible...

If I'm using "the" in front of Son! then it might be about Yeshua, which is possible since I occasionally have dreams about him (as well as the occasional meditation experience).

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
bad dream on 11/02/2013 17:56:12 MDT Print View

Well Justin, it shouldn't be much of a mystery.
You are obviously obsessed with end of the world and solar flare scenarios so it should not come as a surprise that both you and your wife have dreams about that.
But of course you already know that a sceptic like me will see it from a very different point of view from yours.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: bad dream on 11/02/2013 19:06:46 MDT Print View

Yep Franco, that must be all that it is. I only ever dream about things that i consciously think about, etc, etc. Nothing to reality except the earthly and perceivable by the 5 material senses.

Years ago, i use to interpret dreams almost completely in a symbolic manner, until i had some experiences which woke me up to a bigger picture.

One example from my log of experiences and from many years ago. I have a half brother who is much younger than myself--we had split ways awhile before this, and i only sporadically saw or hung out with him and frankly, didn't give a lot of thought to him and rarely ever had any dreams i remembered relating to him.

I had just moved to a new town and didn't know it at all. Hadn't talked to my brother in awhile, but i had a very vivid dream where my brother and i were at this large pond/small lake fishing together during a nice, warm sunny day. While we were fishing, a dark colored snake was swimming in the water, and kept coming closer and closer to us, until it was going directly towards/at us. We had to use our fishing poles to push it away and it was persistent.

I interpreted the dream symbolically as i usually did, though it might meant that my brother was going through a hard or difficult time or something to that affect.

A couple of weeks after the dream, he called me up out the blue, and asked me if he could come and stay for awhile. I said sure, he then asked if he could bring his fishing pole and if we could go fishing together, i again said sure, but told him i wasn't sure if there was any place in my new town or nearby to do that.

I found a large pond/small lake in the town. Some days later, we went out fishing there on a nice warm sunny day. While we were fishing, we saw a dark colored snake out a bit in the distance swimming in our general direction. It kept coming closer and closer to the shore and us. Just like in the dream, it went right to us, and we had to use our fishing poles to shew it away (and it was persistent for some reason).

I have not once before or since that, ever had any experience like that with a snake. The dream and the physical experience were so tit for tat it was downright spooky at the time.

My wife and i have had other precognitive experiences (both dream and meditation sourced) since that where things happened way beyond coincidence or conscious knowledge and sometimes very specific. Needless to say, i don't always interpret dreams in a purely symbolic manner anymore.

No doubt you either think it was a big coincidence, i'm making it up, i'm mentally ill, or some variation on a similar theme. I'm not too concerned either way--i use to be where you are in those mindsets.

Again, just because you haven't had repeated experiences like this, doesn't mean others haven't. Reality just may be a wee bit bigger than your narrow conceptions and perceptions of it. Many of the hard core skeptics that i've met, i've often gotten the sense that on some deep level that they had fear about the unknown and the uncontrollable, and don't want to believe reality is bigger than what they perceive or know consciously. Life is easier when you think you know all the variables, etc. Also, lot's of time it's just fear and doubt of what if i'm wrong, i need to be right about things, so let's play it safe with simple, easy answers. Really hard core skeptics tend to have a lot of ego and ego issues. Sometimes it takes an intense near death experience to shake them out of it.

May you have your own repeated experiences that you can't easily explain away. That's probably the only way you'll ever change your perceptions and beliefs, but the funny thing about belief is that it can either block or enhance one's perceptions depending on the degree of openness. Generally, when someone has little to no openness, their reality and perceptions follow suit. When you're truly open with no preconceptions and you ask to be shown what is really true, interesting things can start to happen.

Edited by ArcturusBear on 11/02/2013 19:41:59 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

bad dream on 11/02/2013 22:31:04 MDT Print View

You are correct.
My huge ego forces me to want not to be special.
Soon I will be the only one without special gifts, the only non-chosen one.
The problem with that is that by the time I'll be the only giftless one, I will be special too, but I will learn to deal with that.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: bad dream on 11/02/2013 22:39:09 MDT Print View

I never remember dreams. What does that mean? Sleep for me is like a switch. My wife says I'm asleep by the time my head hits the pillow. I wake up wide awake. Never with that grogginess that many experience.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: bad dream on 11/02/2013 23:03:09 MDT Print View

Franco keeps having dreams that he is either a Tarptent or a Hilleberg. Clearly he is too tense.

Badabing

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/02/2013 23:38:58 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

bad dream on 11/02/2013 23:37:44 MDT Print View

People that believe in the supernatural focus on what the few occasions when something does happen and disregard the many when it does not.
So for example if say 100,000 Americans dream of a house fire tonight (and remember the dream...) some of those sooner or later will have their house or they neighbour's or the house of someone they know burning down.
So they will tell everybody of their special premonition dream.(apart from that skeptic sad case like me they happen to know...)
However the other 99,990 that had the same dream without a fire following it, are not going to remember it or tell anyone that it did not happen.
The same works for folk predicting the future or the ones that can tell what card you are holding and stuff like that.

Marked for Deletion
Before you go...
Try consciously to remember your dreams as soon as you wake up.
I think that the best I have done is remembering 3 dreams but remembering one or two is pretty standard for me.
More if a noise or something wakes me up during the night.

BTW, I see dreams as our Disk Clean Up , so a mechanism to get rid of rubbish that hangs around and to allows us to cope better with reality.
Not all that dissimilar to what I imagine a sessions with a clynical phsicologys is , or say a long chat with a good friend.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: bad dream on 11/02/2013 23:38:52 MDT Print View

Franco writes, "You are correct.
My huge ego forces me to want not to be special.
Soon I will be the only one without special gifts, the only non-chosen one.
The problem with that is that by the time I'll be the only giftless one, I will be special too, but I will learn to deal with that."

Secretly thinking oneself more intelligent than most others is not a form of specialness?

Dolling out snarky, sarcastic personally directed comments on a semi-regular basis, but overall not posting much speaks for itself.

But since you went there again, i will say, A LOT of people have these kinds of abilities, senses, experiences. I've met people whose degree of intuition, abilities, and accuracy was definitely way beyond mine.

Since we all have a "soul" or nonphysical consciousness, we all have these abilities and perceptual capacities, it's just atrophied in the majority of people.

Not surprisingly Franco, it tends to be most atrophied in men (especially the stuck in the head, highly intellectual types) and most active/strong in women. Has a lot to do with the heart, feelings, empathy and the like.

For someone who has so little ego and no feelings of specialness, you sure do have a very aloof, separative vibe about you, which is palpable from way over here. No wonder you can't understand or accept such things, because you're so cut off from that more Feminine side. I'm sure you're basically a nice, decent person, and i do see you offering helpful advice to others as well but empathy and imagaination are two huge boosts to these kinds of abilities, and these you lack.

Methinks that when you were much younger, you were much more idealistic, open, and sensitive, perhaps unusually so, but you've become bitter and cynical and hard hearted. I will keep my "specialness" over your intellectual arrogance and heart closedness any day.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

bad dream on 11/03/2013 15:46:03 MST Print View

Maybe I do come across to you as bitter and twisted or maybe that is just how you wish to see me.
The fact is that the one that is trying to escape reality is you not me.
That suggest to me that you are not happy with your life as it is.
Yes I do realise that you will see my comment as simplistic, i chose to call it inconvenient.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: bad dream on 11/03/2013 20:23:54 MST Print View

"Maybe I do come across to you as bitter and twisted or maybe that is just how you wish to see me."

No, i don't see you as "twisted", that's a more negative and extreme characterization than i would use. Just think you could stand to open your heart a lot more, become more like a child again. A lot of men could benefit from this to a greater or lesser extent, it's a common problem with us men especially in certain cultures and parts of the world.

"The fact is that the one that is trying to escape reality is you not me."

Lol, "fact" huh? You're funny Franco. You really know very little about me, my life, my experiences, my beliefs, etc, etc. I've shared naught but a very small fraction of that here.

"That suggest to me that you are not happy with your life as it is."

See above again. And yet Franco, if i was as unhappy with my life and self as you think, chances are in my interactions with others here, there, and everywhere, i would be more observably negative. You know, fault finding, critical, snarky, sarcastic, etc . Most of the more deeply unhappy people i have met, had that in common, you could tell from their interactions with others that they lacked that inner peace, that attunement to joy, and in being in pain themselves did not have much empathy/compassion for others.

Perhaps you are "projecting" some here regarding "unhappy" comments my dour friend? I will tell you that you are partially right in an indirect sense. I'm extremely unhappy with the way this world is and is going, particularly my own country which seems to be an extreme example of manipulation and control on part of some very corrupt and self serving groups and forces. This really bothers me, less for my own personal sake, for for the sake of others. I have it relatively easy. Many people in this world are much more directly affected by this corruption right now than myself, but the way this country is heading, it has the potential to become worse.

Regarding the true nature of reality, are you really so sure that you have it all figured out? Because, the more i've dropped preconceptions and absolute certainty about the way things are, the more i've learned how little i know because reality is very, very big, mysterious, and truly "awe"some. I've been where you are. I use to be obsessed with science until i started to have experiences not explained by same. I really wanted to be a geneticist from the time i was 8 to 13. I also use to be like you are in that i use to be very hidden, self conscious, and more separative in nature. Talk about myself openly, talk about feelings, share or be vulnerable, be open, nope NEVER--i was about the quietist and most introverted person there was. It was when i was like that, that i was truly unhappy. I use to be chronically and deeply depressed.

Re: reality, i suppose only time will tell, eventually you and i will die, and either we won't exist (and you're right), or we will continue to exist and you will start to learn first hand how big reality is.

You once shared a book/author with me in your effort to convert me to the "truth". I did check it out some, looked it up on amazon and read the reviews.

Anyways, returning the favor some. Check out "Proof of Heaven" by Dr. Eben Alexander , who is a longish time Neurosurgeon. His specialty is the brain. He developed a specific illness and severe infection that essentially turned the cognitive parts of his brain into mush for awhile.

Yet, while he was dying and those parts of his brain dealing with cognitive awareness and perception shutting completely down, he was having very, very real feeling and vivid on all level experiences outside of space/time dimension. He said the experiences were more real, intense, and affecting than any earthly experiences he ever had. He didn't even want to come back, until he started to think about his younger son. He says point blank, from his scientific and medical training and mainstream scientific understanding, it should have been impossible for him to have had such perceptions and awareness while his brain was so compromised. In other words, his was not the typical near death experience which could possibly be explained by over firing neurons, massive chemical releases, etc.

Before this experience he was agnostic and had little to no interest in ideas of the nonphysical, Oneness, consciousness surviving death, etc. He said he looked down on people who held such delusional and backwards beliefs. In short, he was a very grounded and intellectual kind of man. His recovery alone is something of a medical miracle even putting aside the nonphysical experiences, etc.

But, i suppose you know more about the brain and his experiences than he does? Of course, it's easily explained away...somehow, (quick, grasp for something). Or maybe he's putting his considerable professional reputation on the line to sell a few books (most authors nowadays, unless they churn out perennially best sellers often, actually don't make much money directly anymore)? Ah, do you even realize the extent of your arrogance when you think you know peoples experiences, lives, perceptions and beliefs better than they do? It's one thing to think it (many probably do to some extent), it's a total other thing to keep reminding them, and particularly in the way you have with me with personal jabs and put downs.

In the future, if you can't be more constructive in your approach and interaction, i will simply ignore you and your jabs. Thus removing the thrills and frills of an insecure ego lashing out and getting it's kicks from putting down others.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: bad dream on 11/04/2013 11:11:07 MST Print View

A p.s. regarding the book recommendation: I actually don't agree with the title and premise of the book, as in "Proof of Heaven" because it's not really proof in general sense of the word. Certainly not indisputable scientific proof however strongly suggestive. It would have been better for the title to be something like, "Proof for (or to) myself that Heaven exists".

I'm also aware of the "controversy" around him. I don't know the truth of the matter regarding the accusations. I do know that virtually every medical person has or will at some point screw up in their practice, and the general system is more or less rigged to protect them and the institutions or companies they are involved with and almost in an automatic way.

I do know that a lot of his supposed NDE type insights and perceptions match my own insights and perceptions on a whole, based on a lot of repeated and different kinds of experiences over a span of about 20 years.

So personally speaking, i'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I also know the way the world and people work. When you "buck" the system to any extent, you tend to get slandered, vilified, etc, etc in more extreme ways because many people have and the general system has a strong urge to maintain the status quo. Many of the people who have sought to really change said systems often are even killed.... So slander, lies or twisting of truth, character assassination, and the like are not inconceivable knowing human history and tendencies and are the more mild and more frequent means to keep people "in line".

Perhaps a better and less controversial recommendation is a book called "Into the Light" written by John Lerma MD. Dr. Lerma is someone who has worked with the terminally ill for a long time, and has collected quite a large amount of experiences that involve verification of info beyond the conscious minds involved, not to mention it's one of the most beautiful and touching books i have ever read. Usually it's the person very close to death that is giving information to or for others, that they could not possibly known or very, very unlikely to know.

He doesn't claim that these experiences, often times involving both himself and others in some really amazing ways, are necessarily the equivalent of scientific proof, but he does say that these repeated experiences have convinced him personally to a belief in the reality of the nonphysical and the survival of consciousness after death. Before these repeated experiences, he was much more intellectual and doubtful and focused on things of the Earth.

Sorry for the thread hijack D.K. I will stop here, and if you want i will erase all my previous posts.