Forum Index » GEAR » MSR Hubba NX

Display Avatars Sort By:
John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Carbon Fiber Poles? on 11/04/2013 14:12:13 MST Print View

I wonder if more weight can be saved by sending the poles to Ruta Locura and getting a set of carbon poles made. I did that with my Fly Creek 2 and dropped 4.5 ounces. The sad think is I've never used that tent once.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Odd. on 05/08/2014 22:56:41 MDT Print View

I find it odd that the MSR Hubba NX is offered at 2 lbs 14 oz packed weight...

...while the MSR Carbon Reflex UL tent (non-free-standing, doesn't have the hubbed poles to the corners) is still offered at packed weight of 2 lbs 9 oz. And it is based off the brown/green Hubba with heavier fabric, odder yet.

Are there consumers that would forego freestanding for 5 oz weight savings? I wouldn't. If I could save 16 oz, then yeah; but I'd not trade freestanding for 5 oz.

And why not simply offer the carbon fiber poles for the new red/white Hubba NX? They could probably drop another couple ounces.

Edited by Bolster on 05/08/2014 23:03:16 MDT.

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - F - M

Locale: Epping Forest
carbon poles on 05/09/2014 03:31:29 MDT Print View

Delmar - that's so that after you buy a Hubba NX, you'll want to replace it next year when they release the carbon pole Hubba NX Carbon ;)

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Negative Review - Puzzled on 06/16/2014 21:18:57 MDT Print View

Puzzled by a very negative review of Hubba NX at REI:

"The old fly design allowed for 100% versatility in pitching with the ability to open either way for wind/rain protection - ever notice how the wind swings 180* when a storm moves through? or slope/terrain conditions dictate the orientation of the tent. Yes I do have to reach out to work the zipper but I can change the fly for when that warm south wind and rain changed to cold north and snow."

I don't understand. I own the brown/green Hubba, and it only has one side door, which matches up with the one door in the fly. If I were to switch the fly around 180 degrees, I couldn't get in/out the tent door. What am I missing here? Is this post referring perhaps to a two-door version of the Hubba?

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Hubba NX on 06/16/2014 22:38:50 MDT Print View

Delmar,
With the Hubba design, new or old, the fly door can be staked out and the rest of the front vestibule folded or rolled up with a little fiddling. That could be what the reviewer had in mind, as it would allow the less wind exposed side of the front vestibule to be opened for ventilation. How important is that? What if the wind shifts back a few degrees after all the fiddling? Usually, if the rear of the tent is pitched into the wind, the fly door on the front of the tent can be zipped up a bit as originally designed to do for more venting.
I think we can get a little over obsessive sometimes with tent fiddling. When the weather is really nasty, most people just want to get something up and in place as quickly as possible for protection, with the absolute minimum of fiddling.

That said, I'd like to harp some more about the 36" height. Unless you are a smaller person, you might find that very confining. Please try crawling into a 1P NX before you buy.

Since every ounce doesn't sound critical in your posts, you might want to look at the Marmot Pulsar 1P at: http://marmot.com/products/details/pulsar-1p
The same basic design, more space, and still only around 3 lbs. Also, they give the HH of the fabrics at different points on the fly - no 'hide the ball' nonsense.
If you're determined to go as light as possible for this type of design, the Big Agnes Copper Spur solo tent is also bigger than the NX, and even lighter. The compromise is with Big Agnes' less waterproof coatings on the fabric.

You can order the parts from Quest Outfitters to make carbon poles, or make even lighter ones as described in some of my threads you've posted on, so I know you've read them. But the Hubba two-hub design is a problem for carbon poles. Indeed, MSR's decision to drop the hubs from their carbon version of the Hubba speaks to that. Even with careful attention to reinforcements, carbon tubes just don't work well with hubs. After trying a number of carbon and carbon/alloy tubes with FibraPlex Hubs on an original Hubba, I finally had to use ferruled aluminum alloy Easton Nanolites (.344" OD) for the four spreader struts that project from the hubs in order to avoid further breaks. Luckily, I got these onto my friend's carbon Hubba poles before the struts had a chance to break in actual use; otherwise, our relationship might have suffered quite a bit.

Best of luck with your next tent purchase.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Hubba NX on 06/17/2014 04:47:59 MDT Print View

What I like about my old Hubba with the center zip on the door is having one side open, one side closed so I can cook. The closed side allows for wind break for the stove. I don't know how this would work with the side zipped door on the NX.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Thanks on 06/17/2014 13:54:33 MDT Print View

OK, I get it now. The poster isn't really talking about switching the fly 180 degrees, he's talking about rolling back one flap of the fly's door or the other--he's talking about 90 degrees of flexibility, not 180.

Samuel: Thanks for the explanation. My attraction to the NX is that I like my green/brown Hubba (except for 3 lbs weight) but I would like the solid walls higher, as in the NX.

Being a desert dweller, I do like a small-footprint freestanding tent, as the ground is often challenging for secure staking or large sites to pitch--a trim tent will often fit betwixt and between.

Edited by Bolster on 06/28/2014 16:42:44 MDT.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Pulsar on 06/17/2014 15:05:31 MDT Print View

I just picked up a Marmot Pulsar 2P on Steep and Cheap. I am pretty impressed so far. This seems to be "sleeper" tent. Very good specs and weight. More waterproof than most. Good Length for a 6'3" dude. But no one talks about it.

Ben