Forum Index » GEAR » MSR Hubba NX

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
MSR Hubba NX on 10/31/2013 14:38:03 MDT Print View

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/early-releases/hubba-nx/product

The Hubba is being replaced with the Hubba NX. Although 2" shorter in height, the tent is now 4" wider and 6 oz lighter.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Hubba NX on 10/31/2013 19:28:22 MDT Print View

Nice info. Looks like NX versions of the full Hubba line are coming out. Looks like a nice update.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Hubba NX on 11/01/2013 10:50:24 MDT Print View

I had a Hubba for awhile and kind of sorry I got rid of it but it was narrow providing just enough room to fit a single sleeping bag. Would either one of you buy this new version?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Hubba NX on 11/01/2013 11:22:13 MDT Print View

I use a TT Notch now but this version at several inches wider now should get rid of the only complaint I had with my Hubba (apart from a little heavy).

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
tall people on 11/01/2013 14:39:34 MDT Print View

Probably a worse design for tall folk. Besides being an inch less length wise, the clipping system has been reworked which appears would make the walls less vertical decreasing actual usable space. I liked the length of the old one but it was too narrow.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Hubba NX on 11/01/2013 14:54:54 MDT Print View

I like my Hubba quite a bit.
Sad to see the green color go on the new ones, it's one of my favoprite things about this tent ( I like the light color inside). I think the red/gray is ugly.

Space is a relative thing.
I'm 6'2", 215 pounds, long size sleeping bag. Yes, the Hubba is small. But I don't find it too small. As it's double walled, brushing the sides doesn't matter. And if it's not buggy you can keep the door open with the vestibule shut for cooking. Sitting cross legged in the doorway facing the vestibule is plenty of space for me to do chores, read, whatever.

I really have a hard time imagining that an extra 4" width will make that big of a difference. I certainly wouldn't buy the new version to drop 6 ounces either.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Hubba NX on 11/01/2013 14:59:35 MDT Print View

"Probably a worse design for tall folk. Besides being an inch less length wise, the clipping system has been reworked which appears would make the walls less vertical decreasing actual usable space."

I compared the two versions side by side (pictures) and the new version appears to have more vertical ends with the new pole structure. Hard to tell definitively, however.

Craig - yes, the Hubba is still my favorite 1 person, freestanding tent. Similar size, I never found it too narrow but a little extra width can't hurt. The vents on the fly will help - from what I understand, the space between the fly and inner tent has also been widened, promoting airflow.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
vertical walls on 11/01/2013 19:31:48 MDT Print View

The poles on the new hubba are more like the BA CS ul1 now. That pole design, where the feet spread apart from the main longitudinal pole further from the ground, means the inner tent cannot clip to the pole structure where its most needed by the head and feet to open things up.

I prefer the CSUl1 to the hubba and have owned both, but wish the clip attachment points on the main pole were closer to the position of ones head and feet.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
MSR Hubba NX on 11/01/2013 22:07:29 MDT Print View

I think it looks quite good and I particularly like that manufacturers are starting to build their inner tents with partially solid sides. I can't see myself ever going back to a full mesh inner, so it's nice to have another tent to add to my "must check out list".

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/02/2013 05:48:38 MDT Print View

Maybe I am wrong, but this looks like it is replacing the HP ...or was it XP...style and that the mesh Hubba will remain. At close to $400 it isn't worth it. Get cuben for that price. Even the regular Hubba has less mesh ob the rear side,,,which I think is a better idea. If the back vestibule isn't tied tight enough, rain will bounce up inside. I know this because I was in a really bad rain storm in mine. Once I tied it tighter that little tent held tight and dry.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/02/2013 08:35:58 MDT Print View

The HP hasn't been sold in North America for 3 years. The NX is the replacement for the regular Hubba series. The fly "issue" you mention was rectified a few years ago with the longer fly design on the green models. You may see that on the new NX models, the fly is redesigned further with a semi side entry, rather than with a centre zip. Can you please direct me to a freestanding, double walled, cuben tent for $400 beans. I would be all over that!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Price is relative on 11/02/2013 10:32:25 MDT Print View

Besides, none of us are paying $400. We'll all wait for our 20% off coupons, REI dividends, End-Of-Season sales, and gear swap stars to align and get one for half that.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/02/2013 10:38:58 MDT Print View

I would still like to see a wider floor in this tent. I own the Hubba Hubba HP and it is narrower than I like. The few added inches aren't enough, in my opinion.

I'd prefer this shape (which I use in my myog tents)

here

Jesse Anderson
(jeepin05) - F

Locale: Land of Enchantment
Re: Re: Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/02/2013 19:34:59 MDT Print View

If this is the replacement for the Standard Hubbu series, they're certainly marketing it in a funny way. To start with the price difference for the two person model is $60. That's almost a 20% price increase over last years model. I undestand that the materials in the NX model are lighter/more expensive, but that kind of a price hike is pretty uncommon. Add to that, both are on the website at the same time. Normally a the new model completely replaces the older on. I'm not saying you're wrong, but how they're introducing it seems a bit odd to me.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Hubba NX on 11/02/2013 22:13:42 MDT Print View

Well, four inches in any direction can make a big difference.
Increasing the width to 30" is a major plus for the many who felt the old Hubba and some other 26" wide solo dome tents, like those made for REI, were coffin-like.

Unfortunately, the pic shows the height has been dropped to 36", too low for many. So with all the new low denier material, they are still taking from Peter to pay Paul.

Guess lightweight tent designing sturdy enough for the mass market must not be very inspiring. There is definitely a niche there waiting for a cottage maker who can get SUL material with a decent HH to make a dome tent. When they do, hope the frame is not hubbed. If there must be only one ridge pole, how about a Phreerunner design with one carbon strut on the ground at each end to hold the corners apart. (Similar to what TarpTent did with trekking poles on the Rainbow.)

Had thought that the Hubba came out before the Copper Spur, but could be wrong about that.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/03/2013 08:23:53 MST Print View

"I undestand that the materials in the NX model are lighter/more expensive, but that kind of a price hike is pretty uncommon. Add to that, both are on the website at the same time"

The NX models are a different design. Different pole structure, vents on the fly, larger but lighter. Why would you keep selling an inferior design? As far as selling both, the link is for a limited early run of the NX before it goes on wider sale in early 2014. That is in print.

That price hike is not uncommon for a new and improved model. Hubbas have been enjoying price creep for years. Get ready for increases in the prices of all goods coming out of Asia. Most manufacturers are hedging against the inevitable depression of the USD for 2014.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/03/2013 10:36:33 MST Print View

I sent an email to Cascade Designs inquiring about the new Hubba and if it will replace the old version. I personally think $400 for a tent like that is so outrageous and unnecessary. Just my view.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/03/2013 10:52:39 MST Print View

Good thing it isn't $400 then!

$339.

$5 cheaper than the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1, the direct competitor.

Outrageous!

; )

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/03/2013 11:31:30 MST Print View

: )

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSR Hubba NX on 11/04/2013 13:34:37 MST Print View

MSR responded...yep....so long, old Hubba. NX is your replacement.