Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bighorn Mountains Wyoming

Display Avatars Sort By:
albert gordon
(mahiker) - M
Bighorn Mountains Wyoming on 06/26/2007 18:53:08 MDT Print View

I am planning a hiking trip to the Cloud Peak Wilderness area in Wyoming for mid August and need suggestions. We want to get away from the horse packing crowd into some decent above treeline trout fishing. Any advice on trails and lakes to fish would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Bighorn Mountains Wyoming on 06/26/2007 21:05:41 MDT Print View

While you are around that area, drive down to Tensleep and drop past the Brokenback Creek (N 44.084181°, W 107.517364°) that flows into Nowood River - north-west of Tensleep, WY. Nowood used to have good fishing there.

Ryan Hutchins
(ryan_hutchins) - F

Locale: Somewhere out there
Bighorn fishing on 06/29/2007 10:52:30 MDT Print View

The fishing in the bighorns is fantastic. Some of the best lake fishing around. You can expect to find fish in most of the alpine lakes I think. By best fishing do you want the most/easiest fish to catch or the most challenging? As far as getting away from the outfitters up there, camp off trail 200' or more and travel off trail as much as possible. The outfitter camps are obvious, so you should be able to scoot right by them and find your own camp. Stay off pack trails if possible, these should be designated on the USGS Quads for the area.
HTH
Ryan

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Bighorn fishing on 06/29/2007 20:39:21 MDT Print View

I would second the fishing in the bighorns. When I was growing up, we stopped carrying "normal" food when in the bighorns. Just brought things to be served with the trout we would reliably catch and a pole.