Expensive windshirts vs cheap ones
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Sun/bug breaker on 11/11/2013 07:39:14 MST Print View

I use these garments differently than many/most of you. I use them as my primary shirt to protect me from sun and bugs. I wear this garment during all my waking hours while backpacking. I want the most breathable fabric I can get because this will be my primary garment in temps up to 90 degrees F. Wind protection is secondary.

So, for me,. the best of these garments is typically a used cheap xxl sized former windbreaker that has had any/all coatings removed by being washed hundreds of times.

Edited by lyrad1 on 03/17/2014 18:07:18 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Sun/bug breaker on 11/11/2013 11:27:11 MST Print View

Kids, don't do this! Geez, Daryl!

That warning aside, yes indeed, windshirts should be thought of as shirts, just like a button down, but with some jacket-like qualities. I definitely want a light color to get the most use.

Companies like Solumbra make sun protective shells with lots of ventilation. They aren't as light as the SUL windshirts and are more like Supplex button downs for weight.

Patagonia, Ex Officio and others have turned out "sun hoodies" with more knit like fabrics. I would much rather have something on the windshirt side of the design fence.

Edited by dwambaugh on 11/11/2013 11:28:56 MST.

Mo Rodopsky
(rhodopean) - MLife
westcomb on 11/12/2013 20:31:13 MST Print View

Probably offtopic,but as we are talking about high-end brands,street fashion and marketing,I just noticed that the male models on Westcomb's web site are wearing...jeans! Unbelievable...

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: westcomb on 11/12/2013 20:46:40 MST Print View

Art directors have never really struck me as hikers.

Besides you're not going to take your $550 rain jacket out in the dirty old woods are ya?

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: westcomb on 11/12/2013 20:57:23 MST Print View

Westcomb, like dead bird and patagucci ... While being used by athletes on mountains ... Is more often found in the wild urban concrete forest ...

But unlike the others everything is made in vancouver CANADA

IMO, most if not all major "outdoor" brands cater more to the (sub)urban fashion conscious upwardly mobile professional

;)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Urban outdoorsy on 11/12/2013 21:24:34 MST Print View

Eric,

I've never seen anything like that in Seattle :) Dead Bird, TNF, Patamygucchi, etc on the bus, UW campus, at the theatre, you name it. We even have our own Arc'teryx store now. If Tilley moves in, we're all going to start spelling funny and saying "eh," eh?

Edited by dwambaugh on 11/13/2013 01:10:57 MST.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: Urban outdoorsy on 11/13/2013 13:23:49 MST Print View

Dale,

i actually stopped by the new dead bird store in the heart of "trendy" vancouver yesterday

basically it looked like one of those fashion stores ... ie LV, coach, gucci ... etc ...

bare appearance, with some racks with pieces, not too much selection, not a sale in sight, everything at full price, and a poor selection

the majority of the goods were puffies, rain shells, a few fleece/softshells, and stuff like gloves. belts. their urban $$$$ veilllance line ...

generally what people buy for urban wear to look cool and trendy

note that on this particular street block alone there is a dead bird, bankbreaker, TNF and lululemon stores all within 200 ft of each other and next to other "fashion" store brands

;)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Urban outdoorsy on 11/13/2013 13:51:37 MST Print View

Exactly what I saw in Seattle. The Ibex store strikes me the same way. With the cost of those locations, they want a more universal audience. Fun place to slum :)

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Expensive windshirts vs cheap ones on 11/13/2013 16:01:42 MST Print View

Hi Steve,

I wear a cheap one. $10, new. It has a hood, fits like a high end jacket, is quite breathable, water proof for a while, and a good wind shirt. Weighs less than 3 oz. It also came with a free set of chaps from the same material.

Check it out here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=64670