Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tragedy in Alberta: Missing mother of two babies
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Tragedy in Alberta: Missing mother of two babies on 06/26/2007 14:31:07 MDT Print View

While not strictly backpacking-related, I was hoping that residents of BC and Alberta could have a look at this post out of compassion for a family whose mother is missing.

A close friend of my girlfriend has disappeared in Canmore, Alberta. Late last week she gave birth to her second child and was overcome with depression. She talked of suicide and wanting to go into the woods and die, then 2 days later she went outside to read a book and just walked away.

The story has been covered by many major news outlets: for any Albertans or British Columbians who haven't seen it, though, please read the story and look at the photo:

http://www.660news.com/news/local/article.jsp;jsessionid=EACEMNHCEBBF?content=20070625_203822_5284

Julie Martel is one of the sweetest, kindest, gentlest souls you could know. She's an elementary school teacher, a mother, a wife, and a beloved sister and daughter. She speaks with a french (Quebecoise) accent. She was my girlfriend's best friend in University and while I've only met her a few times, I feel distraught that such a good and gentle person could be in danger or distress.

She's probably somewhere in the Alberta Rockies or the interior of BC. She loves hitchhiking and backpacking and could be anywhere near a road or in the backcountry. If you see Julie or anyone you think might be her, please contact the Canmore RCMP at (403) 678-5519. Her family are Eastern Canadians who speak little or no english, and together with her husband have been pleading desperately for help.

Thank you everyone for reading.

Brian

Edited by bjamesd on 06/26/2007 14:43:16 MDT.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Update on 06/29/2007 23:55:51 MDT Print View

Any news?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Found on 07/16/2007 12:45:17 MDT Print View

They found her. If anyone besides me wondered.