Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Making a Cup from Ground Coffee
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Via Schmia on 10/30/2013 22:08:47 MDT Print View

(Do the anti-instant activists in this thread consider Via-type coffee to be instant?)

Yes and very expensive for what you get. A subpar, tiny cup of coffee. Only time I worried about my safety was when everyone realized that they all bought Italian Roast decaf by mistake, and I sat alone with real grounds.

Edited by kthompson on 10/30/2013 22:11:23 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Instant Espresso Coffee on 10/31/2013 08:57:01 MDT Print View

If you have spent time in the military, this should be more than adequate -- anything should be more than adequate.

Nescafe Clasico

Just re-package into a Ziploc.

No extra weight for paraphernalia needed. The coffee is lighter than ground coffee.

This is BPL, you know :)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Instant Espresso Coffee on 10/31/2013 09:58:49 MDT Print View

"If you have spent time in the military, this should be more than adequate. This is BPL, you know :)"

Considering the fact that my total ruck weight has been reduced from 75+lbs to 20 (not including LCE or weapon), I'll gladly accept the 1 gram penalty to drink real coffee.

I don't know when you got out Nick but trioxane tablets basically disappeared from the supply room when the MRE heaters arrived.

Grunt coffee is now (or at least when I ETS’d) 1) empty (dry) instant coffee, creamer, and sugar into mouth, 2) take a swig from canteen, and 3) gargle and enjoy.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Real Coffee on 10/31/2013 10:13:35 MDT Print View

See, but what is "real" coffee? I don't drink coffee at home - I was a barista for 9 years and have a near pro espresso machine. I make lattes ;-) To me that is real.
I am fine with instant on the trail simply for the caffeine.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Real Coffee on 10/31/2013 10:18:21 MDT Print View

"Real Coffee" is one of Ken T.'s trail names.
Here is why

Real coffee

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Real Coffee on 10/31/2013 10:27:34 MDT Print View

Was that picture taken near the equator?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Instant Espresso Coffee on 10/31/2013 14:19:27 MDT Print View

"I don't know when you got out Nick but trioxane tablets basically disappeared from the supply room when the MRE heaters arrived."

I've never seen a MRE. We had K rations and even C rations at times. K rations even had cigarettes in them. Even mess hall coffee was suspect, unless you were fortunate enough to be on an Air Force facility :)

Frank T
(random_walk) - F
Infuser sppon on 10/31/2013 15:26:26 MDT Print View

Years ago I bought a one-cup infuser spoon for making my morning coffee. It's plastic, with a snap-closure lid and very fine mesh, like that on the MugMate. It's meant to straddle the rim of a nearly-full mug and steep into the hot water. The quality of the brew is pretty good (depending on the quality of the grinds, of course).

For the life of me I can't find a listing or even a picture of it on the interwebz. I'm pretty sure I got it at REI, but it's not on their online site. I'll dig it out and post a picture; maybe someone knows where to get one.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Making a Cup From Ground Coffee on 10/31/2013 19:21:34 MDT Print View

> To the web site admin
> ****Please remove all references in this thread to instant so-called coffee.****

Boy, I am tempted! :-) :-)
But I take note about Ken's comment about safety.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 10/31/2013 19:22:00 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Instant Espresso Coffee on 10/31/2013 19:30:51 MDT Print View

"We had K rations and even C rations at times."

Nick, on the DMZ, we had one box of C rations for the middle of the night, assuming that we were on duty, which we normally were. They always had a big pot of brewed coffee in some nearby command bunker where it was warm, so that was always a big hit.

Unfortunately, I spent most of my time in a commo bunker, and there was no coffee pot. I had to make due with trioxane tablets, a canteen of water, and some instant coffee. You learn to appreciate even the smallest things.

--B.G.--

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Tea Infuser Report on 11/04/2013 18:38:44 MST Print View

Report on the Tea Infuser for Ground Coffee idea:

It works, with certain compromises. Purchased a stainless steel mesh "ball" tea infuser at Walmart ($2.50). Can only fill half the infuser, which appears to be around 3/4 oz (in volume) of ground coffee, if you pack it in. I'm accustomed to 1 oz (volume) ground coffee per cup. I tried the infuser with 1 cup of water. Let it steep 3 minutes in hot water. The coffee was good, not bitter as expected, only a bit weak, so next time I'd only boil 3/4 cup water (OR work harder at filling the infuser fuller). Tastewise I think it is closed to a french press coffee. The ball's diameter may present a problem with sufficient depth in the cup for a good infusion, so a narrow cup is best.

I ground the coffee maybe too fine for an infuser, so the last swallow had "sand" in it.

It could work with a few tweaks to technique, I think. A lightweight, low-cost, reusable solution.

Since the tea-ball opens into two half spheres, a secondary use would be to place the infuser over the neck of your water bottle and use it as a strainer.

Edited by Bolster on 11/04/2013 18:41:38 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Tea Infuser Report on 11/04/2013 18:43:30 MST Print View

"Can only fill half the infuser, which appears to be around 3/4 oz (in volume) of ground coffee, if you pack it in."

I assume you say you can only fill half because the infuser opens in the middle, but if you carry a small piece of very thin cardboard/heavy paper (like a matchbook cover or some such), you can fill both sides, put the paper over one side, close, and then slide the paper out and lock the halves together. That way you don't have to limit the water for your coffee.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Tea Infuser Report on 11/04/2013 19:03:58 MST Print View

"Can only fill half the infuser..."

Take enough coffee in a baggie to allow you to bury both halves. Then screw them together.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Both Halves on 11/04/2013 19:27:40 MST Print View

I see what you're saying...bury the infuser in the coffee, and then you can scoop a full infuser. Or cardboard over one half. Both techniques sound like they'd work, with a bit of finesse.

Tea ball, if you want to see it, here:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Tea-Ball/16565411

Weighs 0.6 oz

Edited by Bolster on 11/04/2013 19:36:40 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Both Halves on 11/04/2013 19:32:42 MST Print View

"I'd do either over a surface that would allow me to recover spillage."

If you do your overfilling of both halves, and assembly, in a largish bag recovery is automatic.

Edited by greg23 on 11/04/2013 19:33:20 MST.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: Both Halves on 11/04/2013 19:39:42 MST Print View

Even so, you might want to leave a little space for expansion.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Both Halves on 11/04/2013 20:14:21 MST Print View

NM. Trying to behave.

Edited by idester on 11/04/2013 20:26:20 MST.

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
What I do for coffee on the trail on 11/05/2013 15:44:55 MST Print View

Here's what I do:

Grind my coffee at home and fill a number of these ahead of time. Fold over the top edge twice and stick a stick through it (just like the plastic skewer that comes with this). Let steep for at least 4 mins. Give it a number of lifts and bobs in the water toward the end....then press out the bag some with my spoon. Disperse in nature (as a great compost-able carbon source...AFTER used for brewing) or simply drop in your garbage bag when done.

Finum Filter

http://www.amazon.com/Finum-100-Cup-Size-Filters-Stick/dp/B002WB12IE/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383691015&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=finum+coffe+bag

I've found this to be the easiest solution for coffee on the trail. The filter bags weigh practically nothing, and this setup makes for no real clean up other than maybe just rinsing out your mug when done.

HTH

-KJ

Edited by f8less on 11/05/2013 15:57:31 MST.

Jeffeory Van Meter
(jeffeory@gmail.com) - M

Locale: North Texas
This one does it for me... on 11/06/2013 08:53:35 MST Print View

GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Ultralight-Java-Drip/dp/B001LF3ICU/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1383752553&sr=1-8&keywords=GSI+coffee

I use AeroPress and other french style presses at home for flavor and process control, but this one can't be beat while grinding through wilds (pun intended). It weighs in at 1/2 oz, can be used with or without filters. Fairly easy cleanup when dried. If you need strong coffee, you'll need a filter to slow the flow. Filter mesh is very fine, so no mud in your mug!

Stows easy in your cookware, small, light and a pleasure to use.

Highly Recommended!

Andrew Stow
(AndyS) - F - MLife

Locale: Midwest USA
El cheapo on 11/06/2013 09:21:21 MST Print View

I've used this ugly brown plastic beast for years.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80750

1.6 oz or so, awkward to pack, needs topping up once to make a full cup, but hey, $4.99.