Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Thru-Hiking Alaska‚Äôs Arctic: A 1,000 Mile Solo Traverse

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Craig
(stcraig@hotmail.com) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
Great Job! on 11/05/2013 11:18:37 MST Print View

Wonderful story, an accomplishment that inspires! Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Michael Reed
(MichaelR42) - MLife

Locale: Betwixt the Ozarks and Ouachitas
What a great story on 11/07/2013 09:14:38 MST Print View

What a great story. My accomplishments are pretty insignificant in comparison.

Richard Ostheimer
(rickostheimerbpl) - MLife
Fantastic Adventure and Excellent Write-up on 11/08/2013 18:05:58 MST Print View

Congratulations on your epic trek! Although I heard you describe this trip at the ALDHA-W Gathering this fall, I thoroughly enjoyed the write up. It's been 13 years since I joined a group from the Sierra Club for a trek in the Brooks Range from "the road" to Anaktuvak Pass. This was in early August, 2000. I was amazed that there was only one day of the two week trip when we were bothered by mosquitoes. I was also impressed with how quickly the weather can change. After we'd set up our dining shelter with the rear toward the wind, the wind shifted 90 degrees from West to North and a two day blizzard ensued during which we holed up in our tents. There was one book among the 8 of us and I remember tearing apart sections and passing them around. When we finally headed out again, there was 18 inches of wet snow in the pass we'd been headed to. We took turns breaking trail. I fell totally in love with the Arctic. Your write up inspires me to make another trek up there, though I'll need to hike with a group for safety since I'm a senior citizen.

ERIC PAYNE
(vaporjourney)

Locale: Greater Gila
re: Lost in the Arctic on 11/11/2013 22:16:51 MST Print View

Incredible Lost. Can't wait to see where you take your Packraft next year.

Francis Tapon
(ftapon) - MLife

Locale: Earth
Jaw dropping on 08/03/2014 10:34:49 MDT Print View

Kristin,

Your accomplishment is remarkable and amazing! Bravo!

It doesn't seem you read these comments, but it would be great to know why you chose the Yukon Border as the starting point and not the Arctic Ocean?

I suppose to avoid dealing with Canadian authorities + shortening the trip a bit, but perhaps there's another reason.

Regardless, doing the Brooks Range has been a lifelong dream for me, so I'm utterly inspired and impressed by your solo adventure. Keep it up!

Francis