Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/28/2013 19:19:25 MDT Print View

Got this today.

Dear BPL Lifetime Member,

I'd like to invite you to participate in a strategic planning survey that is specifically targeted to identify if MLIFE's are either supportive or opposed to seeing third-party advertising when they are logged in at backpackinglight.com with their MLIFE user account.

There is a brief introduction, followed by two questions. Thank you for participating - your feedback is incredibly valuable to me.

Please take the survey online here:

******I did not include the link as it is meant for MLifers only.************

Best Regards,
Ryan Jordan
Founder / CEO
Backpacking Light

It's a 90 day test period. We'll see.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: New England
Re:Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 05:12:55 MDT Print View

I too received the survey invitation, and this was my response:

I'm sorry, but as a lifetime member, I paid my dues and have received no real return on this investment. You (Ryan) have been utterly and completely absent from the site. Content has been lame to say the least. Complaints, suggestions, and even willing volunteers have been ignored and snubbed. Adding this advertising to MLifers is adding insult to injury. I understand your desire to monetize the site, but first you must rebuild the trust that you've systemically destroyed during the past 3 years that I've been a lifetime member.

---
A far better approach would be to engage customers and visitors in a meaningful dialog about how to share the burden of managing the site, generating new content, welcoming visitors, and generating activity that makes people DESPERATE to join rather than wondering WHY they joined.

There are an huge number of people here who would love to help out, love to participate in many ways, if only their contribution was allowed, valued, and recognized. Find ways to recognize and thank those who've contributed the most, assisted others, generated the most content. Make people feel welcome and valued.

Giffgaff in the UK is a mobile phone company that generated 400k subscribers in 3 years-with a staff of only 25. They key to their success? They let their customers design the company. They have no customer support function--it is all done via their online customer support community. There is a tier-II support for billing and other privacy-related issues, but the customers support each other and do a far better job than US industry call centers. Customers recruit new members, create advertisements, set pricing, create apps, and generate content. All because they care about the product and community.

People here are passionate about the community. Let them loose and enable them to work miracles.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re:Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 06:16:33 MDT Print View

Thanks Curtis! +1

Did anyone notice that no mention of the survey has been made by Ryan here on BPL in the MLife forum?

I like this last post by him...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66311&skip_to_post=570076#570076

Edit: Doh. Let me include it so all can read it. Thanks Jason

Re: Re: Ryan's Email on 08/01/2012 15:49:11 MDT Reply Report Post Print View
MLIFE's have earned the privilege of getting an insiders view into how BPL works. I think it's important for me to start by reinforcing this relationship first.

OK so in the interest of fairness he never states when that would begin. I just didn't think it would be so long.

I'm sure more links to follow.

Edited by kthompson on 10/29/2013 17:17:03 MDT.

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Re: Re: Re:Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 06:35:29 MDT Print View

+2

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re:Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 08:41:48 MDT Print View

"Did anyone notice that no mention of the survey has been made by Ryan here on BPL in the MLife forum?"

Ryan sent an email link to Survey Monkey. This way he knows who responded and might take comments into consideration based on who made them.

Maybe he will engage members to assist as Curtis suggested. Maybe he won't.

Lets give him some slack. He is doing something. We need to keep in mind that he has a family to support and investing time in supporting BPL has not worked for him, as it apparently does not generate enough income to free him up from his other income producing activities.

Yes, paying members may not have received what has been promised, but it appears Ryan is trying.

Perhaps we should sit back and let him fix things. Ultimately what BPL becomes or does not become is up to Ryan. It is his website.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
MLife on 10/29/2013 09:26:27 MDT Print View

I am an MLifer and received no such survey invitation. Come to think of it, I never receive any newsletter or other communication from BPL (other than watched thread notifications).

Checked my account preferences and indeed I am signed up for email and newsletters.

Edited by BER on 10/29/2013 09:30:25 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: MLife on 10/29/2013 09:29:57 MDT Print View

"I am an MLifer and received no such survey invitation. Come to think of it, I never receive any newsletter or other communication from BPL (other than watched thread notifications)."

Not sure why you didn't get the email (did you check your junk mail folder?), but the newsletter is an option in My Account. You have to 'turn it on.'

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Doug on 10/29/2013 09:42:06 MDT Print View

Not in the junk folder and my account preference for the newsletter is (and has been) on.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Doug on 10/29/2013 09:53:12 MDT Print View

"Not in the junk folder and my account preference for the newsletter is (and has been) on."

Have you considered the possibility that you don't exist?

:)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Doug on 10/29/2013 09:56:35 MDT Print View

LOL

Nick is on a roll!

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/29/2013 10:14:35 MDT.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 10:47:03 MDT Print View

Unhappy?

complaints

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Doug on 10/29/2013 10:52:39 MDT Print View

"Not in the junk folder and my account preference for the newsletter is (and has been) on."

I'm out of ideas.....

I've had my newsletter turned off for a long time, I assumed others might as well. Perhaps something to submit to the new support system?

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 10:54:51 MDT Print View

+1 zero return on investment.

Ryan has been coasting on reputation for years, while establishing a new reputation as someone that can't follow through. It is time to put BPL up for sale. It really needs someone with more time, less family, and more passion to reinvigorate the BPL brand. The Gossamer gear newsletter is more exciting and fresher than the content here.

I am not convinced that closing the store has led to the generation of better content. Also, the focus on WTS, has brought little to no benefit to the BPL community at large.

MLifers funding a leveraged buyout to put BPL under Ryan control has not led to any noticeable improvements in the last 5 years.

Instead of engaging the people who wanted to volunteer to make the site better, Ryan snubbed the MLIFE strategic planning and brought in a "pro". So far, the pro has introduced ads in various ways.

I think the idea at this point is to suck as much ad revenue as the site can generate, coasting on old content driving visitors through search engines.

Edited by redmonk on 10/29/2013 11:12:26 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 11:01:31 MDT Print View

It is one of the reasons that I am only an F now. A really annoying F, but an F all the same.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

DO I exist? on 10/29/2013 11:24:08 MDT Print View

"Have you considered the possibility that you don't exist?"

This is certainly a possibility. I guess that any complaints I might have in regards to BPL are equally nonexistent. I will go back and crawl under my imaginary rock. At least I can amuse myself with the nonexistent improvements at BPL.

:)

Edited by BER on 10/29/2013 11:25:52 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 11:34:48 MDT Print View

"It is time to put BPL up for sale"

Or maybe member owned

Sort of like the Green Bay Packers

But that's up to Ryan...

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 11:53:44 MDT Print View

I voted yes to both questions, and left the following message in one of the textfields, in the rare chance RJ is actually going to read any of this.

I have answered yes to both of these, however I would like to share on my thoughts.

I make my living from subscription based internet services. While I am in support of BMG generating revenue via third party advertisements, I personally believe that *all* paying members of a web-based service should have the *option* to turn off advertisements.

IF somebody is willing to come forward and say "yep, here are a few bucks a month/year/whatever" they should have the right to turn off advertisement - and we as Service Providers (because that is what you and I are, in owning website like this) should be respectful of those individuals willing to support us, by giving them all the ability to turn off advertisements.

This whole MLIFE only gets to turn off advertisements I am just not a fan of. I am a MLIFE member, but I still think all financially supporting members of BMG/BPL should have the option to turn off advertisements. Turn them on by default, but let *all* those who pay have the option to turn them off.

+John Abela

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 12:40:18 MDT Print View

Nick says "Lets give him some slack"

I think we've paid out enough rope already. Who's going to cut him down? He's left us swinging.

Some are tired of my comments. I appreciate the opportunity to leave comments on the survey. I'm willing to discuss any comments I have made now, in the past and in the future with anyone.

I just cannot stand anyone behaving as Ryan has. Sorry.

Edited by kthompson on 10/29/2013 13:50:35 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 13:51:24 MDT Print View

"I think we've paid out enough rope already. Who's going to cut him down? He's left us swinging."

Has he? I have posted repeatedly that I purchased a M-Life with the obvious fact that BPL was strapped for cash.

My motivation for shelling out the money was my enjoyment of the forums and an occasional article.

I also weighed the realistic probability that BPL could fold, and was willing to lose my investment. I don't feel I was left swinging, because there wasn't a lot of value in BPL other than the forums.

Caveat emptor if anyone feels they did not get what they paid for.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 14:33:22 MDT Print View

"My motivation for shelling out the money was my enjoyment of the forums and an occasional article."

This is kind of where I am at with BPL. I'm up for renewal next month and plan on renewing as a life member. Articles have been hit and miss but I enjoy these forums and realize that it costs money and time to run them.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 15:31:36 MDT Print View

I like this last post by him...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66311&skip_to_post=570076#570076

The specified forum thread no longer exists or never existed.

Fantastically Orwellian :).

I thought that the concept of asking members for a one off contribution to BPL, as a way of raising capital, was a good one. I even suggested it in a couple of threads. However, it looks like MLIFERs got little in return and the money raised wasn't used to upgrade the site and improve the user experience.

I still get value from BPL and will continue to be a member, despite some frustrations. I don't expect things to change much.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 16:50:19 MDT Print View

it must be chaff Ian : )

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 16:58:56 MDT Print View

Jason, that post (and the forum it's in) is accessible to MLifers only. Does seem like a bizarre message, but that's why you can't see it! Of course something like "this forum is accessible only to MLife members" would be far better, but that probably isn't programmed into the primitive forum software.

Edited by hikinggranny on 10/29/2013 17:02:58 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 17:12:15 MDT Print View

OK so how much slack do we agree to give and for how long?

15 months without an update does feel to me like being left out to dry. It's great that we still have the forums to discuss our differences in what we think is acceptable and ethical behavior. Everyone here has a valuable opinion. Just like in all areas of life we won't all agree. I had a few PM's disagreeing with me. I've had way more that agree with what I've said. I'm willing to discuss any point that I bring up.

Ken's Morals and Ethics™ Have gotten me into hot water plenty. I sleep well at night.

I'm frustrated and disappointed.

Thanks again Curtis for sharing your included survey comments.

I went back and added in the text from that link that only MLifers could see.

Edited by kthompson on 10/29/2013 17:18:12 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 18:19:10 MDT Print View

"OK so how much slack do we agree to give and for how long?"

Maybe we should just let Ryan move forward. Obviously there is movement on the administrative side of my screen -- perhaps not enough for some folks here.

I guess at the end of the day we have to recognize that Ryan owns this site, not us. We can b*tch and moan, but that doesn't get anything accomplished.

Posting solutions help, as some folks have been doing for a while. Perhaps Ryan now has some time to catch up and use the good ideas that appeal to him.

If we all stay positive it will probably become contagious :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 18:36:49 MDT Print View

I'm all for forward motion. The initial shove is the hard part. So it seems maybe, just maybe that it will roll on it's own.

I hate being a cynic. But it has been so easy to be one. I would love to be wrong here. Time will tell.

Group hug.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 18:38:35 MDT Print View

Ken,

I think there are more pressing problems for all of us, such as what pencil you will be bringing on your next trip.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 18:51:41 MDT Print View

I use a pen.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 18:57:43 MDT Print View

What kind?
How much does it weight?
What do you use for paper?
What do you like about your pen? Dislike?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/29/2013 19:01:30 MDT Print View

what about a lack of drinking water in Africa?

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/31/2013 17:08:04 MDT Print View

I have not read all the comments here and I have never received any emails that were addressed to MLifers.

Anyway, I think that it is great and about time that they had some form of revenue generation.

The biggest thing that BPL has going is probably the sheer volume of traffic to the forums.

Might as well get some money from putting up ads.

They seem to be tastefully done and discrete.

I don't see pop ups, which would piss me off.

Does not bother me that I can see them as a MLife member.

Blocking the ads for MLife members just seems an unnecessary expense in labor on their part.

As MLifer's who is going to be pissed enough to quite coming here?

By the fact that we are Mlife's....we are basically sold and done.

BPL isn't going to get any membership money out of us anymore and we are saying we are committed to visiting BPL no matter what.

MLifer's area dead source of revenue....business-wise, does not make sense to spend money/resources on us.

Not saying that we should be taken for granite and our concerns to be ignored, but I think you see the point....no more money coming from us to BPL.

As always, looking forward to see where BPL goes and hope that it gets better.

Tony

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/31/2013 17:21:38 MDT Print View

"Not saying that we should be taken for granite and our concerns to be ignored"

That's a pretty rocky subject.

--B.G.--

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 10/31/2013 17:48:41 MDT Print View

> MLifer's area dead source of revenue....business-wise, does not make sense to spend
> money/resources on us.
Hum ... an interesting perspective.
Of course, if you shut down all MLife specials, that makes becoming an MLife unattractive.
Maybe it is not quite that simple.

Cheers

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

LOL on 10/31/2013 17:53:45 MDT Print View

Oh yes, Don't forget about the numerous MLIFE SPECIALS !!!!!!!!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: MLife Blue Light Specials on 10/31/2013 19:44:03 MDT Print View

Pre-Enrollment Guarantees for Wilderness Trekking School Courses (additional fees involved for courses)

Cost savings over time with protection from subscription price increases

Free access to the 26-Episode "Ultralight A-Z" Video Series in HD

Participation in Backpacking Light's strategic planning process

Access to lifetime Members-only forum for the discussion of overall Backpacking Light business strategy

Invitations to participate in periodic strategic planning surveys

Subscription to Ryan Jordan's "MLIFE NEWS" email newsletter, providing updates and changes to BPL's long term strategic plan.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: MLife Blue Light Specials on 11/01/2013 12:22:02 MDT Print View

Ken & Roger,

I stand corrected....my error!

I did not realize that there were benefits provided to MLifers.

I don't seem to be on the mailing list for the MLife special offers.

That said, I am still happy with my MLife membership.....but I really don't expect to get any specials.

Saving money on annual memberships is enough for me.

Then again, I am a pretty easy guy to please....considering that in my off time I like to be homeless in the mountains, sleeping in the dirt, and having a hot cup of water at night is considered my luxury.

Tony

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: MLife Blue Light Specials on 11/01/2013 14:26:40 MDT Print View

Pretty quick action on the survey - which I assume came out in favor of ads for all. Or am I the only MLIFER now seeing ads when signed in?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: MLife Blue Light Specials on 11/01/2013 14:32:47 MDT Print View

Ah, just got the email about the survey and the inclusion of ads for MLIFERs.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Re: Re: MLife Blue Light Specials on 11/01/2013 14:35:01 MDT Print View

No, you're not. I started seeing them today, too.
Edited to add: And just received an email about it from BPL. 70% vote in favour of a 90-day trial period with ads.
And edited again to add: Seems my post became redundant in the time it took me to type it.

Edited by WilliamC3 on 11/01/2013 14:39:35 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: MLife Blue Light Specials on 11/01/2013 14:49:18 MDT Print View

"Pretty quick action on the survey"

Yeah. Amazing isn't it, especially in comparison to the attention given(not) to some of the other software/customer service issues that have languished for years.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

toggle ads (BETA) on 11/01/2013 14:55:21 MDT Print View

toggl

toggleads

Edited by redmonk on 11/01/2013 14:59:54 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: MLife Blue Light Specials on 11/01/2013 15:16:24 MDT Print View

Money. The Great Motivator.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: toggle ads (BETA) on 11/01/2013 15:20:17 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 12/19/2013 21:47:01 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
comedy. on 11/01/2013 15:23:02 MDT Print View

"Free access to the 26-Episode "Ultralight A-Z" Video Series in HD.
Participation in Backpacking Light's strategic planning process.
Access to lifetime Members-only forum for the discussion of overall Backpacking Light business strategy.
Invitations to participate in periodic strategic planning surveys.
Subscription to Ryan Jordan's "MLIFE NEWS" email newsletter, providing updates and changes to BPL's long term strategic plan."

The jokes write themselves.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: toggle ads (BETA) on 11/01/2013 15:40:27 MDT Print View

Interesting. The option hasn't shown up in my drop down menu yet. I imagine it will by tomorrow.

Edit: Ah, the change must have happened while I was logged in. I logged out and back in, and now it's there. So if you don't see the option, log out and then back in. Should be there.

Edited by idester on 11/01/2013 15:41:32 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/01/2013 16:10:42 MDT Print View

RJ, if you are out there (or whoever your developer is) there is a rather annoying issue with regards to viewing BPL on a mobile device due to the failure of the html to detect browser width and output a specific sized advertisement for those on mobile devices.

ads_mobile

This can be resolved a number of ways, but here is a very easy manner in which to resolve this matter for the vast majority of mobile devices.

+John Abela
HikeLighter.Com
facebook.com/hikelighter
@hikelighter

Edited by JohnAbela on 11/01/2013 16:11:14 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/01/2013 16:54:18 MDT Print View

I'm glad you Mlifers no longer have to miss the ads. So much stuff I needed!
They also add a real touch of class and professionalism to the site's aesthetics.

I've already bought this guy's sunglasses.

This add saved me fifty dollars today.

This one inspired me to pick up some new thigh straps for my Glock holster and a pair of kevlar gloves.

Enjoy!!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/01/2013 17:06:45 MDT Print View

Thanks Craig. I've been wondering what I've been missing.

Between my virus-filter/security-package and my ad blocker I haven't seen a single ad.

They are quite interesting.
I may have to "allow" just for the entertainment value.

...and I may have finally found my avatar -

Edited by greg23 on 11/01/2013 18:11:40 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/01/2013 18:48:01 MDT Print View

For those of you who don't want to see the ads why not run a free ad block program? They work great. I haven't seen an ad yet.

Unless you need something to complain about.

So simple.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/01/2013 19:54:24 MDT Print View

Adblock that mess and be done with it.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/01/2013 20:32:14 MDT Print View

Greg at this point your avatar is part of BPL. They should get rid of that feather mtn mess (or elephant lol) and use your avatar for the logo.

I love that quote

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Sigh on 11/01/2013 20:40:35 MDT Print View

I read bpl. 90% of the time on my phone. I can't get the damn ads hidden in here. This is annoying.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Adds on 11/01/2013 22:36:06 MDT Print View

Yes, similar to the post above, I use my iPad to access BPL 90% of the time! and though I logged out and logged back in and hit the HIDE ADS on the pull down...they're still there.

And I still don't get any mLife emails.
In one respect I feel cheated by the whole mLife scam and promises broken by Mr. Jordan.
On the other hand, I feel relieved that I will never have to give him more money...until he changes that too...

Edited by BER on 11/01/2013 22:39:25 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
ads on 11/01/2013 23:23:22 MDT Print View

Fight the system.

https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Adblock on 11/02/2013 08:19:43 MDT Print View

Doesnt help me with an iPad

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Adblock on 11/02/2013 08:45:48 MDT Print View

"Doesnt help me with an iPad"

Sure it does. There's an Adblock for iOS on the app store. I just downloaded it and installed it on my iPhone 5, seems to work just fine.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 09:22:38 MDT Print View

Not sure this qualifies as lightweight, but here's an ad served to me this morning. Talk about a wake up call....

.ad

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 10:44:05 MDT Print View

Doug, are you feeling your age?

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 11:09:31 MDT Print View

"we dont want young men, we want you" LOL

Ahh its gonna be a good day

Definitely NOT UL... sheesh... heeey, Ladies. Can I fit a bear can in there vertically?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 11:17:18 MDT Print View

Bear can suddenly has a new meaning,

Without us actually seeing the the survey results we have to hope that we are being told the truth.

I wonder how many said yes because they run ad block and this is a non issue for them, like me.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 11:33:56 MDT Print View

You didn't get a copy of the survey results with your BPL financial update ?
You might want to ask an expert, or raise the issue at the annual strategic planning meeting. As a life member, you get free domestic shipping, maybe you need to order it from the store. You should get early access, and a discount on pre-ordering the survey results. In the meantime, look forward to the annual report and interim strategic planning updates. Have you completed the WTS class on completing your MLIFER benefits enrollment ? Its only $499.99 plus the flight and hotel. Its an essential part of getting access to all MLIFE has to offer.

-----

About the Lifetime Membership

In response to feedback from our membership, we now offer a Lifetime Membership option (with a special upgrade price for existing Members).

Lifetime Members have the opportunity to take an active role in providing strategic feedback to BackpackingLight.com and its long-term philosophical and business direction.

In addition, Lifetime Members receive exclusive benefits in response to their long-term commitment to Backpacking Light and its mission (see below for details).
Features:
Subscriber Benefits

Access to Members-only content at BackpackingLight.com
Member discounts on goods and services offered by Backpacking Light
Subscription to the Members-only email newsletter
Advance notice of new product availability
Access to Members-only forum for the discussion of issues unique to Backpacking Light membership

Additional Benefits for LIFETIME Members

Access to an "ask-the-expert" forum moderated by Backpacking Light staff and athletes (in development)
Cost savings over time with protection from subscription price increases
Invitation to BackpackingLight.com's periodic "friends and employees" sales
Free ground domestic shipping for LIFE for all pre-purchases of new products
Participation in Backpacking Light's strategic planning process
Access to lifetime Members-only forum for the discussion of overall Backpacking Light business strategy
Invitation to participate in Backpacking Light's annual strategic planning meeting in Montana
Receive Backpacking Light's annual report and interim strategic planning

Specifications:
Weight = 0.00 oz (0.00 g)

Edited by redmonk on 11/02/2013 11:39:04 MDT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Adblock on 11/02/2013 11:48:40 MDT Print View

The ads are gone....

Thanks everyone!

I had no idea this even existed.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Adblock on 11/02/2013 11:57:50 MDT Print View

Not for those who use a different OS with which Firefox is not compatible with. Well on the bright side, some of the adds are amusing.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: Adblock on 11/02/2013 12:28:16 MDT Print View

The adblock link defaulted to firefox when I went to the website because I'm running firefox. To the right of the "install for firefox" button there are a few small icons for other browsers.

or try using this link instead:
https://adblockplus.org/en/

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 14:21:24 MDT Print View

1Doug,

I recognize at least two of those ladies as accomplished thru-hikers. I followed the blonde's blog as she hiked the CDT. Her blog profile states that her "likes" include Japanese single malt. You might consider chatting with them as see if they will join us at the GGG.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 11/02/2013 14:22:27 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 14:31:04 MDT Print View

I can see the Tabloid Headlines now --

"Urban BPL Hikers Stalked by Cougars"

Edited by greg23 on 11/02/2013 14:35:02 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Survey for advertising to be seen by MLifers on 11/02/2013 18:06:13 MDT Print View

"Her blog profile states that her "likes" include Japanese single malt."

You made me laugh out loud! Thanks David!

Gotta get me some of that Yamazaki. Haven't had any in a bit.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Re: Adblock on 11/02/2013 18:11:01 MDT Print View

Thanks Justin for the tip.