A home away home, a search for a new car camping tent
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Car camping on 10/27/2013 09:39:41 MDT Print View

Great Photo Desert Dweller :-)

Hi Ber,

The Kaitum 3 is great tent, probably the best I have ever owned.
I looked at the Cloudburst 3 but the lack of a separate inner put me off.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Car camping tent on 10/27/2013 10:08:14 MDT Print View

As I was reading through the posts, it struck me that one of the big center pole UL tents could do double duty as hiking and car camping shelter. Something like a Shangrila 5 would be fun to have in a lot of places. If you wanted to go that direction, one of the big tipi style tents with a wood stove option would really be like having a portable cabin.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Car Camping on 10/27/2013 10:19:09 MDT Print View

Hey Stephen,

Dont let the lack of inner put you off from the CB3. At least for warmer temperatures it worked out really well. Perhaps in colder temperatures if might not have the same level of insulation as the Katitum3. But the CB3 buttons down pretty tight when needed. Ventilation is excellent, but again when closed up, is not overtly drafty.

I agree with Dale's comment. The Nemo Pentalite 4 falls into this catagory.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Car camping tent on 10/27/2013 10:32:27 MDT Print View

Hi Dale,

I am not looking for a new tent at all, I was just telling folk about my search for one in the past and what I got :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Car Camping on 10/27/2013 10:35:58 MDT Print View

Hi Ber,

Its not about insulation that put me off, its just I prefer that have a separate inner so I can use the outer by itself of no bugs around, its also easier to dry the tent.

The Sl5 would make a good car camping tent, we have an Sl3 for when we are out for just one night.