Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents?
Display Avatars Sort By:
greg c
(spindrifter) - F
Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 10:16:09 MDT Print View

Just was looking at the Tarptent offerings and realized their tents don't come sealed (unless you want to pay extra). Anyone know the reason for that? I suppose I'll factor that headache (literally and figuratively) into the cost when making comparisons with other manufacturers.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 10:26:40 MDT Print View

No Cottage company seals seams as standard that i know of.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Why doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal their tents? on 10/24/2013 10:30:41 MDT Print View

I just got a Squall 2 and paid for them to seam seal it for me. I think it is money well spent! It is done professionally and you do not have to worry if it is going to leak. I have tried to seam seal in the past but I always apply to much and it does not look that good. $$ well spent IMO!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 10:40:01 MDT Print View

Greg, seamsealing is really easy. Not to mention, it really doesn't smell so the headache is optional ; )

Tarptent will do it as will Six Moon Designs for a small fee but the Shires method where you apply with a small foam brush is really quite simple.

greg c
(spindrifter) - F
Tarptent Doesn't Seam Seal Their Tents on 10/24/2013 10:46:44 MDT Print View

Good points all. I used to do it back in the day but got spoiled in recent years by it being part of the standard package. I guess it is a deliberate choice by the manufacturer to minimize cost and pass that on to folks willing to do it themselves. Just wondering. Thanks for the replies.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Tarptent Doesn't Seam Seal Their Tents on 10/24/2013 11:30:53 MDT Print View

I got professional results sealing my Squall 9 years back or whenever. The foam brush does a great job.
Duane

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Seam Sealing = Tedious on 10/24/2013 11:30:54 MDT Print View

I still haven't seam sealed my MLD eVent mittens... that should take me all of 10 minutes but I haven't done it...

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 11:36:46 MDT Print View

"No Cottage company seals seams as standard that i know of."

Lightheart seals their cuben tents but charges extra for their sil-nylon versions.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 11:40:22 MDT Print View

I never seal seams and have never had a leak - but my seams are on fairly steep walls of pyramid

I sew a little velcro tab to keep door open and water occasionally drips through there so I seal that.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Seam Sealing = Tedious on 10/24/2013 12:15:33 MDT Print View

Aren't the MLD event mitts taped? I have a couple of pairs but haven't looked at them recently and so forget.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Seam sealing on 10/24/2013 13:20:07 MDT Print View

I know that Stephenson's also charges extra for seam sealing, and Bibler didn't do it when it was independent. I simply assumed that it wasn't practical to do it and that the manufacturer didn't want to have sealer smeared on the tent or rainfly. Perhaps from my starting out with Biblers decades ago, I've always considered seam sealing the owner's responsibility. It's certainly easy enough to do.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 13:25:53 MDT Print View

It's a good question but the simple answer is that there is no machine capable of seam-taping siliconized ripstop nylon. If it were machinable we would/could do it but it isn't and we just have way too much production and nowhere near enough space or reliable weather to hand paint them all outside. For those of you who don't know, we have started offering a $5 seam-sealing kit which makes the job pretty easy and straightforward. The premix silicone goes on easily with the included foam brush and eliminates all the hassle of otherwise mixing up silicone with paint thinner.

-H

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 14:02:26 MDT Print View

I have used this pre-mix from Tarptent and the brush and it works brilliantly. I did a Notch in about 15 minutes. And that is because I am anal.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 14:07:27 MDT Print View

A TT Squall was easy using the brush, my BD Hilight using different product, about had my hands killed off by the time I finished the seams. An hour job at least.
Duane

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 14:36:52 MDT Print View

Tarptent seam sealing video: http://d22u3mtwtxpk6b.cloudfront.net/video/seamseal.mp4

Not the prettiest method, but certainly quick and it seems (no pun) that the thinned silicone mix would get down into the thread holes, which is jst where you want it. I was surprised at the proportions of sealer and thinner.

I once bought a used tent that someone else seam sealed. It was like a surgical job, with a thin line on the threads and where the fabric was folded. The only way I cam imagine it was done was to load sealer into a syringe. It must have taken hours and a steady hand.

A few days ago, I did the top seam on my Borahgami tarp using Silnet straight from the tube and the brush provided, putting on enough to get it to flow over the thread lines and the actual fabric seam fold. It's about as good as I have been able to do with the stuff as provided. I love to paint and varnish, but glue-y stuff like this has always vexed me.

Silnet seam using a brush

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 15:29:05 MDT Print View

I use a syringe because that is how I learned to do the Bibler and Black Diamond tents with.
I tried other ways but just prefer to use a syringe.
This is one of my seams :
Seam Sealed Seam
Takes me 40 to 60 minutes to do a shelter that way, but of course it also needs to remain set up for 10 to 24 hours depending on temperature and humidity levels.
The $5 kit Henry was talking about is this :
Seam Sealing kit

Just to elaborate a bit about seam sealing silnylon , some manufacturers choose to add PU to the underside so that they can machine tape theirs, however that weakens considerably the tear strength of the fabric.
Others , like most of the "cottage" industry but also brands like Terra Nova and Macpac choose to keep the original tear strenghth and get you to seam seal it .
BTW, Henry's way (paint on , let it sink and wipe) is even less visible than mine...)

Logistics
My old lawn could handle 4 tents, the new one only 3 :
Old lawn
New lawn
(Australia is only about 5% of the TT market)

Edited by Franco on 10/24/2013 15:36:27 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 15:57:21 MDT Print View

If I use a syringe to do it, I can get the sealer to go down into the needle holes. For some seam types, this gets the job done with the least quantity and weight of sealer. For other seam types, the sealer needs to be painted over all of the stitching, so that requires much more sealer and makes the finished product a lot stiffer, although it takes less skill and less time.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 17:03:49 MDT Print View

Good Grief!

I post something about seam sealing a tent, and then this banner ad pops up about Asphalt Sealing.

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Why Doesn't Tarptent Seam Seal Their Tents? on 10/24/2013 17:07:10 MDT Print View

what do the neighbors think, homeless camp?

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
TT sealing on 10/24/2013 17:12:00 MDT Print View

Probably why Franco had to move.