Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Iceland Lake Route/Emigrant Wilderness
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Iceland Lake Route/Emigrant Wilderness on 10/23/2013 19:02:35 MDT Print View

Any friends been to Iceland Lake this Summer? I think I need to XC via Relief Creek and then up and explore. Thanks for any insight! I am leaving early Friday morning and coming back late Saturday afternoon if any one has interest. PM Me Thanks

Granite Dome

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Iceland Lake Route/Emigrant Wilderness on 10/23/2013 19:23:58 MDT Print View

I am thinking about a last minute trip this weekend and I would join you but I have to work Friday.

It's a nice spot if this will be your first time up there. My Wilderness Press Map shows a trail up to Iceland Lake from the north (near Lower Relief Valley) I don't recommend it. I tried to descend that way and had to turn around. I think someone slipped on that route a just few years ago and died. Coming from the east (just south of Saucer Meadow) its fairly straight forward. I found the topographic naturally funneled me towards the pass.

As I was writing this a Thievery song just came on my playlist. Strange coincidence. Have a great trip Jay.

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Iceland lake on 10/23/2013 19:25:14 MDT Print View

Yep--we did that trip this summer, past Relief Reservoir, then up Summit Creek and up the slabs from there. Pretty straightforward navigating, all in all.

WE have photos and a trip report on our website:

Backpackthesierra.com

Or just drop me a note for more info.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Iceland Lake Route/ Emigrant Wilderness on 10/23/2013 20:02:29 MDT Print View

David & Paul, Thanks for the insight. My last trip in to Emigrant/July- I came down from Brown Bear Pass and was checking out the slabs above Saucer Meadow and dreamed a little about Iceland Lake. That does seem like a better route! I wish you could come David but I have family get together in San Fran on Sunday and is why I am leaving Saturday afternoon. The "Boss" said I could not be late to this event on Sunday. Hope to see you two at the GGG in Henry Coe.

Thanks,
Jay Wilkerson

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
From Lower Relief Valley on 10/25/2013 10:45:30 MDT Print View

Too late for your trip this weekend, but here's my $.02...

I was up there back in August and went up from Lower Relief Valley. This was based on the theory that it was more direct as I started from across the valley at the end of a FS road (Silver Creek Mine?). I don't much like the climb from Kennedy Meadows.

I went up the Ridge Lk outlet creek. There's a bit of a use trail on the left side of this creek, heading uphill. Best is to stay on that side of the creek all the way up, I think. Required a modest amount of route finding in a couple of spots.

Schiffrin shows the route further east, below Iceland Lk. But that looked harder to me.

There was a good write up on routes to all the lakes up there on High Sierra Topix site.