How to diss in BPL and general forum linguistics
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
How to diss in BPL and general forum linguistics on 10/23/2013 17:09:31 MDT Print View

Well it hasn't been quite a year since I've paid $25 for membership and I feel I've harassed you good people enough to make it worth the investment.

Although, as a born misfit, I always feel like the Crocodile Hunter (undead version maybe) on safari when I find myself mingling in polite society (virtual or otherwise). “Aye crikey, there’s annuder thread about to get thrown on the Barbie!”

I've slowly learned some of the lingo +1 FWIW HYOH YMMV et al and now feel that I can hold my own in a conversation with your average hipster.

I've identified the two major battle cries which seem to be symptomatic of a conversation gone bad, which with this crowd is saying a lot.

1. Moderator! Please move this to Chaff!
2. You are on my "Do not hike with" list!

Still a journeyman and on a lifelong journey of learning, what others do I need to learn to become fully integrated in BPL society?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
How to diss in BPL and general forum linguistics on 10/23/2013 17:37:54 MDT Print View

You can invalidate an entire discussion with the dismissive waving of a hand and one simple, dreaded statement:

Sources please.

You have now started a citation war.

You will likely win. When called out for sources, most people will back down out of sheer terror, even if they have valid sources, because they have real lives they must attend to. These suckers thought they were merely shooting the shit (so to speak) on the internet and do not want to waste time recreating a master's thesis bibliography to meet the challenge of a cyber stranger- who may look like this:

1You bet your ass, he's got more time for a source war than you do.

Easy win.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: How to diss in BPL and general forum linguistics on 10/23/2013 17:44:17 MDT Print View

"You bet your ass, he's got more time for a source war than you do."

Depends on your Chaff to Hiking ratio. ;0)