November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Backcountry chairs
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Walton

Locale: south
Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 16:21:09 MDT Print View

Anyone ever seen this one before? I have seen variations on this theme but this thing is only 10 oz. What do you all think?

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 16:31:28 MDT Print View

Yes, that design has been around for a while... Personally, I wouldn't consider it (and I own SEVERAL different backcountry chairs) because it seems to have the worst of all worlds. You're basically sitting/lying on the floor with no padding (just a a strip of nylon under you) and the back is so low, that you can't really "sit".

Unlike many other backcountry chairs, you couldn't operate a stove while sitting in it (not without doing gymnastics), you're not off the (damp) ground, etc..

I think I'd rather just sit on my ground cloth and lean back on my pack (0 added ounces!), which would be just a tad more comfortable than this chair.

Of course, I really can't speak to its use as a sniper support...Rifle support

Abraham Schlossberg
(ernda) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
wet ground? on 10/23/2013 16:31:54 MDT Print View

My only problem is that a layer of only nylon would get pretty soaked on wet ground and may not be comfortable.

Steve Martell
(Steve) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Washington
RE: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 17:09:16 MDT Print View

I have the Kifaru chair--and a homemade version that weighs a little over 6 oz. The homemade version is one of my favorite luxury items to carry. The trick for making it comfortable is to use a folded Z-rest sleeping pad against the back and a smaller pad (Z-seat, etc) to sit on. Since I'm using a short Z-rest and a Z-seat anyway (as part of my sleeping setup) the only extra I'm carrying is the 6oz chair.

Note: Kifaru doesn't market this chair very well IMHO--their photo's only show the support legs in a low (short) position-- they actually adjust much longer. The one I made uses flat/fixed length stays that have a pivoting rivet inserted. This makes it more stable in use.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: RE: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 19:20:47 MDT Print View

When I go ultralight luxury I bring this chair The REI flex lite without the case weights 1lb 9oz. An awsome addition if you are spending a lot of camp time.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
BC Chairs on 10/23/2013 20:14:18 MDT Print View

Depending on your weight the Grand Trunk micro stool is very nice.
With some adjustments mine weighs 9oz on the nose.
Great for setting under a tarp in the rain, cooking a meal or on lunch layovers.
Anyway my .02

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Ultralight on 10/23/2013 20:58:00 MDT Print View

The ground is free.

Barring that, I love my Thermarest Z-Lite seat. I use it while sleeping too.

James Couch

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Re: Ultralight on 10/23/2013 22:21:07 MDT Print View

Logs, rocks, my pack. Never saw the need for a stool or chair backpacking.

Snow melting duties in the N. Cascades:

Dinner time in the N. Cascades:

Edited by JBC on 10/23/2013 22:22:20 MDT.

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: All up in there
Re: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 22:27:06 MDT Print View

A hammock. Can sleep in it also. Works great when in treed areas.

Google Jerry chair for a twist on the Kifaru. Uses trekking poles as support.