Backcountry chairs
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Walton
(Backcountryasm) - M

Locale: south
Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 16:21:09 MDT Print View

Anyone ever seen this one before? I have seen variations on this theme but this thing is only 10 oz. What do you all think?

http://store.kifaru.net/field-chair-p27.aspx

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 16:31:28 MDT Print View

Yes, that design has been around for a while... Personally, I wouldn't consider it (and I own SEVERAL different backcountry chairs) because it seems to have the worst of all worlds. You're basically sitting/lying on the floor with no padding (just a a strip of nylon under you) and the back is so low, that you can't really "sit".

Unlike many other backcountry chairs, you couldn't operate a stove while sitting in it (not without doing gymnastics), you're not off the (damp) ground, etc..

I think I'd rather just sit on my ground cloth and lean back on my pack (0 added ounces!), which would be just a tad more comfortable than this chair.

Of course, I really can't speak to its use as a sniper support...Rifle support

Abraham Schlossberg
(ernda) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
wet ground? on 10/23/2013 16:31:54 MDT Print View

My only problem is that a layer of only nylon would get pretty soaked on wet ground and may not be comfortable.

Steve Martell
(Steve) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Washington
RE: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 17:09:16 MDT Print View

I have the Kifaru chair--and a homemade version that weighs a little over 6 oz. The homemade version is one of my favorite luxury items to carry. The trick for making it comfortable is to use a folded Z-rest sleeping pad against the back and a smaller pad (Z-seat, etc) to sit on. Since I'm using a short Z-rest and a Z-seat anyway (as part of my sleeping setup) the only extra I'm carrying is the 6oz chair.

Note: Kifaru doesn't market this chair very well IMHO--their photo's only show the support legs in a low (short) position-- they actually adjust much longer. The one I made uses flat/fixed length stays that have a pivoting rivet inserted. This makes it more stable in use.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: RE: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 19:20:47 MDT Print View

When I go ultralight luxury I bring this chair http://www.rei.com/product/829239/. The REI flex lite without the case weights 1lb 9oz. An awsome addition if you are spending a lot of camp time.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
BC Chairs on 10/23/2013 20:14:18 MDT Print View

Depending on your weight the Grand Trunk micro stool is very nice.
With some adjustments mine weighs 9oz on the nose.
Great for setting under a tarp in the rain, cooking a meal or on lunch layovers.
Anyway my .02

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Ultralight on 10/23/2013 20:58:00 MDT Print View

The ground is free.

Barring that, I love my Thermarest Z-Lite seat. I use it while sleeping too.

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Re: Ultralight on 10/23/2013 22:21:07 MDT Print View

Logs, rocks, my pack. Never saw the need for a stool or chair backpacking.

Snow melting duties in the N. Cascades:

Dinner time in the N. Cascades:

Edited by JBC on 10/23/2013 22:22:20 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Backcountry chairs on 10/23/2013 22:27:06 MDT Print View

A hammock. Can sleep in it also. Works great when in treed areas.

Google Jerry chair for a twist on the Kifaru. Uses trekking poles as support.