Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Kinsman pullover w/mod

Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Show me... on 06/29/2007 08:28:50 MDT Print View

Not unless that kangaroo pocket on the Rab weighs half the weight of the entire jacket.

Next...

Joe Federici
(need2boat) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Show me... on 06/29/2007 08:51:39 MDT Print View

On mine the the weight is about the same as the lower front piece. Your just putting one (with hand cut outs) infront of the other. I made a test one and just weighted it at 0.8 oz.

Your also using 1/2 the insulation in each piece so it ends up just slightly thicker then when put together.

JFF

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Jackets, apples and oranges. on 06/29/2007 18:38:46 MDT Print View

Kevin,

I would agree that it's probably not a good idea to compress any insulation to it's minimum volume. I use the Golite large stuff sack. Both my Delta quilt and PL Sport bag compress about as easily into it with a slight edge to the bag. The quilt is 48" wide while the bag is 60".

Drape: I think that if you compared apples to apples you would find that PL easily wins the drape contest.

Durability: The durability of both insulations has been called into question from various quarters. But I find this this post by Richard Nisley on 4/21/07 to be very interesting:

"Primaloft Sport (aka as version 2) and not Primaloft One is design optimized for loft durability in sleeping bags.

When the current generation of synthetic insulations were tested for use in the Mar's destination space suits, they noted that Primaloft Sport had the best loft durability of existing and prototype synthetics. See Mars Space Suit"

You can find the link provided by Richard in his post on 4/21/07 under the heading " Re: ?Primaloft durability question?"

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Re: Insulation debate on 06/29/2007 19:27:36 MDT Print View

Bill,

I think that the PL Sport 1.8 that is sold by thru-hiker is being compared to Delta 2.0 in the above referenced post. Is it your experience that PL Sport 1.8 cannot be used in a jacket in the way that Joe did with his PL Sport 3.0?

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Insulation debate on 06/29/2007 20:06:30 MDT Print View

The only way any of you are going to be happy is if you figure out a way to test the different types of insulations and decide for yourself.

I have achieved all but one of my SUL gear objective The only one left is a external pack frame with a real venting ability. That is about finished.

I have packed up all my notebooks and materials and have moved on to other things.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Re: Insulation debate on 06/29/2007 20:43:27 MDT Print View

>>I have achieved all but one of my SUL gear objective The only one left is a external pack frame with a real venting ability. That is about finished.

That sounds very interesting. I'll be looking forward to your post.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Where's Consumer Reports when you need them... on 06/29/2007 21:02:31 MDT Print View

I'm sorta with Bill. Old Berber saying---the dogs may bark but the caravan moves on. I'm moving on to the weekend---time to light out for the territory.

I'm going to...as Dead Kennedys rocker Jello Biafra would say..."shut up and dance". :-D

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Insulation debate on 06/30/2007 00:09:54 MDT Print View

Yeah,
Bill keeps pulling Pertex Quantum out of his a** like it's no big deal.
The rest of what Bill is discussing has been sold before so he spends a years saving on them on a whim that they will not be around for very long.
He gets ideas from a little fabric Alien that visits him to give him ideas to make things that weigh 1/2 as much as that SUL piece of gear weighs.

I think Bill's skin is made of velcro with several loop holds for hook and loop. He just dumps some down on hime then lays a 1/2 ounce piece of cuben over that and it keeps him warm down to -40. Then he just gets up and hikes around in it all day.

Edited by awsorensen on 06/30/2007 00:12:53 MDT.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Kinsman pullover w/mod on 06/30/2007 01:18:44 MDT Print View

Hey Joe,

You've really sparked a debate here! But I just wanted to say, beautiful jacket! You really nailed the fit and that is a great looking garment. Not easily done in an insulation jacket.

Great work!
Doug

Joe Federici
(need2boat) - F

Locale: North East
Re: Re: Kinsman pullover w/mod on 07/01/2007 19:48:41 MDT Print View

Doug

thanks for the kind words.

Yea I guess I sort of poked the fat man.

JFF