November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bottom Compression Straps??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyler Cosma
Bottom Compression Straps?? on 10/23/2013 12:45:01 MDT Print View

Hi all!

I'm brand new to the forums! I've been backpacking for years, and I am now finally getting into "ultralight" backpacking. I was wondering if anyone ever puts compression straps on the bottoms of their packs? Pretty standard in larger packs, but I hate how manufacturers leave them off of smaller the 25-35L range.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you all have added them to your pack, and if so, is it pretty straight-forward or does it present any unexpected challenges? It would free up so much space inside the pack!

Thanks a million :-)

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: Bottom Compression Straps?? on 10/23/2013 13:01:10 MDT Print View

Great question - anxious for responses & photos.

I have felt that hand sewing was to way to go, but I dread it.

And by thw way ... Welcome Ty!

alex hansen
Not compression straps on 10/23/2013 23:04:58 MDT Print View

I believe the "big brands" don't put those on there for compression, but rather because they feel like the consumers think that if they need the extra space " well I can just hang my tent, pad, or my sleeping bag there. "
Most bpl'rs probably don't use those for anything but possibly a closed cell pad. I kept the loops on the bottom of my pack so I can run a bit of shock cord there if I needed the extra space. Keep in mind that anything that you put down there (if it weighs much) will throw off the way your pack carries.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Bottom Compression Straps?? on 10/24/2013 00:11:33 MDT Print View

GoLite puts them on the bottom of some of their large packs. I am not aware of any others, but some may.
They do work, especially when you want to use a 60 L pack for a day walk from a base camp.