Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Bottom Compression Straps??

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyler Cosma
(cosma19)
Bottom Compression Straps?? on 10/23/2013 12:45:01 MDT Print View

Hi all!

I'm brand new to the forums! I've been backpacking for years, and I am now finally getting into "ultralight" backpacking. I was wondering if anyone ever puts compression straps on the bottoms of their packs? Pretty standard in larger packs, but I hate how manufacturers leave them off of smaller packs...in the 25-35L range.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you all have added them to your pack, and if so, is it pretty straight-forward or does it present any unexpected challenges? It would free up so much space inside the pack!

Thanks a million :-)

Ty

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Bottom Compression Straps?? on 10/23/2013 13:01:10 MDT Print View

Great question - anxious for responses & photos.

I have felt that hand sewing was to way to go, but I dread it.

And by thw way ... Welcome Ty!

alex hansen
(holden425) - F
Not compression straps on 10/23/2013 23:04:58 MDT Print View

I believe the "big brands" don't put those on there for compression, but rather because they feel like the consumers think that if they need the extra space " well I can just hang my tent, pad, or my sleeping bag there. "
Most bpl'rs probably don't use those for anything but possibly a closed cell pad. I kept the loops on the bottom of my pack so I can run a bit of shock cord there if I needed the extra space. Keep in mind that anything that you put down there (if it weighs much) will throw off the way your pack carries.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Bottom Compression Straps?? on 10/24/2013 00:11:33 MDT Print View

GoLite puts them on the bottom of some of their large packs. I am not aware of any others, but some may.
They do work, especially when you want to use a 60 L pack for a day walk from a base camp.

Cheers