BPL has Ads now ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
New White Hat Aviator browser on 10/23/2013 20:05:44 MDT Print View

Only available for Mac now but hopefully a Windows version soon.

We bundled Aviator with Disconnect to remove ads and tracking
Aviator is always in private mode

https://blog.whitehatsec.com/introducing-whitehat-aviator-a-safer-web-browser/

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
not so happy on 10/23/2013 20:50:36 MDT Print View

I joined up for a yearly membership again a few months ago after a good article or two in the few preceding months but I have been let down by the articles for the last few months and now with the ads I really don't feel like renewing come next year. I guess I should sell off the last few things I might have on the Gear Swap and just let it run out.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 21:39:22 MDT Print View

I just completed my personal life priority list. There are 82,743 things in my life that are more important and more pressing than whether or not BPL has advertising.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 21:48:42 MDT Print View

Nick was responding to this thread one of them? 82,742 to go.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 01:06:34 MDT Print View

“If a person never contradicts himself, it must be that he says nothing.”
― Miguel de Unamuno

Awkward ...

(Bottom of page 1 on linked thread)

:)

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/24/2013 01:18:05 MDT.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
it's a google thing on 10/24/2013 06:31:26 MDT Print View

Google is a colossus and can do what they want. Here's an article from BI on it.
http://www.businessinsider.com/google-testing-banner-ads-in-violation-of-promise-not-to-2013-10

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 08:08:58 MDT Print View

Good stalker post on my almost 4 year comment, Christopher. But I stand by it. It is not a contradiction nor is it awkward. I said I don't like pesky banner ads. I also provided feedback on what I feel would be enhancements to BPL.

I also don't care for TV, magazine, and newspaper ads. I don't care for movie trailers at the theatre or on DVDs I purchase. But they are there and I ignore them and move on. I don't care for pesky flying insects or ants, but they are in they wilderness. They don't cause me to stay home or buy an enclosed shelter. I don't complain about them -- I just accept they are there.

People whinning about these ads need to get over it and move on. Get back to living you life, there are more important things in life to worry about.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 08:45:20 MDT Print View

LOL. :)

I was hoping you would appreciate that. It took some real effort to find!!!

... and I hope it is obvious in was meant in jest and not in disrespect. (I actually had a lot of fun reading through your old posts, Nick. It is funny how old topics become new again, and again, and again.)

Cheers

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/24/2013 08:47:14 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Ads on 10/24/2013 08:54:53 MDT Print View

"People whinning about these ads need to get over it and move on. Get back to living you life, there are more important things in life to worry about."

+1

Yet, clearly, most would rather focus on this than the real problems out there, since this only entails complaining. Other problems may actually require doing something.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 09:19:34 MDT Print View

maybe it should be "if a person never contradicts himself, it must be that he has said zero or one things"

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 10:06:39 MDT Print View

Often times (but not always), when we think we know better for others, it would behoove us (and others) to focus more on self and what self does or doesn't do. Since i am saying that as advice for others, there is a slight contradiction, the irony of which is not lost on me ;)

:P

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 10:31:01 MDT Print View

hmmm... nevermind, you said one thing and contradicted yourself : )

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
yay! on 10/24/2013 11:18:09 MDT Print View

How else would I hear about the brain dead simple system to cut my grocery bill by 90%?

Erik G
(fox212)

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Ads on 10/24/2013 11:44:31 MDT Print View

Well, as another lowly forum-only member, I do see the ads. They've increased in number and gotten progressively more "loud" (moving, flashy, etc) over the past few days.

A few days ago there was just one non-moving ad at the top of the page. Next day, there was also one on the right side of the page below reader reviews. Then moving ads started appearing. Now there are two ads on the right side in addition to the one at the top of the page and they all have moving, flashy ads on them.

I really didn't mind the single ad, or the couple of moving ones, but it is getting a bit over the top IMO. I have no idea if they can regulate the content of the ads or whether they move, flash, etc. If this is necessary to keep BPL afloat, then I'm all for it, but geez, all things in moderation right? :)

Edited by fox212 on 10/24/2013 11:45:43 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 11:52:41 MDT Print View

Fight the system: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE from the OP on 10/24/2013 20:02:46 MDT Print View

I was just asking if this was something new... I don't care if this site has ads, more power to the ones that started this great site, they deserve it! To the ones that bicker about what they think others should post, and judge what people spend time talking about online- grow up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: RE from the OP on 10/24/2013 20:07:26 MDT Print View

Don't forget that this forum is the Chaff alternative. Ads have been before, Just not like now.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Thanks Justin on 10/24/2013 20:46:58 MDT Print View

I didn't need it for BPL but plug-in changes the whole experience at a few other sites I visit.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Thanks Justin on 10/25/2013 13:11:11 MDT Print View

I haven't watched an advertisement on youtube in years. It's glorious!

Peter S (masc. über linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Re: Re: Thanks Justin on 10/25/2013 16:54:26 MDT Print View

There's ads on YouTube?