Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL has Ads now ?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/25/2013 23:54:52 MDT Print View

> Fight the system: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Well, yes, but AdBlock also kills the main pic on the BPL home page!
Unless there is a way to fix that?
Please do tell if there is!

Cheers

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
re: on 10/26/2013 05:10:15 MDT Print View

If a couple google ads is what is separating this site from success and death, then I dare say it's dead Jim.

Maybe Ryan should name a price and let someone with more time and money take a swing at it.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 07:31:12 MDT Print View

CTRL + SHIFT + V will open a pane at the bottom of the browser window with blockable items. You can manually select any item to make it hidden or not. :)

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Ads on 10/26/2013 10:14:24 MDT Print View

"If a couple google ads is what is separating this site from success and death, then I dare say it's dead Jim. "
About half the sites on the internet survive on Google Ads.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 10:25:41 MDT Print View

"Well, yes, but AdBlock also kills the main pic on the BPL home page!"

So what. I just go straight to new posts since last visit. The home page is nothing but an ad. If you get the newsletter it is redundant.

Plus one click and you can pause the ad blocker software if you think you might be missing something.

Edited by kthompson on 10/26/2013 10:26:33 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 10:31:41 MDT Print View

what? There's a main pic on the home page? : )

Steve G
(sgrobben) - M

Locale: Ohio
Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 11:11:38 MDT Print View

"About half the sites on the internet survive on Google Ads."

How many of those sites charge their users (content creators)? This site is an anomaly.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 14:31:51 MDT Print View

Without ads at BPL, would perhaps never learn of innovative bear defense devices, like Nat'l Geographic Chameleon Vision Goggles that let you "see predators coming up behind you with the mirrors on either side of the mask" --

Chameleon Vision Goggles

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 14:38:03 MDT Print View

That should wither be a headlamp, or a bra

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 14:52:10 MDT Print View

Here is an excerpt from today's letter sent to all members.

-- We've started serving third party ads through an independent advertising network to help further subsidize the costs of serving forums to the public. At this time, ads will be hidden for Lifetime Members. We are not, and do not plan to, accept advertising directly from manufacturers. This conflict of interest remains an insidious part of the outdoor industry (and consumer products as a whole), in spite of claims towards editorial integrity. I'd simply like to avoid it. We plan to test this ad network for a period of 90 days, and reevaluate at the end of that time whether the maintenance, loss of editorial space, and the humorous present of occasionally strange and goofy ads is worth the additional revenue that the ads bring in. Early results from this week do suggest that this has the potential to have a VERY positive long term impact on the financial health, and revenue diversification, of BPL, and could allow us to (1) become debt-free sooner and/or (2) reinvest the proceeds into website development initiatives.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 14:55:23 MDT Print View

I have a question.

Don't you have to click on an ad for the site to receive money? Or does BPL get money for just having them up?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 10/26/2013 15:41:23 MDT Print View

It's complicated, but the short answer is that people actually have to click them.

Also, you can't just click them repeatedly to "hook up" BPL. Google has fancy software that detects abnormal clicks (like 10 clicks from one individual, or tons of clicks from a specific geographical area). If there are suspicious clicks, Google deducts that from a sites revenue and returns it to the advertiser. If it happens a lot that Google can terminate the ad agreement with a site without warning.

Also, if you click an ad and then close that window immediately then it doesn't pay much. It's complicated, but each ad that is displayed has a potential click value (based on competition between advertisers mostly) and then if the person who clicks it stays on that site for a while then the advertiser is charged the full amount (ie. $0.30) but if it's a short visit then the advertiser might pay half that. Then Google takes a big piece (32%) and passes the rest to the website.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 15:51:27 MDT Print View

I didn't get the letter....just one that said they have upgraded the customer support system. Followed by renewing my subscription.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 16:55:43 MDT Print View

We don't get the letters, just the announcements.

Like this one, which made me laugh today:

"We understand that there are some of you that may have urgent issues that have not yet been addressed, for which you submitted tickets into our old customer support system, which was taken offline in September."

Notice they did not specify September of which year. Well played RJ. Well played.

(PS: The depth and diversity of DandyDans interests alone make my annual subscription price worthwhile. :))

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/26/2013 16:59:42 MDT.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 18:59:15 MDT Print View

So if a person wants to help, BPL would get the most revenue if they open an ad in a new tab and leave it up for a while. Right?

Edited by spelt on 10/26/2013 19:01:32 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 10/26/2013 21:29:58 MDT Print View

After about a minute of it being open you'd earn BPL max revenue, which would probably be around 40 cents. You could do that a few times per year and it would likely fly under the radar, but if you starting doing that regularly Google's fancy computer programs would notice and automatically subtract it off BPL's paycheck. If a bunch of people started doing it then Google might just axe BPL from their program.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 21:49:17 MDT Print View

I understand not wanting the system to be gamed, but isn't the point to have ads that are clicked on regularly? If I clicked, for example, one ad per day, is that going to help, or get me flagged and get BPL penalized?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 22:34:03 MDT Print View

So people actually click on those things. Interesting. People are funny.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Ads on 10/27/2013 06:01:09 MDT Print View

I was hoping for an ad for that bra/head lamp lizard thing....

Edited by leadfoot on 10/27/2013 09:28:55 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 10/27/2013 07:45:35 MDT Print View

Ken: It depends on many factors, but usually 1-3% of people will click.

Spelt: It's tough to say because Google isn't very transparent about what's okay and what's not (or people would "game" it more). I doubt daily clicks would get BPL cut off (since any malicious person could do much more that that to any innocent website), but my hunch is that if you're doing enough clicking to generate any meaningful money to BPL, then it'll be noticed and subtracted off by Google's sharp software. Sure some people likely click ads daily for real, but this likely uncommon enough that Google just lumps all such activity in as suspicious. Keep in mind they don't have to prove anything, and they are very cautious with their filters and always side on the side of the advertiser because if advertisers think they're paying for meaningless clicks then they'll withdraw business.

My guess is that the best approach if you want to help BPL is to click an ad when you've actually got a bit of interest. If there's an ad about an Arcteryx sale and you like Arcteryx, give it a click and go check out the sale. How much an ad pays is based on more than just how long the window is open - it also matters how much clicking around you do on that new site, and some ads might even pay a bonus if you actually make a purchase.

Counting unregistered visitors, there seems to be a fair bit of traffic to this site and collectively it can add up. If done well, the traffic volumes that BPL has could probably generate a few grand per month (pretty wild guess because I'm using poor data on BPL's traffic volumes).

BPL Brass: If you're is reading this, there's a lot of room to improve on the ad setup (ie. optimize revenue). Shoot me a message.

Edited by dandydan on 10/27/2013 07:46:10 MDT.