BPL has Ads now ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Mlife on 10/22/2013 19:40:55 MDT Print View

Cosmic coincidence that chaffing and chafing are so similar in spelling and sound? :O

The BPL gods shall not smile upon us from henceforth...bummer.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 19:43:03 MDT Print View

Lately the google ads (on other sites) have been extraordinarily irritating, with lots of flashing and moving items. Gives me a headache, fast! If the ads are static, I have no problems if they want to inflict them on all of us. I'm seriously considering an ad blocker, though. Anyone have recommendations for a Mac?

Those who have been MLifers for 5 years (I'm not quite there yet) are now getting a free ride. For full disclosure, I did get mine from an anonymous donor, whom I'll thank again. I PIFed it and bought a life membership for another person, so BPL still got my money. I suspect I'm not the only one who has done this; I know there are other anonymous donors out there.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Mlife on 10/22/2013 19:50:16 MDT Print View

"Cosmic coincidence that chaffing and chafing are so similar in spelling and sound? :O"

Never had a chafing problem in my life. Chaffing, on the other hand....

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 20:28:47 MDT Print View

It might be worth while remembering that it costs quite a lot of money to run BPL.
Hosting
Web page development and maintenance
Article editing for posting
Accounting costs

And on top of this we have a GFC which makes it harder for Ryan to feed his family. Yes, I know he has great ambitions for BPL, but sometimes the aligators keep biting.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 22:45:10 MDT Print View

I don't see the ads since I have a M-Life. But I would not mind if the M-Life member screen showed the ads. I am a businessman and understand the need to generate income. Plus banner ads would be much preferable to what we had a while back.

@ Roger, what is a GFC?

Regarding the observation of, "Those who have been MLifers for 5 years (I'm not quite there yet) are now getting a free ride." I have to disagree with that. Ryan needed cash and the early M-Lifers funded that, which from what I understand, allowed him to buy out the other owners.

I wonder if the Idester were to log on as a guest, what would his random ads be... hmm.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: GFC on 10/22/2013 22:56:15 MDT Print View

Global Financial Crisis

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 22:58:10 MDT Print View

I understand that there are the costs of hosting, and developing, maintaining, editing and posting as well as the accounting costs ... and of course Ryan's kids to be fed ... but I thought that was why I paid a membership fee. Are there too few annual members for this to amount to anything?

Unfortunately I would think this could exacerbate the "free-rider" problem by eroding the benefits of an annual membership, which to be honest are somewhat marginal. I pay because I want to contribute to the well being and continued existence of the site ... but if my presence via ad-impressions is contributing to that financial well-being anyway the "forum membership" looks more attractive from my perspective.

(BTW, The BIG ad down the right side margin ... the one that follows you onto every page ... is particularly glaring and painful on the eye... fortunately it presently provides a link for curing migraines. Nice.)

screen

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/23/2013 01:38:20 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: GFC on 10/22/2013 23:12:33 MDT Print View

There is a global financial crisis?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 23:16:32 MDT Print View

I understand that there are the costs of hosting, and developing, maintaining, editing and posting as well as the accounting costs ... and of course Ryan's kids to be fed ... but I thought that was why I paid a membership fee. Are there too few annual members for this to amount to anything?

Unfortunately I would think this could exacerbate the "free-rider" problem by eroding the benefits of an annual membership, which to be honest are somewhat marginal. I pay because I want to contribute to the well being and continued existence of the site ... but if my presence via ad-impressions is contributing to that financial well-being anyway ....

----------------------------------

BPL isn't a large website and it doesn't have a large membership base. We are fringe lunatics.

I hope we don't turn this into a debate of non-paying vs. paying. Free access has its benefits to driving traffic. There just needs to be an incentive for free members to upgrade their membership. This seems to be problematic; what is the value to purchase a membership.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 23:27:09 MDT Print View

Sorry Nick. I was honestly trying to choose my words carefully so as not to turn it into a flame.

I do really appreciate this community but I feel like the valuation of the "annual member" versus the "forum member" versus the "lurker" is already ... errr .... murky.

This does not seem like a progressive step in that regard.

(PS: For all the "ad-blocker" folks, I thought those types of blocking add-ons depressed the # of impressions and would injure the overall ad revenue. No?)

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/23/2013 13:02:16 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 23:31:49 MDT Print View

Unless something has changed recently, there is no completely free membership anymore. To post here, i had to pay 5 dollars. When i decided i wanted to just go ahead and get a year membership, i asked about getting that 5 dollars subtracted from the yearly membership cost. Just got silence, and i'm sure a few yearly and lifer members got a chuckle out of the attempt.

As a yearly member, i'm not too keen on the adds, but then again neither do i have strong feelings against them, especially not IF they are necessary to the maintenance of the site. Since i know barely anything about Ryan Jordan, BPL past, etc, etc i cannot comment on any of that.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: GFC on 10/23/2013 00:12:48 MDT Print View

"There is a global financial crisis?"

In my field, it is generic flow control.

--B.G.--

Peter S (masc. ├╝ber linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Block on 10/23/2013 01:33:22 MDT Print View

Halleluja for AdBlockers...i haven't seen an ad on WWW for many years

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 07:24:50 MDT Print View

Scored a $65 deck for $14. Ads done well are okay.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 07:28:10 MDT Print View

Great! If it is what it takes to keep BPL afloat I am all for it. Of course I run AdBlock so non of the adverts bother me. Go for it!

BPL, BPL ra,ra,ra!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: GFC on 10/23/2013 07:41:55 MDT Print View

Ha, ha, ha, you beat me to it Ken

maybe Gaelic Football Club?

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
The Bozemen Daily Khronicle headlines on 10/23/2013 15:41:51 MDT Print View

>Family of local businessman found starving and living in a van down by the river>

>BPL to start running ads for non-life members>

>Unnamed Montana man buys millions of shares of ad-blocking software company>

:)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
BPL has Ads now on 10/23/2013 17:19:41 MDT Print View

I usually lurk here without logging in, so I get to see the ads. What has been here this afternoon (10/23) are no problem at all--quite innocuous. Just avoid the blinking/moving kind, please!

Dean L, loved your post!!! :-)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 17:41:10 MDT Print View

They're pretty obnoxious, but so are Matthew Perry posts and I don't have to click on them either.

Steve G
(sgrobben) - M

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 18:13:31 MDT Print View

Many years from now BPL will be seen as the lead innovator in the "pay for ads" business model.