Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
BPL has Ads now ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 09:35:22 MDT Print View

I'm getting Ads popping up on this site, it this something new?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 09:51:03 MDT Print View

If I recall correctly there is/was something associated with Gear Swap.
But they were basically in-line text.

No Pop-Ups for me ....yet...

But I do have a couple of ad-blockers running.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 10:02:28 MDT Print View

Here is what they posted on the Home page about it

22.Oct.13 Currently working on code to hide banner ads if you are logged in as an MLIFE member!

and this also is posted on Home page

22.Oct.13 Getting close to rolling our our new customer service system. Thanks for your patience!

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 10:03:39 MDT Print View

Yeah, I'm seeing a banner ad from some place called REI??

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 12:23:24 MDT Print View

I'm getting one for Yoplait. I never realized that yogurt makes good trail food; is it freeze dried?

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 14:36:20 MDT Print View

There were ads for a while but they disappeared; I think it's been a year now that the ads left. What they had was quite comical; if you posted about the Great Lakes an ad would pop up for a firm with "Great Lakes" in its name. I used to get quite a few chuckles just looking at the ads.

Does the "new customer servcice system" mean there will be someone besides Maia to respond to customer service issues? I have nothing against Maia; she's a truly beautiful dog! However, I don't believe she was trained to resolve service isues!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 14:54:40 MDT Print View

The only thing I have against ads is when there's a long delay for each of several ads, uploading or whataver, during which time I can't scroll or click on buttons

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
BPL Ads are New and Improved ! on 10/22/2013 14:57:20 MDT Print View

new ads, not the old ads. If you are logged in as MLife, you can't appreciate the awesomeness.ads

The new ads are between the menu bar, and the content.

Edited by redmonk on 10/22/2013 14:58:05 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Ads on 10/22/2013 16:06:13 MDT Print View

I encourage everyone not to instantly jump on this as a bad thing and as a sign of BPL's impending demise.

It looks like BPL is getting ads supplied from Google. The way that it works is that both websites and advertisers sign up with google, and then Google "serves" ads to websites that seem like a good match. It would put an ad here based on the content of this site (ie. why REI ads show up) or it will put an add based on your recent search history with google (which is maybe why Yoplait came up).

So here's the upsides to this:
1) Journalistic Integrity
Since neither BPL nor the advertisers have much say in which ads appear, there is essentially no pressure on BPL to modify their content to please advertisers. The ads might be a bit cheesy, but the disconnect between advertiser and the websites means that journalistic integrity stays intact. Theoretically an advertiser could request not to be shown on this site, but Google splashes their ads on thousands of pages across the web so BPL is just a drop in the bucket to say REI's advertising budget, and thus they'd never take the time to care even if BPL did a 6 part series on why REI sucks.

2) Higher Quality Content
This is the big one. If the head honcho's at BPL can actually make a few bucks of this site, they'll be far more motivated to work on it. The reality of life is that you can't spend all your time doing fun pro-bono stuff. After years of putting a lot of work into BPL and barely making anything in return, it gets tough to stay motivated and continue to provide high quality content. If BPL can actually make some coin on these ads, it will ultimately be reflected in the quality of the content.

As an anecdote, I created a small website back in 2008 and worked on it for fun for a couple years. After a while the novelty wore off and it became tough investing the same time when I was getting little out of it. Instead of cancelling the site after 3 years, I decided to try this same program to possibly cover the costs of running a site. As it turns out, I now make a few bucks on the site. It's nothing major, but it keeps me motivated to work on it knowing that there's some beer/gear money coming out of it.

Edited by dandydan on 10/22/2013 16:07:08 MDT.

Steve G
(sgrobben)

Locale: Ohio
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 16:29:17 MDT Print View

Seems a bit strange to give MLife an exception but not yearly contributing members, no? I could care less about ads but for forum privileges those two membership tiers should be the same IMO.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 16:32:11 MDT Print View

+1

As a "M", I've contributed more, and will continue to do so, than a "MLife".

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 17:00:55 MDT Print View

"As a "M", I've contributed more, and will continue to do so, than a "MLife"."

So now we are pitted against one another? Like when there were scores alongside our names..

If you had bought in early you'd be free of paying now.

Run an ad block program. Problem solved. Well, that problem anyway.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 17:03:37 MDT Print View

Did you get an Mlife from that anonymous donor Ken?

Just trying to be a humourist, not being critical of anyone...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 17:50:57 MDT Print View

"If you had bought in early you'd be free of paying now."

I don't mind 5.5 cents a day... and I'm happy to continue at that rate.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 18:24:51 MDT Print View

"As a "M", I've contributed more, and will continue to do so, than a "MLife"."

You certainly have contributed more than me, as have folks like Dave Ure, who's also been a member much longer than I have.

Ryan is close hold with info about BPL (as is his right, no complaints), so I have no idea on how many impressions he'd accumulate if he made ads invisible to M'ers as well. If there would be few people left (negating putting the ads up in the first place), then I'd be all for not excluding anyone from the ads, including MLIFERs. From Cameron's pic the ads don't seem all that intrusive, so I wouldn't be bothered by it.

Of course, I'd just as soon see the MLIFE designation go away entirely. That doesn't mean I want to be charged again - that's one 'deal' that I'd prefer BPL not try to renege on, but I think, overall, the MLIFE thing became a minor disaster - it was more fodder for promises unfulfilled than anything else. I vote for closing down that part of BPL history and moving on. Let's just have M's and F's (I know, I"m an MFer, too easy).

In concert with that, 'full' members are members, same bennies for us all. I can see continuing to separate forum only members from the rest, but that's it. There's enough pitting one group against the other in the rest of our societal dealings (as chaff has been sadly pointing out a lot lately), let's get away from it, for the most part, in BPL.

FWIW.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 18:26:27 MDT Print View

I am only a lowly "F" now and I do not see any ads. Tee hee.

Edit: they just popped up...LOL

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/22/2013 18:31:10 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 18:29:28 MDT Print View

No Jerry, My pocket. I was lured in by all the promises that were never delivered. Leaving me bitter. I jumped on the MLife . Scratch that. I was lied to, fell for it and now am ahead. RJ gets not a dime from me anymore. Now I feel better. Only took 5 years and a day.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 18:40:32 MDT Print View

okay, maybe you're entitled to gripe : )

Steve G
(sgrobben)

Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 19:07:26 MDT Print View

BPL meet Adblock Plus

Not against the ads, but if MLifers aren't seeing ads then I won't be either.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Mlife on 10/22/2013 19:25:54 MDT Print View

This just reminded me that I am one of those lucky recipients of a gifted membership. Thanks.
Hopefully all my "chaffing" hasn't caused the donor to regret this..

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Mlife on 10/22/2013 19:40:55 MDT Print View

Cosmic coincidence that chaffing and chafing are so similar in spelling and sound? :O

The BPL gods shall not smile upon us from henceforth...bummer.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 19:43:03 MDT Print View

Lately the google ads (on other sites) have been extraordinarily irritating, with lots of flashing and moving items. Gives me a headache, fast! If the ads are static, I have no problems if they want to inflict them on all of us. I'm seriously considering an ad blocker, though. Anyone have recommendations for a Mac?

Those who have been MLifers for 5 years (I'm not quite there yet) are now getting a free ride. For full disclosure, I did get mine from an anonymous donor, whom I'll thank again. I PIFed it and bought a life membership for another person, so BPL still got my money. I suspect I'm not the only one who has done this; I know there are other anonymous donors out there.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Mlife on 10/22/2013 19:50:16 MDT Print View

"Cosmic coincidence that chaffing and chafing are so similar in spelling and sound? :O"

Never had a chafing problem in my life. Chaffing, on the other hand....

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 20:28:47 MDT Print View

It might be worth while remembering that it costs quite a lot of money to run BPL.
Hosting
Web page development and maintenance
Article editing for posting
Accounting costs

And on top of this we have a GFC which makes it harder for Ryan to feed his family. Yes, I know he has great ambitions for BPL, but sometimes the aligators keep biting.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 22:45:10 MDT Print View

I don't see the ads since I have a M-Life. But I would not mind if the M-Life member screen showed the ads. I am a businessman and understand the need to generate income. Plus banner ads would be much preferable to what we had a while back.

@ Roger, what is a GFC?

Regarding the observation of, "Those who have been MLifers for 5 years (I'm not quite there yet) are now getting a free ride." I have to disagree with that. Ryan needed cash and the early M-Lifers funded that, which from what I understand, allowed him to buy out the other owners.

I wonder if the Idester were to log on as a guest, what would his random ads be... hmm.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: GFC on 10/22/2013 22:56:15 MDT Print View

Global Financial Crisis

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 22:58:10 MDT Print View

I understand that there are the costs of hosting, and developing, maintaining, editing and posting as well as the accounting costs ... and of course Ryan's kids to be fed ... but I thought that was why I paid a membership fee. Are there too few annual members for this to amount to anything?

Unfortunately I would think this could exacerbate the "free-rider" problem by eroding the benefits of an annual membership, which to be honest are somewhat marginal. I pay because I want to contribute to the well being and continued existence of the site ... but if my presence via ad-impressions is contributing to that financial well-being anyway the "forum membership" looks more attractive from my perspective.

(BTW, The BIG ad down the right side margin ... the one that follows you onto every page ... is particularly glaring and painful on the eye... fortunately it presently provides a link for curing migraines. Nice.)

screen

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/23/2013 01:38:20 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: GFC on 10/22/2013 23:12:33 MDT Print View

There is a global financial crisis?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 23:16:32 MDT Print View

I understand that there are the costs of hosting, and developing, maintaining, editing and posting as well as the accounting costs ... and of course Ryan's kids to be fed ... but I thought that was why I paid a membership fee. Are there too few annual members for this to amount to anything?

Unfortunately I would think this could exacerbate the "free-rider" problem by eroding the benefits of an annual membership, which to be honest are somewhat marginal. I pay because I want to contribute to the well being and continued existence of the site ... but if my presence via ad-impressions is contributing to that financial well-being anyway ....

----------------------------------

BPL isn't a large website and it doesn't have a large membership base. We are fringe lunatics.

I hope we don't turn this into a debate of non-paying vs. paying. Free access has its benefits to driving traffic. There just needs to be an incentive for free members to upgrade their membership. This seems to be problematic; what is the value to purchase a membership.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 23:27:09 MDT Print View

Sorry Nick. I was honestly trying to choose my words carefully so as not to turn it into a flame.

I do really appreciate this community but I feel like the valuation of the "annual member" versus the "forum member" versus the "lurker" is already ... errr .... murky.

This does not seem like a progressive step in that regard.

(PS: For all the "ad-blocker" folks, I thought those types of blocking add-ons depressed the # of impressions and would injure the overall ad revenue. No?)

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/23/2013 13:02:16 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/22/2013 23:31:49 MDT Print View

Unless something has changed recently, there is no completely free membership anymore. To post here, i had to pay 5 dollars. When i decided i wanted to just go ahead and get a year membership, i asked about getting that 5 dollars subtracted from the yearly membership cost. Just got silence, and i'm sure a few yearly and lifer members got a chuckle out of the attempt.

As a yearly member, i'm not too keen on the adds, but then again neither do i have strong feelings against them, especially not IF they are necessary to the maintenance of the site. Since i know barely anything about Ryan Jordan, BPL past, etc, etc i cannot comment on any of that.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: GFC on 10/23/2013 00:12:48 MDT Print View

"There is a global financial crisis?"

In my field, it is generic flow control.

--B.G.--

Peter S (masc. über linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Block on 10/23/2013 01:33:22 MDT Print View

Halleluja for AdBlockers...i haven't seen an ad on WWW for many years

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 07:24:50 MDT Print View

Scored a $65 deck for $14. Ads done well are okay.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 07:28:10 MDT Print View

Great! If it is what it takes to keep BPL afloat I am all for it. Of course I run AdBlock so non of the adverts bother me. Go for it!

BPL, BPL ra,ra,ra!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: GFC on 10/23/2013 07:41:55 MDT Print View

Ha, ha, ha, you beat me to it Ken

maybe Gaelic Football Club?

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
The Bozemen Daily Khronicle headlines on 10/23/2013 15:41:51 MDT Print View

>Family of local businessman found starving and living in a van down by the river>

>BPL to start running ads for non-life members>

>Unnamed Montana man buys millions of shares of ad-blocking software company>

:)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

BPL has Ads now on 10/23/2013 17:19:41 MDT Print View

I usually lurk here without logging in, so I get to see the ads. What has been here this afternoon (10/23) are no problem at all--quite innocuous. Just avoid the blinking/moving kind, please!

Dean L, loved your post!!! :-)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 17:41:10 MDT Print View

They're pretty obnoxious, but so are Matthew Perry posts and I don't have to click on them either.

Steve G
(sgrobben)

Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 18:13:31 MDT Print View

Many years from now BPL will be seen as the lead innovator in the "pay for ads" business model.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
New White Hat Aviator browser on 10/23/2013 20:05:44 MDT Print View

Only available for Mac now but hopefully a Windows version soon.

We bundled Aviator with Disconnect to remove ads and tracking
Aviator is always in private mode

https://blog.whitehatsec.com/introducing-whitehat-aviator-a-safer-web-browser/

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
not so happy on 10/23/2013 20:50:36 MDT Print View

I joined up for a yearly membership again a few months ago after a good article or two in the few preceding months but I have been let down by the articles for the last few months and now with the ads I really don't feel like renewing come next year. I guess I should sell off the last few things I might have on the Gear Swap and just let it run out.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 21:39:22 MDT Print View

I just completed my personal life priority list. There are 82,743 things in my life that are more important and more pressing than whether or not BPL has advertising.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/23/2013 21:48:42 MDT Print View

Nick was responding to this thread one of them? 82,742 to go.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 01:06:34 MDT Print View

“If a person never contradicts himself, it must be that he says nothing.”
― Miguel de Unamuno

Awkward ...

(Bottom of page 1 on linked thread)

:)

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/24/2013 01:18:05 MDT.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
it's a google thing on 10/24/2013 06:31:26 MDT Print View

Google is a colossus and can do what they want. Here's an article from BI on it.
http://www.businessinsider.com/google-testing-banner-ads-in-violation-of-promise-not-to-2013-10

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 08:08:58 MDT Print View

Good stalker post on my almost 4 year comment, Christopher. But I stand by it. It is not a contradiction nor is it awkward. I said I don't like pesky banner ads. I also provided feedback on what I feel would be enhancements to BPL.

I also don't care for TV, magazine, and newspaper ads. I don't care for movie trailers at the theatre or on DVDs I purchase. But they are there and I ignore them and move on. I don't care for pesky flying insects or ants, but they are in they wilderness. They don't cause me to stay home or buy an enclosed shelter. I don't complain about them -- I just accept they are there.

People whinning about these ads need to get over it and move on. Get back to living you life, there are more important things in life to worry about.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 08:45:20 MDT Print View

LOL. :)

I was hoping you would appreciate that. It took some real effort to find!!!

... and I hope it is obvious in was meant in jest and not in disrespect. (I actually had a lot of fun reading through your old posts, Nick. It is funny how old topics become new again, and again, and again.)

Cheers

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/24/2013 08:47:14 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Ads on 10/24/2013 08:54:53 MDT Print View

"People whinning about these ads need to get over it and move on. Get back to living you life, there are more important things in life to worry about."

+1

Yet, clearly, most would rather focus on this than the real problems out there, since this only entails complaining. Other problems may actually require doing something.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 09:19:34 MDT Print View

maybe it should be "if a person never contradicts himself, it must be that he has said zero or one things"

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 10:06:39 MDT Print View

Often times (but not always), when we think we know better for others, it would behoove us (and others) to focus more on self and what self does or doesn't do. Since i am saying that as advice for others, there is a slight contradiction, the irony of which is not lost on me ;)

:P

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 10:31:01 MDT Print View

hmmm... nevermind, you said one thing and contradicted yourself : )

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
yay! on 10/24/2013 11:18:09 MDT Print View

How else would I hear about the brain dead simple system to cut my grocery bill by 90%?

Erik G
(fox212) - F

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Ads on 10/24/2013 11:44:31 MDT Print View

Well, as another lowly forum-only member, I do see the ads. They've increased in number and gotten progressively more "loud" (moving, flashy, etc) over the past few days.

A few days ago there was just one non-moving ad at the top of the page. Next day, there was also one on the right side of the page below reader reviews. Then moving ads started appearing. Now there are two ads on the right side in addition to the one at the top of the page and they all have moving, flashy ads on them.

I really didn't mind the single ad, or the couple of moving ones, but it is getting a bit over the top IMO. I have no idea if they can regulate the content of the ads or whether they move, flash, etc. If this is necessary to keep BPL afloat, then I'm all for it, but geez, all things in moderation right? :)

Edited by fox212 on 10/24/2013 11:45:43 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/24/2013 11:52:41 MDT Print View

Fight the system: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

K C
(KalebC) - F

RE from the OP on 10/24/2013 20:02:46 MDT Print View

I was just asking if this was something new... I don't care if this site has ads, more power to the ones that started this great site, they deserve it! To the ones that bicker about what they think others should post, and judge what people spend time talking about online- grow up.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: RE from the OP on 10/24/2013 20:07:26 MDT Print View

Don't forget that this forum is the Chaff alternative. Ads have been before, Just not like now.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Thanks Justin on 10/24/2013 20:46:58 MDT Print View

I didn't need it for BPL but plug-in changes the whole experience at a few other sites I visit.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Thanks Justin on 10/25/2013 13:11:11 MDT Print View

I haven't watched an advertisement on youtube in years. It's glorious!

(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: Thanks Justin on 10/25/2013 16:54:26 MDT Print View

There's ads on YouTube?

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/25/2013 23:54:52 MDT Print View

> Fight the system: https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Well, yes, but AdBlock also kills the main pic on the BPL home page!
Unless there is a way to fix that?
Please do tell if there is!

Cheers

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
re: on 10/26/2013 05:10:15 MDT Print View

If a couple google ads is what is separating this site from success and death, then I dare say it's dead Jim.

Maybe Ryan should name a price and let someone with more time and money take a swing at it.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 07:31:12 MDT Print View

CTRL + SHIFT + V will open a pane at the bottom of the browser window with blockable items. You can manually select any item to make it hidden or not. :)

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 10/26/2013 10:14:24 MDT Print View

"If a couple google ads is what is separating this site from success and death, then I dare say it's dead Jim. "
About half the sites on the internet survive on Google Ads.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 10:25:41 MDT Print View

"Well, yes, but AdBlock also kills the main pic on the BPL home page!"

So what. I just go straight to new posts since last visit. The home page is nothing but an ad. If you get the newsletter it is redundant.

Plus one click and you can pause the ad blocker software if you think you might be missing something.

Edited by kthompson on 10/26/2013 10:26:33 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 10:31:41 MDT Print View

what? There's a main pic on the home page? : )

Steve G
(sgrobben)

Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 11:11:38 MDT Print View

"About half the sites on the internet survive on Google Ads."

How many of those sites charge their users (content creators)? This site is an anomaly.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 14:31:51 MDT Print View

Without ads at BPL, would perhaps never learn of innovative bear defense devices, like Nat'l Geographic Chameleon Vision Goggles that let you "see predators coming up behind you with the mirrors on either side of the mask" --

Chameleon Vision Goggles

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/26/2013 14:38:03 MDT Print View

That should wither be a headlamp, or a bra

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 14:52:10 MDT Print View

Here is an excerpt from today's letter sent to all members.

-- We've started serving third party ads through an independent advertising network to help further subsidize the costs of serving forums to the public. At this time, ads will be hidden for Lifetime Members. We are not, and do not plan to, accept advertising directly from manufacturers. This conflict of interest remains an insidious part of the outdoor industry (and consumer products as a whole), in spite of claims towards editorial integrity. I'd simply like to avoid it. We plan to test this ad network for a period of 90 days, and reevaluate at the end of that time whether the maintenance, loss of editorial space, and the humorous present of occasionally strange and goofy ads is worth the additional revenue that the ads bring in. Early results from this week do suggest that this has the potential to have a VERY positive long term impact on the financial health, and revenue diversification, of BPL, and could allow us to (1) become debt-free sooner and/or (2) reinvest the proceeds into website development initiatives.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 14:55:23 MDT Print View

I have a question.

Don't you have to click on an ad for the site to receive money? Or does BPL get money for just having them up?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 10/26/2013 15:41:23 MDT Print View

It's complicated, but the short answer is that people actually have to click them.

Also, you can't just click them repeatedly to "hook up" BPL. Google has fancy software that detects abnormal clicks (like 10 clicks from one individual, or tons of clicks from a specific geographical area). If there are suspicious clicks, Google deducts that from a sites revenue and returns it to the advertiser. If it happens a lot that Google can terminate the ad agreement with a site without warning.

Also, if you click an ad and then close that window immediately then it doesn't pay much. It's complicated, but each ad that is displayed has a potential click value (based on competition between advertisers mostly) and then if the person who clicks it stays on that site for a while then the advertiser is charged the full amount (ie. $0.30) but if it's a short visit then the advertiser might pay half that. Then Google takes a big piece (32%) and passes the rest to the website.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 15:51:27 MDT Print View

I didn't get the letter....just one that said they have upgraded the customer support system. Followed by renewing my subscription.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Re: Re: Re: Ads on BPL. on 10/26/2013 16:55:43 MDT Print View

We don't get the letters, just the announcements.

Like this one, which made me laugh today:

"We understand that there are some of you that may have urgent issues that have not yet been addressed, for which you submitted tickets into our old customer support system, which was taken offline in September."

Notice they did not specify September of which year. Well played RJ. Well played.

(PS: The depth and diversity of DandyDans interests alone make my annual subscription price worthwhile. :))

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/26/2013 16:59:42 MDT.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 18:59:15 MDT Print View

So if a person wants to help, BPL would get the most revenue if they open an ad in a new tab and leave it up for a while. Right?

Edited by spelt on 10/26/2013 19:01:32 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 10/26/2013 21:29:58 MDT Print View

After about a minute of it being open you'd earn BPL max revenue, which would probably be around 40 cents. You could do that a few times per year and it would likely fly under the radar, but if you starting doing that regularly Google's fancy computer programs would notice and automatically subtract it off BPL's paycheck. If a bunch of people started doing it then Google might just axe BPL from their program.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 21:49:17 MDT Print View

I understand not wanting the system to be gamed, but isn't the point to have ads that are clicked on regularly? If I clicked, for example, one ad per day, is that going to help, or get me flagged and get BPL penalized?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ads on 10/26/2013 22:34:03 MDT Print View

So people actually click on those things. Interesting. People are funny.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Re: Ads on 10/27/2013 06:01:09 MDT Print View

I was hoping for an ad for that bra/head lamp lizard thing....

Edited by leadfoot on 10/27/2013 09:28:55 MDT.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 10/27/2013 07:45:35 MDT Print View

Ken: It depends on many factors, but usually 1-3% of people will click.

Spelt: It's tough to say because Google isn't very transparent about what's okay and what's not (or people would "game" it more). I doubt daily clicks would get BPL cut off (since any malicious person could do much more that that to any innocent website), but my hunch is that if you're doing enough clicking to generate any meaningful money to BPL, then it'll be noticed and subtracted off by Google's sharp software. Sure some people likely click ads daily for real, but this likely uncommon enough that Google just lumps all such activity in as suspicious. Keep in mind they don't have to prove anything, and they are very cautious with their filters and always side on the side of the advertiser because if advertisers think they're paying for meaningless clicks then they'll withdraw business.

My guess is that the best approach if you want to help BPL is to click an ad when you've actually got a bit of interest. If there's an ad about an Arcteryx sale and you like Arcteryx, give it a click and go check out the sale. How much an ad pays is based on more than just how long the window is open - it also matters how much clicking around you do on that new site, and some ads might even pay a bonus if you actually make a purchase.

Counting unregistered visitors, there seems to be a fair bit of traffic to this site and collectively it can add up. If done well, the traffic volumes that BPL has could probably generate a few grand per month (pretty wild guess because I'm using poor data on BPL's traffic volumes).

BPL Brass: If you're is reading this, there's a lot of room to improve on the ad setup (ie. optimize revenue). Shoot me a message.

Edited by dandydan on 10/27/2013 07:46:10 MDT.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Ads on 10/27/2013 09:30:22 MDT Print View

I would really hate to see this site end. What other ways would there be to keep it going?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

BPL on 10/27/2013 13:45:17 MDT Print View

BPL's going to be fine - especially with the new revenue model.

Consider the situation with membership fees. BPL has relatively fixed costs of creating interesting articles and they need to sell enough memberships to pay for that. If the membership drops too low, it may not possible to pay for articles and the site could fold. With membership fees, it doesn't work to scale the content to match the subscribers (ie. write less articles if less subscribers) because you hit a negative feedback cycle where if you drop the articles then even more people will leave, so you have to drop the articles even more, then everyone stops paying and then you're out of business.

Conversely, the ads monetize a portion of the site that costs relatively little to maintain (or should cost relatively little), thus with Google Ads the forums are almost guaranteed to be profitable, whereas before the forums were unprofitable because no one wants to pay membership fees for a forum. Thus in some form, BPL is almost guaranteed to be around now - even if it is just the forum. Rather than the forums being a drain on BPL, they'll be a profitable part of the site and actually enable BPL to generate more content. And of course with more quality content comes more subscribers, and thus you hit a positive feedback cycle where the site gets way better as they can invest more in content.

Not that anyone asked, but here's what I think BPL should do:
1) Make forum membership free. You'll get more lively forums with free membership and an overall increase in revenue because more ad clicking will go on. I know there was some spam problems with free memberships but those are easily solvable with other techniques (ie. incorporate a question during sign up that requires intelligence so computers can't do it).

2) Optimize ads so they're more profitable and less intrusive. For example, putting an ad at the bottom of the page is more profitable than in the sidebar, because no one looks at the sidebar while they are reading. When people get to the end of a page they're looking for something to click on, so an ad there does very well.

3) Consider making all the articles free. This might sound crazy, but it's how 90% of websites do it. With free articles there would be a huge increase in the number of readers. It would take a little time, but readership would go way up. Another option is a hybrid approach where membership is reduced to say $10 and members can read the articles immediately, while after a month they become open access. In the long run this seems way more profitable, as the vast majority of BPL's excellent catalog of articles is sitting there barely being read because it's closed access and most of the members who are going to read it already have. By opening it up, search engines would direct traffic to these articles for years and they would all chug along generating a few bucks a month each, which collectively can be a lot and thus support new content.

Ultimately, BPL's got an awesome website going. The contributors are awesome and if BPL can monetize it ideally so they're able and excited to generate top notch content then it could become better than ever.

Edited by dandydan on 10/27/2013 15:06:12 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: BPL on 10/27/2013 14:19:39 MDT Print View

I think those are great ideas Dan. The internet business model today is traffic, traffic, traffic. Do everything possible to generate visits. With BPL's huge archive of quality articles, it could dominate the internet's backpacking traffic.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 10/27/2013 14:31:41 MDT.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

"BPL has Ads now ? on 10/27/2013 15:23:56 MDT Print View

BPL started charging to use the forums because of truly horrendous spam attacks, which appear to have ceased since. That was cheaper than upgrading the ancient software. The $5/year is not significant revenue but is evidently enough to chase the spammers away, and that is its real purpose.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Forum Fees on 10/27/2013 15:48:48 MDT Print View

Forum fees chase a ton of potential users away also.

Edited by dandydan on 10/28/2013 06:27:12 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Ads on 10/27/2013 22:53:15 MDT Print View

Dan, a lot of useful information. Thanks for taking the time and educating us.

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Locale: Golden, CO
Ads on 10/28/2013 21:14:48 MDT Print View

I hate all these ads. I can't stand it any longer.

Ad image

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Ads on 10/28/2013 21:17:20 MDT Print View

Funny but I'm about to pull the trigger on the "Misuse of literally makes me insane figuratively" t shirt.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 10/28/2013 21:59:54 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Ads on 10/28/2013 21:42:14 MDT Print View

Got this today.

Dear BPL Lifetime Member,

I'd like to invite you to participate in a strategic planning survey that is specifically targeted to identify if MLIFE's are either supportive or opposed to seeing third-party advertising when they are logged in at backpackinglight.com with their MLIFE user account.

There is a brief introduction, followed by two questions. Thank you for participating - your feedback is incredibly valuable to me.

Please take the survey online here:

******I did not include the link as it is meant for MLifers only.************

Best Regards,
Ryan Jordan
Founder / CEO
Backpacking Light

It's a 90 day test period. We'll see.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Ads on 10/28/2013 23:08:13 MDT Print View

If you don't like ads, don't watch TV, don't go on the internet or leave your house. BPL finally wised up to make as much money as possible, first got membership, then ran ads.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Re: Ads on 10/29/2013 03:42:26 MDT Print View

Honestly, I am so bombarded with ads on other sites that I barely notice these. It's become a fact of life...sadly. We are no longer considered people, but consumers.

Van DeWald
(vwaldoguy)

Locale: Midwest
Don't See Them on 10/29/2013 04:39:01 MDT Print View

I have an ad blocker through Firefox, so I don't even see the ads on most websites. And if I did see them, I don't pay attention to them. Ad dollars are wasted on me.

(prse) - MLife

Re: Ads on 10/29/2013 04:48:17 MDT Print View

K C, that's a very simplified way to look at the situation.

It doesn't take much effort to be able to live in the real world without being bombarded with ads.

- Internet ads is extremely easy to avoid with a plug-in for your browser.

- Buy/rent the TV-shows, and the Movies you want to watch instead of just being a slave to regular TV-transmission. Ditch your cable and save the money while you are at it ;-)

- As for public ads (billboards, flashing signs) - get involved in local politics and make a difference - get the ads down to a tolerable level. Public ads can both be an eyesore or it can be done very tasteful. There's a lot of diversity in cities around the world on how this is being done.

(prse) - MLife

Future on 10/29/2013 04:59:14 MDT Print View

I don't think the future belongs to ads. They will probably be a part player.

Pay for your information/entertainment, and avoid most ads (the annoying ones anyway).
It has worked for me for a long time now (8 years)

Right now i pay for my Radio-shows, TV-shows, Movies, News, Books, Music, and the ad-level is low to non-existing.

I have not owned a TV in 8 years - a projector was i wise investment in my quest for quality movie/tv-show watching. Just a choice.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

New catch phrase on 10/29/2013 11:10:11 MDT Print View

I hate to contribute in an openly negative way, but I think in all seriousness part of what gets me is the seeming inconsistency. It is not just the advertisements themselves that I find coarse, but rather their context as a whole.

My impression of BPL is that it is a community that encourages hiking and backpacking and getting away from the hustle and bustle.
My impression of BPL is that it is a community that espouses packing light and bringing less "stuff".
My impression of BPL is that it is a community that teaches one to practice and develop skills rather than develop a false security in purchased goods and gear.

But with startling number of new members who have only ever posted into the now dominant forum Gear-Swap and the rest of the site swimming in blinking advertisements demanding attention and money for disposable "stuff", I cannot help but think the espoused philosophy of the community and the actual management of the site have become mis-aligned ... and every PlayStation4 banner and cotton T-shirt advertisement seems to twist that point home a little more.

Perhaps a new catch phrase is on the horizon:

Backpackinglight. Pay less. Buy more.

Edited by cfrey.0 on 10/29/2013 12:18:48 MDT.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: New catch phrase on 10/29/2013 11:21:05 MDT Print View

I resent paying a membership fee for a site that used to be ad free.
And now I have to suffer the ads taking up half of MY screen real-estate.

Seems to me if you pay a fee it should be ad free.
Conversely, if there are ads, then the site should be free and they should refund our membership fees.

Bill D

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Custom and Usage on 10/29/2013 11:44:09 MDT Print View

The mere fact of paying for something doesn't mean it *must* be ad-free...

Have you been to the movies in the last 15 years? You pay a lot of money for a ticket, yet there are dozens of product ads, movie trailers (i.e., ads to procure future ticket dollars) -- and, in case that's not enough, during the movie there are countless "product placements" (i.e., ads) stealthily woven into the story line! And yes, you paid to get in! So there is certainly a precedent in being subjected to ads, even where you pay for content.

Current custom and usage on the internet has developed to a point where ads are a "given". If you don't like that, perhaps you should be trying to make sweeping changes to our current social/commercial order...maybe we all should try much harder.

Dan proposed an alternate business model for developing BPL in a different direction. Of those who are complaining, do any of you have other constructive suggestions for BPL's future fiscal health?

I have only been on this site a few months (and just bought a forum membership to try it out), and so far, I see lots of value in keeping this site around. For whatever reason, BPL seems to have much more of a "community" feeling of involvement and helpfulness than many other "free" sites that I have browsed, and that's a rarity.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: BPL has Ads now ? on 10/29/2013 17:49:33 MDT Print View

Lov'n the advertisements. More Moosejaw please.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

BPL cost money ? on 11/02/2013 19:10:28 MDT Print View

It might be worth while remembering that it costs quite a lot of money to run BPL

Prove it, live up to the MLIFE contract and share the information that was promised to be made available.

Edited by redmonk on 11/02/2013 19:16:05 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Re: Re: New catch phrase on 11/02/2013 20:50:53 MDT Print View

Hi Bill

> I resent paying a membership fee for a site that used to be ad free.
That was the initial concept for the Forums.
But then the S/W the spammers use was upgraded to a new version which had figured out how to create hordes of spamming accounts on BPL, so I was deleting up to 50 spam postings a day.
The $5 Forum membership was not meant to be a money-raising exercise. It is there to stop the spammers.

Access to the articles always required a paid Membership, to help defray the costs.

Cheers

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
What came with the ads on 11/17/2013 15:12:06 MST Print View

Roger,
This has always been a great site.
A while back there was an invasion of automated ads being posted on the forum threads, and BPL managed to stop it. Before, during and after that episode I was a paid 'premium' member, and had been for several years.
With the new ad invasion, done by BPL itself, also came a 'doubleclick' feature, but only on the BPL website. This is a feature that I occasionally run into when visiting an unfamiliar site that comes up on a Google search, usually when trying to source some hard to find material or other.
What it does is partially disable the back button. It can be circumvented by right clicking on the back button, and clicking past the doubleclick entries on the list that comes up. But when I do that, I can't go forward to the page I was on before backing up. So, when composing a post, and needing to go back to review other posters' comments, links, or concerns, I can't go back to composing the post in progress, and have to start all over again. This means printing out hard copies from threads in order to address other posters' concerns and ideas.

I filled out and sent in contact forms to BPL several times about the above, and ended up with only a snippy answer, to which I responded as politely as I could, and got no response.

I readily admit to being severely IT challenged. That is because at my age, time is more precious than ever, and I'd much rather spend it donating the skills I do have to others than sitting glued to a computer for hours and hours trying to acquire new IT skills. So it boils down to whether a website is friendly or not. If it's friendly, I can use it as a tool to communicate without wasting much time. If it's not, I'm at the mercy of the system, and would be better off doing constructive things, like building my own gear, working for my trail club, developing workshops for others in my profession, etc.

Currently, I would have to say that BPL is not a friendly site. That's because being IT challenged, and being at the mercy of some of those who are not, too much time is being spent wrestling with the site. That is too bad, because the articles on the site used to be its greatest value, and when that changed, the members took up the slack on the forums, preserving much of the value of the site. But a number of the more experienced backpackers, some quite well known, also stopped contributing.

Lately, the ads have been muted a little, but that is not the real problem here.
I've spent much of this Sunday reading and reflecting on this thread, searching for apps that might allow me to navigate this site, being bilked and having to uninstall a few, and generally, just wasting a lot of time. If this site is unfriendly, it's going down, and you are not going to be able to keep it afloat by yourself.

The next step at this end could be to take the computer to a technician, or several because it's hard to find a good one, blow a lot of money to make sure the computer is operating properly and get the apps to stop the doubleclick. After that, maybe it's time to look for information elsewhere, which is very sad given the great help other backpackers have been here, people like you who are willing to give their time to sharing information and helping the site. But each of us has a breaking point. I got into this site when recovering from major surgery and needed alternatives for spending time without overexertion. But I'm better now, and may try something else. Maybe one of the sites from your country, who knows.

Hope all is well.
Sam

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Reply to PM on 11/17/2013 17:47:07 MST Print View

Doug,
Was not even able to reply to your PM now.
Kept getting the 'not logged in' message, even after repeated logins,
and checking my profile to be sure my email address was still in there.
What was it Scotty used to say on Star Trek - "Captain, she's breakin' up!"

At any rate, thank you for the suggestion. Way over my head, but I can spend some time with your directions and see if I can follow them.
Appreciate your assistance.
Thanks,
Sam

Edit-Update: OK the light dawned. When I'm in the middle of post, and want to check out a product for specs etc on another website, just minimize the posting window, reopen the browser in a new window, go to the other site and get the info, and then restore the window where the posting is going on. Can do the same thing with the BPL thread. Thank you for helping me get the light on. Duh.

Edited by scfhome on 11/17/2013 19:04:23 MST.

Roger Caffin

Re: Reply to PM on 11/17/2013 21:20:31 MST Print View

Hi Sam

> Edit-Update: OK the light dawned. When I'm in the middle of post, and want to check
> out a product for specs etc on another website, just minimize the posting window,
> reopen the browser in a new window,
Yeah, that works.
But you can also just create a new tab in the current window. For Firefox, click on the little tab near the top located to the right of the current tabs, with a + in it. I am sure something similar works in IE or Chrome.

If you want to click on a URL in your current window, try right-click and 'open in a new tab'. Now you can swap tabs.

Cheers

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

About the ads on 11/17/2013 23:35:47 MST Print View

Thank you, Roger. Will practice with that.

For the severely IT challenged like me, browsing with Internet Explorer:
Click the gear-shaped icon in upper right for tools.
Move the cursor to safety and select Tracking Protection.
In the window that comes up, select Get On Tracking Protection List On Line.
The new window should be self-explanatory.
OR
On Tools, click on Manage Add-Ons
In the window that comes up, select Tracking Protection
Then select Get On Tracking Protection list On Line
Same as above

Also did some other stuff involving preserving ad choices, but don't know if it was necessary. Got there by Googling double-click and scrolling down until found something that looked helpful, and not just touting Google to advertisers. (Alas, may have blocked some helpful cookies needed for accessing some functions).

So now, not only are the ads gone, but the double-click went with them.
Got to feeling better about all of this by pretending I was out bushwacking through an almost impenetrable forest. Real bushwacking is much more beneficial to mind and body of course. In any event, can now navigate BPL peacefully and simply again. So can go back to doing something constructive. The day was not a total waste after all (I hope).

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: About the ads on 01/10/2014 08:30:19 MST Print View

My computer has become horribly unrensponsive. I think I should really get more memory which would help, but...

I think the ads on backpackinglight.com and my yahoo email are just killing me

So, I tried Sam's suggestion - tools, safety, tracking protection, get a tracking protection list online, easy list standard

Works much better now, thanks

Hate to do this because I think it takes away from BPL revenue, but I hate having to buy a new PC even more

I just hate yahoo email period, but too much hassle to switch

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Re: Re: About the ads on 01/10/2014 09:59:09 MST Print View

Reminder to everyone that the support function has supposedly been revamped, and to make your concerns known.

http://support.backpackinglight.com/support/home

I would have to disable about 6 addons to let the ads show, but it seems for those who are seeing them they have made being on the site very frustrating and negative. Something Ryan should be told about directly (imo).

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: About the ads on 01/10/2014 10:05:06 MST Print View

I use AdBlock.

Simple settings.

I see no degradation in performance, and I suspect I get an improvement due to less handshaking and loading.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: About the ads on 01/10/2014 10:13:17 MST Print View

Jerry,

You have a MLIFE membership so you can turn off the ads within BPL.

Have you tried to remove malware from your computer to speed things up?

There are free programs like AdAware, SpyBot, and MalewareBytes that can do this. I use all 3, because each alone doesn't catch everything.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: About the ads on 01/10/2014 10:50:00 MST Print View

thanks Nick

I tried turning off ads within BPL but it seemed to make something else not work

I switched from McAfee to Norton and it seems to work better. What I hated about McAfee is it would occasionally update or scan my hard disk, which totally sucked computer resources so I couldn't do anything until done. Plus, Norton is part of something else I already have rather than paying for McAfee.

Maybe I'll try those free programs, thanks

Why do they do this to us????

I should switch to Linux, but that has problems too, mainly some programs I want to use don't work on Linux (I think)

Edited by retiredjerry on 01/10/2014 10:52:22 MST.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Re: Re: About the ads on 01/10/2014 11:28:56 MST Print View

I switched to Firefox browser and popup blocker plug-in...
easy...

now no ads on BPL or other sites... what a relief

and Firefox is touted as more secure than IE

Billy

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
ads on 01/10/2014 19:39:00 MST Print View

I use adblock as well.

I was unaware there were any adds until recently when I got a new computer.

How fricking cheesy the site is, for paying members, with ads.

Installed adblock on new computer, life is sweet again.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: ads on 01/10/2014 19:54:14 MST Print View

There isn't a lot of money to be made to pay expenses

I don't mind looking at ads, especially if it's going to help pay for the site

But if it way slows down my PC, forget about it. Sometimes my PC would just sit there for 30 seconds without doing anything. Sometimes it will just make obnoxious noise when I click or press key - I suspect Internet Explorer is either designed to do this or ad designers have figured out how to exploit IE. One level better than hackers.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: ads on 01/10/2014 20:58:27 MST Print View

Jerry -
Something is seriously wrong with your system.

And I doubt if it has anything to do with BPL, ads, or IE.

I think your system is seriously hacked.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Ads on 01/10/2014 21:33:24 MST Print View

Jerry, I extremely doubt your troubles have anything to do with BPL's ads. The ad system here on BPL is operated by Google and it is a system used by millions of websites worldwide and virtually no one accuses this ad system of causing virus's etc because Google makes way too much money of it is to goof around with malware.

You should take some steps to rid your computer of malware or if it's too much hassle/complexity then get a Mac.

Also, BPL makes virtually no money just from the ads being viewed, so blocking them doesn't affect BPL if you aren't clicking anyways. Clicks are really what counts - for about 20 cents each. Also there's no point in scamming the system because Google detects unusual patterns (like 5 clicks from one computer) and just cancels that revenue automatically. The best bet is only to click ads if you're genuinely interested.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Ads on 01/10/2014 23:26:07 MST Print View

I should try Nick's malware links

My PC is a 5 year old Toshiba Satelite with 2G of memory. Maybe I need to upgrade. I just switched to Norton which says I am using too much of my memory.

It does work much better after turning off ads.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Ads on 01/12/2014 08:41:59 MST Print View

Okay, used it for a few days now, much better after Sam's suggestion which took 1 minute and was free - tools - manage addons - tracking protection - get a tracking protection list online - click "add" for the first one, "easy list standard" (which is from adblock).

Now I don't have long (30 second) delays when I get to a new site during which my PC becomes unresponsive.

Same for a number of other sites, like yahoo email, that were giving me trouble.

I don't think ads have viruses or anything, just that they consume system resources. I think maybe I have barely enough memory. Turning off ads removes this bottleneck.

I looked into increasing memory. Someone said you can't use cheap memory, you need good one like Kingston. Maybe $60. Maybe I could install, but I'de hate to break my PC. If I got someone to do it, that's more $. New PC is maybe $400. My PC is old and other failures are likely. But, I would hate to have to re-install software and stuff with a new PC. I couldn't use my Office 2003 so I might have to buy new. I hate trade-offs like this. I think my current PC works just fine...

I also installed "Ad-Aware". Free. Took a number of minutes plus restart. It hung on downloading definitions but this worked after restart. I scanned my hard disk and it deleted 61 suspicious cookies. I have no idea if any of this makes any difference. I hate having one more process running in the background, "protecting me", consuming system resources, possibly making things worse.

Sorry for the "ad nauseum" detail. Maybe someone else is experiencing the same problem. Just do Sam's suggestion and don't bother with the malware software...

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Ads on 01/12/2014 09:27:23 MST Print View

"Just do Sam's suggestion and don't bother with the malware software..."

This is very bad advice, and I think you're foolish for not having malware/virus software on a PC (or on a Mac, for that matter). You don't have to leave it running in the background, you can just run it once a week or so, but malware is so prevalent today anyone who doesn't have some kind of virus/malware checker on their computer is being silly.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
protection on 01/12/2014 13:00:50 MST Print View

Since I started hiding the computers behind a router at home, I cant remember the last time I actually had a malware or virus caught by AV software.

Some ISPs run antivirus on their Routers. Im not sure how it works, but I know we have ATT now and it does.

A router is truly the #1 best protection for your computer. AV software is #2.

Edited by livingontheroad on 01/12/2014 13:01:53 MST.