WM Summer light - How Cold?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
"Overlofting" a Summerlite.... on 10/23/2013 09:54:22 MDT Print View

Interesting. $40 bucks isn't bad. I might have to check into "overlofting" my Summerlite. Might extend its range into the low 20's for me. It could also extend the useful life of the bag although mine is still going strong. I freaking love that thing. Best bag I've ever had or used.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer light it is.... on 10/23/2013 17:02:37 MDT Print View

"I need to do this. Your bag Summerlite was noticeably loftier than mine on our last trip"

I think you'll find it to be $40 well spent, Craig. On my last trip, when it got down into the low 20's I needed to add my MB Extremely Lite down shirt, but then I don't have much natural insulation and I get cold now more easily in any case. I suspect it would take most folks down that far without extra clothing. Besdies, being the first kid on your block to own a Summerlite Puffay would be super cool.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
WM Summer light - How Cold? on 10/23/2013 17:09:51 MDT Print View

BTW, just like any other gear, you only get the best performance out of a sleeping bag if used "correctly"
In this case that is having a clean sb that has had a good shake ,well before getting inside it , to get the maximum loft and is on top of a correspondingly "warm" mat.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Overstuff on 10/24/2013 23:53:54 MDT Print View

I had WM overstuff my bag. They told me they would add about 2 oz but my bag weighed 4 oz. more after overstuffing (18.9 before, 22.9 after on a 6 ft bag). I used it down to 30 in August but had to wear my M10 to keep warm.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
WM Summer light - How Cold? on 10/25/2013 05:12:50 MDT Print View

I seem to remember something about Summerlite not gaining much warmth by overstuffing.
The exception being times when the down has become compressed from moisture or other cause.

I suspect that a fully fluffed standard fill bag in dry weather would perform pretty close the overstuffed version.

The advantage of overstuffing could be when you in very wet conditions where the bag has absorbed moisture, with the moisture compressing the down.

Maybe an overstuffed bag wouldn't compress as much?

I have seen my Summerlite's loft shrink overnight in cool high humidity situations.

Maybe I need to look into overstuffing?

Edited by brooklynkayak on 10/25/2013 06:27:55 MDT.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Maybe I need to look into overstuffing? on 10/25/2013 06:08:23 MDT Print View

The thing I noticed once I had down added to my Summerlite was a bit more loft, yes, but mostly that the down stayed in place better. I live in an area with typically low (<10%) relative humidity so moisture accumulation is not normally an issue. Also, I didn't need to shake the down to the top of the bag as much as I did before the overfill. And, my bag gained just about 2 oz in the overfill process.

Z V
(Overshot03)

Locale: Maine / NY
Intriguing comments on 10/25/2013 11:01:10 MDT Print View

I'm just thinking of the pros /cons for an overstuffed Summerlight, vs an ultralight. It seems that by the time you have a Summerlight overfilled, the weight would be within the ballpark of an ultralight. Ballpark meaning within 6-8 ounces. By using a Summerlight down into the 20's I would need additional clothing as mentioned. Insulated pants, and puffy jacket. I would already have a jacket for those conditions obviously, but could use a lighter one.

I'm thinking that

1) an overfilled Summerlight with additional sleep clothes would be heavier than an ultralight in cool weather (20's)

2)an ultralight in warmer temps (40's) would mean carrying extra fill weight when it may not be needed.

I would say the majority of time, this would be a compromise between the scenarios. For th most part, it seems you can't go wrong with either choice.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Intriguing comments on 10/25/2013 11:29:42 MDT Print View

The Summerlite does not have a draft collar.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Re: Intriguing comments on 10/25/2013 12:22:41 MDT Print View

yes, the Summerlite has no draft collar and very little down in the hood.

Not an issue for me as I wear down hooded sweater and/or other layers in mine when it's cold outside.

Hoods and draft collar are really only important for people who don't wear a lot of clothing in their bag.

This is the reason why quilts have become popular with the UL crowd, to reduce unnecessary weight.