Forum Index » GEAR » Golite Chrome or collapsible Chrom umbrella

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lance Stalnaker
(Katangi)
Golite Chrome or collapsible Chrome umbrella on 10/21/2013 19:50:02 MDT Print View

What do you think? I am leaning the regular chrome dome, but the collapsible is on clearance and does pack smaller.

Edited by Katangi on 10/21/2013 19:51:01 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Golite Chrome or collapsible Chrome umbrella on 10/21/2013 19:58:52 MDT Print View

The big one is pretty tough and a dead simple design. If you want one for urban/travel use then the collapsible one might have some advantage; otherwise, the longer one will stow in a side pocket and under the compression straps like tent poles if you pack has such features.

Lance Stalnaker
(Katangi)
thanks on 10/21/2013 20:05:25 MDT Print View

The chrome dome seems to be simpler and sturdier, it is also 3 oz lighter, I would be using this backpacking, I will still be under 10#, so a few comfort items are ok!

Vladimir Kucherov
(theonlyvlad) - M
chrome dome on 10/21/2013 20:42:58 MDT Print View

For backpacking I would get the non collapsible. It's incredibly simple - I wouldn't trade the strength of a non collapsible shaft for extra space savings when collapsed.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Skeptic on these umbrellas. on 10/21/2013 21:09:37 MDT Print View

I shared dinner with some europeans on my local mountain with 15-part hammock setups, Arcteryx everything, and Golite umbrellas. I thought the umbrellas looked a little silly. I say, do what you want, it's the woods, and I didn't say anything about it to them.

I can see them being useful in the desert, not really in the forest.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Skeptic on these umbrellas. on 10/21/2013 21:20:39 MDT Print View

I was a non-believer until I hiked the PCT.
The umbrellas were a god-send.
Those without them withered.
Why people live in the desert is still a mystery to me.
The weakness of the umbrella was in the wind or in low hanging chaparral ... in both cases I would want the security of the stiffer non-collapsible.

(PS: Max I saw your posted photo album from your last trip. Don't pretend you care about looking silly.)

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Golite Chrome or collapsible Chrome umbrella on 10/21/2013 22:05:17 MDT Print View

Go with the non fiddle factor full size. If you buy from Golite you can get two for the same shipping cost as one.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Re: chrome on 10/21/2013 22:29:39 MDT Print View

My chrome dome was one of the absolute important items I didn't bring on my backpacking trip to AK this summer, I was huddling next to my buddies with umbrellas by a fire in relentless rain in 36F temps.

John Myers
(dallas) - F - MLife

Locale: North Texas
Re: chrome dome on 10/22/2013 06:26:12 MDT Print View

"For backpacking I would get the non collapsible. It's incredibly simple - I wouldn't trade the strength of a non collapsible shaft for extra space savings when collapsed."

What he said.