(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Attacks on 10/26/2013 13:47:21 MDT Print View

Wow.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Attacks on 10/26/2013 13:54:02 MDT Print View

Breathe..... breathe..... step away from the computer.... relax....

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Ken? on 10/26/2013 13:58:41 MDT Print View

I take it you won't answer the question? The Palin satire link you passed off as journalism? 3rd attempt.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Attacks on 10/26/2013 13:59:16 MDT Print View

wow Kat....I did not know that I was beholden to you! :)

My bad, I will rush right over to whatever thread that was and answer pronto.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Attacks on 10/26/2013 14:05:07 MDT Print View

Nope Fred...take it as it is...whatever. Now go and enjoy your day. I'm working...or at least trying to

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Locale: Colorado
Peter Pan on 10/26/2013 14:53:36 MDT Print View

Ken H,

I hope you find your Happy Place and somebody gives you back your marbles.

Your friend

Captain Hook

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Peter Pan on 10/26/2013 14:58:36 MDT Print View

ahhhh that is not very nice of you....now move on and find something else to do...kay?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re Kat on 10/26/2013 15:10:56 MDT Print View

"If it was the I......(my dots) leader we better not go there, that would send this down the chaff toilet worse than arguing about guns"

True, unfortunately, which ensures that the American People will remain abysmally ignorant of what has been, and continues to be, done in their name, with their tax dollars, at great and spiralling cost both to others and themselves, ultimately in a doomed cause. I am not, however, trying to initiate a discussion of the subject, given the general attitudes I have seen displayed here on other less controversial subjects, for it could easily end up with this website harrassed out of business and some people here finding themselves the subject of increased suveillance. Myself included.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Justice/ on 10/26/2013 15:20:26 MDT Print View

"I do understand the old saying that "Under an eye for an eye the whole world is blind."

And under a tooth for a tooth, we all starve to death. Do you think we'll learn in time to avoid catastrophe?

"On the other hand, sometimes we must make sacrifices in the interests of justice."

I would feel better if this were amended to say "self sacrifices". As things stand, innocents other than ourselves are usually sacrificed in the pursuit of our version of justice. Not surprisingly, they often refuse to go quietly into the night and, to our self righteous consternation, we find ourselves making a few sacrifices of our own.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Haters is a strong word. on 10/26/2013 15:37:06 MDT Print View

calvin and hobbs

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Chaff supreme. on 10/26/2013 15:42:50 MDT Print View

"But I do find it somewhat hypocritical and smug to have someone that is NOT a citizen of this country to have beliefs and criticism of this country when they do live hear and do not take part of the political system that is offered."

I've been trying to stay out of this one, Ken, but you pulled me off the sidelines with this comment. Everyone who lives here has a right to their opinions and a corresponding right to express them. First Amendment rights are not restricted to US citizens. Personally, I find Katharina's opinions to be far better considered and on the mark than most of what I see here, even on those occasions where we diverge, and I often wish she was a citizen. Further, to the degree she is still European in her world view, she brings welcome perspective to political discussions that have become dangerously ingrown as a result of nearly 3 centuries of isolation from the rest of the world. The disastrous results of that isolation, which has led to arrogant, ignorant conduct in the wider world, are only now beginning to surface. They are a dangerous portent for our future if we continue to dismiss them as cavalierly as we have to date. We are in urgent need of many more fresh perspectives, from all parts of this diverse world, if we are to have a chance at the bright future we are capable of, and Kat's is as good a place to start as any.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re Kat on 10/26/2013 15:48:33 MDT Print View

or people would come to our houses and do who knows what : )

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chaff supreme. on 10/26/2013 15:50:31 MDT Print View

+1 Tom

I think diversity is what has made this nation so exceptional!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Citizenship on 10/26/2013 15:50:44 MDT Print View

I am working on getting my citizenship; It is a process that I have started and had delayed for various reasons in the past.

@Tom.....I am pretty sure that I already am on that list...

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attacks on 10/26/2013 15:53:46 MDT Print View

Re: Re: Re: Re: Attacks Posted 10/26/2013 14:05:07 MDT by Ken Helwig (kennyhel77)
Nope Fred...take it as it is...whatever.

So you link to a joke satire piece, about a conservative politician, and pass it off as a credible article... get called on it, and that's your answer?

Classy

Edited by BFThorp on 10/26/2013 16:55:54 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attacks on 10/26/2013 16:06:47 MDT Print View

yep sure is...have a good day!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: "Tea Party Haters" on 10/26/2013 16:27:12 MDT Print View

"MediCare doesn't pay doctors enough to stay in business. Other revenue streams from other payers subsidizes Medicare patients. IF it's all Medicare who will subsidize that?"

I know a lot of docs up here who seem to be doing just fine, and almost all of them tell me that they would gladly settle for less money if they could eliminate all the hassles of dealing with insurance companies and go back to practicing medicine. Something about job satisfaction and professional integrity. My impression is that very few of them are in it solely for the money, but I suppose I could be mistaken about that. I am easily fooled when it comes to things like that. Chalk it up to my liberal tendencies. ;0)

As for Medicare subsidies, if everyone goes on Medicare, we reduce fraud to an absolute minimum, make a serious at preventive care by making a major effort to educate folks on the benefits of diet and exercise beginning in kindergarten, and reintroduce phys ed into schools at every grade level, eliminate the profit making insurance companies from the equation, I frankly doubt we will have to increase subsidies at all. However, I do not pretend to have all the answers to this complex problem. To be truthful, if I were in charge, the first thing I would do is a serious study of how other developed countries are managing to pull it off at a fraction of the cost of medical care here, before attempting to reinvent the wheel. Of course, that would require us to give up our long cherished claims of exceptionalism, which might be an unintended health benefit.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Citizenship on 10/26/2013 16:37:20 MDT Print View

"@Tom.....I am pretty sure that I already am on that list..."

Let's hope not. But that could change in the future, if things continue along their present trajectory. If it ends up that way, take some small comfort in the knowledge that you won't be alone. ;)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Citizenship on 10/26/2013 16:39:10 MDT Print View

"I am working on getting my citizenship;"

Let me be among the first to congratulate you, and bid you welcome!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: "Tea Party Haters" on 10/26/2013 17:30:43 MDT Print View

I don't know that you need to eliminate insurance companies Tom

The problem now is that they make more profit if they deny or delay claims, so they make it difficult for healthcare people

But you need an organization to collect claims data. To control fraud. to collect data on which treatments are effective and recommend the most effective treatments in the future.

If you get rid of insurance companies, all those people will be out of a job, and you'll have to hire new groups of people.

If your plan is to get rid of insurance companies, they will fight you like they did Clinton, running "Thelma and Louise" ads.

Pay insurance companies 5% of the claims or something. The government could audit them for accuracy. The insurance companies would probably like this because it would be more reliable long term.

I think most medicare people have "Medicare Plus" insurance policies where the insurance company does most of the administration, not the government.