Tea Party Haters
Display Avatars Sort By:
Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Tea Party Haters on 10/21/2013 15:54:36 MDT Print View

Curious why so many seem to despise the TP? I'd also like to know how much the haters know about the TP, doctrine/manifesto, secret hand-shake, elected leaders, etc.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Tea Party Haters on 10/21/2013 16:17:12 MDT Print View

Pretty simple for me.

I agree with their core principles of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and somewhat with free market economics.

The first two principles speak for themselves but free market economics is not so simple in my opinion. In a true capitalist society, if a bank used poor judgment and gave loans to anyone who had a pulse who walked through their doors, this behavior would be corrected when/if people defaulted on their loans. Unfortunately we don't allow capitalism to work the way it should and bail out too large to fail banks and insurance companies when they follow poor business practices. It's fair to say that many of these banks were pressured to make many of these mortgages available to undeserving customers so this is admittedly oversimplified but you get my point. Bottom line to me, if your service is so critical to the economic survival of the U.S. that a tax payer bailout may become necessary, then more government regulation and oversight is necessary. If your business is one that can simply fall to the wayside if it fails, then leave it alone for the most part (OSHA, food inspections, etc notwithstanding).

In spite of this, I was on board with their platform and subscribed to their newsletter (which I still receive) but they quickly lost my support for a few reasons:

1) They take Taxed Enough Already too seriously. There are three ways to earn more than you spend (in my opinion): lower spending, raise tax revenue, and stimulate the economy therefore raising tax revenue without raising the tax rate. Without going too far into my personal economic theory, all three have their limits and there are times where taxes need to be raised. Obviously if you go too far with raising taxes, you can kill jobs and create a financial burden on the average citizen but there are times when it's appropriate. I think their "never ever ever raise taxes" mantra is naive and a recipe for disaster.

2) They started venturing outside the scope of their charter. Once I started receiving emails from them in opposition to gay marriage, I completely gave up on them. The economy is enough to keep them busy for several generations; there's absolutely no reason for them to take on outside issues like this and alienate people from what they are trying to accomplish. I personally believe that gay marriage is guaranteed under the 14th Amendment and feel that they are trying to apply the constitution as they find convenient.

There's more than that for me but these are the major points.

Edit to add: I pondered the other day that admitting that you used to support the Tea Party is like admitting that you've been to a Nickleback concert. You permanently lose street cred after that.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 10/21/2013 16:22:31 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Tea Party Haters on 10/21/2013 16:19:01 MDT Print View

There's the approximately 30 TP representatives that want to shut down the government and not raise the debt limit that would cause even more chaos. That's some reason to hate them.

If a group of Democrats shut down the government and didn't raise the debt limit unless the Republicans agreed to a bunch of gun regulations (or choose some other liberal policy) I'de hate them too.

In recent elections, some TP people won their primary but couldn't get elected so their Democrat opponent won. If a more moderate Republican ran, they would have won. This effect may be stronger in the next election, like it's possible the Democrats could win the House. In this case, I'm going to start loving the Teap Party : )

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 00:00:24 MDT Print View

The Tea Party started as a somewhat non partisan or libertarian movement opposed to taxation and overspending.
It was hijacked by neoconservatives, right wing Christians, and racists. This is why many libertarians, Ron Paul for example, avoid associating themselves with the Tea Party. They may agree with the founding principles but the idiots that the movement attracts have ruined it.
And then neoconservative, statist republicans used the tea party as a launching point for their campaign. These people completely go against the founding principles of the tea party but the party is already hijacked, so whatever I guess...

Of course there are plenty of videos of a guy walking around looking for stupid people to interview and ask tough questions and filtering out anyone who answers intelligently.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 06:52:43 MDT Print View

@ Scott.
"People hate the tea party because they are hypocrites, racist, and basically stupid".

Lots of good information. Didn't know about the racism.

Didn't the TP support Allen West? ...or Cruz

Please explain

Edited by BFThorp on 10/22/2013 07:15:04 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 07:36:38 MDT Print View

"It was hijacked by neoconservatives, right wing Christians, and racists."

and by corporists, like the Koch brothers who finance it, like with fancy buses with big American flags on the outside

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 09:21:31 MDT Print View

"Of course there are plenty of videos of a guy walking around looking for stupid people to interview and ask tough questions and filtering out anyone who answers intelligently."

+1 I don't support them but you can't hold them responsible for the nut-job in that last video.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 09:32:58 MDT Print View

Exactly, Ian. Here's one with Liberals signing a petition to increase the police state and model it after Nazi Germany:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02E4cj4Vvo#t=48

Extremely stupid, low info voters on BOTH sides.

Matt

Edited by bigfoot2 on 10/22/2013 09:34:16 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 10:34:02 MDT Print View

see, I told you so, Matt has some redemption possibility : )

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Where on 10/22/2013 10:42:06 MDT Print View

Where's the racism? Nobody want this one?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Where on 10/22/2013 10:59:49 MDT Print View

Fred - redemption possibility? - not so clear : )

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Where on 10/22/2013 11:05:32 MDT Print View

"Where's the racism? Nobody want this one?"

Are there racists in the Tea Party? Yes. There are also racists among the Democrats, Whig Party, Communist Party, Dance Party, NFL, Elk Snort Wyoming Chapter of the Red Hat Society (Marge is as bigoted as they come), and I heard that the guy who works at that gas station down yonder really really hates "them thar foreigners."

Are they officially bigoted against homosexuals? Yes based on emails I've received from them. I suspect I've deleted all of them but I'll try to find one that I can copy and paste here later.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Huh on 10/22/2013 11:20:06 MDT Print View

People here have thrown racism out on the table or agreed with it. I find it a little hard to believe that a grassroots organization, with no structure, and a few core objectives, could all the sudden be the next generation of mouth breathing klansmen.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Huh on 10/22/2013 11:30:50 MDT Print View

Ok... I'll be less subtle this time.

The Tea Party is not racist as an organization. It is a large organization so not surprisingly, there are racists within the party. Anti-Tea Party zealots, like the guy who videotaped that psycho in the video linked above, will cherry pick the crazies from the Tea Party and present them to the world as being representative of the entire party.

Bigoted as an organization against homosexuals? Yes. Racist? Not that I've seen other than some bad apples from within their membership.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 10/22/2013 11:31:45 MDT.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Sync posting on 10/22/2013 13:06:56 MDT Print View

Sorry Ian as I hadn't seen your last post when I entered mine. I get the bad apple part. I don't see bigoted actions. I see people that don't believe certain issues fall under the jurisdiction of the fed, and are thus labeled non caring a-holz. I've been told that myself.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 14:00:43 MDT Print View

"see, I told you so, Matt has some redemption possibility : )"

Not sure that makes me feel better, Jerry :)

Matt

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Huh on 10/22/2013 14:08:36 MDT Print View

"I find it a little hard to believe that a grassroots organization, with no structure, and a few core objectives, could all the sudden be the next generation of mouth breathing klansmen."

Does the TP have any African Americans or Hispanics in its membership?

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Google this on 10/22/2013 14:28:02 MDT Print View

20 of the most racist tea party signs

or

Kentucky Tea Party sells "Yup I'm a racist" fourth of July T-shirts

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Tea Party Haters on 10/22/2013 15:25:50 MDT Print View

"And another thing...beyond Grayson and his cross, there's Democrat Senator Harry Reid refering to Barack Obama as light-skinned and not speaking in "Negro" dialect. And Democrat Vice President Joe Biden refering to Barack Obama as "clean and articulate." Where oh where is the outrage from NAACP, National Urban League, Congressional Black Caucus, Rev's Jackson or Sharpton? Oops, I forgot -- white liberal progressives have a get out of jail free card. It's just tragic that these traitors are selling the black community out to the party of slavery, Ku Klux Klan, Jim Crow, literacy tests, poll tax, and modern day economic servitude. And they call me Uncle Tom?"--

Allen West

Rep. Alan Grayson's use of burning cross imagery in his recent fundraising email. Maybe he ought to crack open a history book, in between histrionics, to learn it was his party who created the KKK.

t

So, Dean...who's REALLY the racist here??

Matt

Edited by bigfoot2 on 10/22/2013 15:49:53 MDT.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Pretty inflammatory on 10/22/2013 15:32:57 MDT Print View

The photo that is. Pun intended.

It took Superman to decimate the KKK.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

Edited by oware on 10/22/2013 15:34:43 MDT.